Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2018
Apple Valley, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
One of the 2 pool lights is not working. It looks like it is trying to come on but is almost dark. The other light fixture is bright. The spa light is a seperate switch and it works. I just cleaned my filters today and may have sprayed some water into something?

Fish,
What kind of lights do you have? Sounds like it's probably a bad light but I'd check the junction box wiring just because it's pretty easy. A photo would be helpful. Not likely that you sprayed water into anything that would cause this.

Chris

Reactions: Fishy1234
Fish,
What kind of lights do you have? Sounds like it's probably a bad light but I'd check the junction box wiring just because it's pretty easy. A photo would be helpful. Not likely that you sprayed water into anything that would cause this.

Chris
I need to find my paperwork, but everything is Pentair. Thinking intellibright or something like that. I will confirm.

OK you have Intellibrite LED lights. They're pretty expensive. Normally the two in the pool are wired together in a junction box that uses 12vac from a pool LED transformer. Since your other lights work the transformer is working so it's either the light itself is bad or less likely but easy to check the wire nut connection has come loose over the years. Replacement lights are close over $700 each. And this is a trade-grade product so you'll need to get an authorized service to replace it to have a full warranty.

Wish I had better news. Maybe one of our experts has a better solution @ajw22 @Jimrahbe ?

Chris

OK you have Intellibrite LED lights. They're pretty expensive. Normally the two in the pool are wired together in a junction box that uses 12vac from a pool LED transformer. Since your other lights work the transformer is working so it's either the light itself is bad or less likely but easy to check the wire nut connection has come loose over the years. Replacement lights are close over $700 each. And this is a trade-grade product so you'll need to get an authorized service to replace it to have a full warranty.

Wish I had better news. Maybe one of our experts has a better solution @ajw22 @Jimrahbe ?

Chris
Invoice indicates 120V 5G color. So is the bulb 120V?

Yep, you do have the 120vac version. Sorry but I'm not familiar with this one. It does not use the transformer that most of the newer ones do. Not sure what your options are but one of our experts should know and respond. They're both pretty active here. I would not be concerned about running one light only though.

Chris

Sigh... You should talk to a Pentair expert, but it looks like the updated version of this light is 602188, and I'm seeing prices over $1000. You might find a pool supply place with old stock.

A couple of notes:
1) Your light is actually 120 vac, not 12. There's no external transformer for this version (only inside the light itself). Again you should listen to experts, but failed light might be a leaky light. 120 volts in contact with water is never good. If it were my pool, I'd not turn them on again until the faulty light is physically disconnected at the junction box.
2) Price of these lights can vary pretty amazingly with length of wire. If your installation can use one of the shorter lengths, it will save some $$$.

Sigh... You should talk to a Pentair expert, but it looks like the updated version of this light is 602188, and I'm seeing prices over $1000. You might find a pool supply place with old stock.

A couple of notes:
1) Your light is actually 120 vac, not 12. There's no external transformer for this version (only inside the light itself). Again you should listen to experts, but failed light might be a leaky light. 120 volts in contact with water is never good. If it were my pool, I'd not turn them on again until the faulty light is physically disconnected at the junction box.
2) Price of these lights can vary pretty amazingly with length of wire. If your installation can use one of the shorter lengths, it will save some $$$.
Good grief, just my luck. If it is a flooded light, wouldn't the gfci trip?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good grief, just my luck. If it is a flooded light, wouldn't the gfci trip?
Theoretically, yes. Would I rely on that? No. Disconnecting at the junction box is a 10-minute job a most. Again, I'm just a pool owner. I hope one of the experts will chime in.

What gets me is that building code requires electric outlets to be at least 8 feet away from the water. So how is it possible to put 120VAC light right next to the water?
If they required every outlet by the pool to be GFCI protected by a GFCI CB at the electrical panel then they could allow outlets closer to the pool. That has a significant cost to the consumer over allowing the use of GFCI outlets neat the pool. But GFCI outlets only protect what is plugged into them so you need to keep the outlet itself well away from water.

If they required every outlet by the pool to be GFCI protected by a GFCI CB at the electrical panel then they could allow outlets closer to the pool. That has a significant cost to the consumer over allowing the use of GFCI outlets neat the pool. But GFCI outlets only protect what is plugged into them so you need to keep the outlet itself well away from water.
Cost? I mean, how much is your life worth? I'm not convinced that the pool lighting is safe.

Cost? I mean, how much is your life worth? I'm not convinced that the pool lighting is safe.
You live around the dangers of 120V AC in your walls, ceilings, and floors.

GFCI has proven to be safe and reliable. GFCI is designed so if it fails, it fails open with electricity off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support