Qallsopp

May 21, 2023
Danville, il
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all, I am a second year pool owner. We had a trouble free first season as we used new water, however, upon opening the pool this season we had now issues removing the green water and algae but are struggling getting it to clear up.

All of our levels are balanced (some on high end, some on low end but within parameters)
We tried the floc method and that did nothing IMO , just made it more troublesome for assuring that we removed the algae that has dropped from the bottom. We are at a loss for what to try next, I’m not too concerned concerned considering our levels are okay to swim in BUT I would love to have a crystal clear pool again like last year 😔 any help would be greatly APPRECIATED! Thank you.

Welcome to TFP!!!

How are you testing your water. The first step is to get a good test kit. Link-->Test Kits Compared

If you have a test kit, can you post a full set of results?

When you used the floc, did you filter your pool water at any time?

Welcome to TFP!!!

How are you testing your water. The first step is to get a good test kit. Link-->Test Kits Compared

If you have a test kit, can you post a full set of results?

When you used the floc, did you filter your pool water at any time?
IMG_5431.jpeg
These are my current test results, when I administered the floc I let the pool circulate for about 3 hours. Then I turned it off and waited for about 45 hours (the floc hadn’t dropped at 24 so I kept waiting) at 45 hours I noticed no differences. So I proceeded to vacuum to waste as much as I could before I ran out of water for the pump (it was difficult because I couldn’t see the bottom). I backwashed the filter, rinsed, and then put it on filter. It has been filtering for about a day and a half now. I will say it is SLIGHTLY better now but it’s nowhere near where I want it to be.

Soooo....one of the primary tenants of tfp is good testing. We don't test strips or pool store testing. Think physician...do no harm. If we don't have accurate testing, recommendations we might make could do harm. We don't want to do that.

Get a good test kit. Link-->Test Kits Compared

Since it looks like you filtered your FLOC to the filter...here is some good reading:

View attachment 494698
These are my current test results, when I administered the floc I let the pool circulate for about 3 hours. Then I turned it off and waited for about 45 hours (the floc hadn’t dropped at 24 so I kept waiting) at 45 hours I noticed no differences. So I proceeded to vacuum to waste as much as I could before I ran out of water for the pump (it was difficult because I couldn’t see the bottom). I backwashed the filter, rinsed, and then put it on filter. It has been filtering for about a day and a half now. I will say it is SLIGHTLY better now but it’s nowhere near where I want it to be.
One note:
About a month ago when we began messing with the pool I noticed that my filter was spitting sand in the pool. So I bought new laterals and sand, when those came in I opened the filter and began removing the old green sand. Upon doing so I discovered that the PVC pipe end of my standpipe had completely separated from the bottom of the standpipe that holds all of the laterals. So I purchased a new standpipe, added the new sand and reassembled. I know that there is/was a decent amount of sand at the bottom because when I vacuumed to waste is spit a good amount into my yard. Not entirely sure if I remove all of the sand of course because I still can’t see the bottom of the pool. Could this be my issue?

So, everything else withstanding. Order a test kit today. Really hard to help without good testing. Drop kits are the GOLD STANDARD.

That being said, when you added the new sand, did you do a good, long backwash. Sand is inconsistent in size. It may be that you didn't backwash, and what ended up in your yard got through the filter because you didn't backwash.

Either way, if you had FLOC in the pool and ran it on filter, you may be in the position where you need to replace the sand in the filter (I know, again). Read the article on Flocculants.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.