Pool has been unused at least 2 years....

Well, turkey sammiches tonight... I dare not touch my wife's new appliances after being installed. We lucked up and caught Kenmore Elite appliances 50% off, and I am not going to be the one to mess one up first. Whatever she cooks, I will eat and be happy it isn't a cold sandwich or fast food.

The surface feels better than I expected. I don't remember what a new plaster surfaces feels like... It is very consistent, slightly grippy, I guess it is the consistency of sanded grout.

Stains, really don't care about at all. Looks like a faux finish on the bottom of the pool. The mud brown stains are gone already. Some guy was trying to sell me on "stain out" or some miracle drug. I know some acid treatments will remove some stains, but I am not in the mood right now.

Thanks for the link, I have read it. I am all to aware of all the treatments to get rid of the stains. I think it is stained sufficiently enough to look good. I will call it art and when my son comes home all sticky and hot from summer camp I will throw him in the pool and nobody will really care about the stains. Thanks everyone with the help, I will preach the methods. My friends had jokes about all my bleach bottles...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, everything is going great with the pool... with exception of PH.

My PH keeps climbing off the charts. I add HCL and it will bring it down for a day, next day it is back off the charts. I am still running my pump 24X7 as a precaution to make sure EVERYTHING is dead in the pipes, and I have a feeling my main drain (yes I have one!) is slowly unclogging. It is starting to collect debris around it and a few times my filter has jumped from 10 PSI to 20+, I think it is gunk that has been stuck in the main drain line that broke loose.

The only thing I can think of that is causing the PH to raise is constant aeration. I am only adding bleach right now. I want to get some more Calcium in the pool, it is 225-250 but I would like to get PH in line. HCL is cheap, but not that cheap to put in daily.

We are keeping FC between 5-7 right now, we are loosing 1-2 ppm a day
CYA best guess is 30, I hate that test

What is causing the aeration? Yes that can cause PH to go up. In fact that is how I do it when I need higher PH. I turn my return up so it rolls the water good.

That is neat that the main drain is unclogging. Just keep an eye on the filter in case something big comes out to visit LOL

Kim

It has rained every day for the past 2 weeks, and in addition squirt guns are very popular with the 7 year old demographic. Also, my return pump only has one setting, it is always rolling the water pretty good. I am going to step it back, I need to get some of the little time setters for my timer. I want to set it to go on a few hours twice a day.

TA of 130 isn't terribly high, but it is high enough that lowering could help reduce PH rise. If you add acid regularly to keep PH at 7.2 then the aeration will will raise it and TA will reduce.

TA of 130 isn't terribly high, but it is high enough that lowering could help reduce PH rise. If you add acid regularly to keep PH at 7.2 then the aeration will will raise it and TA will reduce.

So basically keep HCL on hand and adjust PH and eventually I will reach an equilibrium? I do plan on adding borax to the pool, from what I understand I should get TA closer to 100 before I do that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.