Pool guy ruined summer

I think the consensus is that CYA would not cause that liner failure. 8lbs of CYA wouldn't do that, and imagine how much pressure you have from swimmers feet pushing against that same location. Either it's another chemical, or it was a standard liner failure.

Also 10k for a liner replacement is crazy. You should get some other estimates.

It wasn’t the Cyanuric acid.

I suspect that the liner was ready to go and all it took was some sort of stress and it went.

The liner was probably at the end of its useful life. Maybe it was overstressed or chemically damaged.

I hate to say it but the unsupported liner seems like a weak design, even with the extra thickness designed for that. I think I'd totally rebuild the pool and get some pool walls happening. One disaster would be my limit.

I agree that the unsupported liner is probably not the best idea.

To the OP: If you really want to know what CYA will do to your liner, you could take a sample of your liner that was not exposed to the CYA and test it.

Cut the sample in half. Use one half as a control. Cover the other half with CYA for the same amount of time and see what happens. If the CYA eats a hole through the liner, then that would support your hypothesis that the CYA caused the damage. If there is no reaction, then that would tend to refute your hypothesis.

Either way you would be much more certain about what happened.

If you do the test, we would be interested to know the results.

I would like to know if the OP has attempted to ID the actual residual chemical. That info could be of great help to someone else with similar concerns that may be reading this thread.

Dom

What are the odds that it fails after several years, on the same exact day in the exact same spot that the chemical was applied well before the life expectancy of the liner is up? Pretty astronomical probably. Seems to me the simplest answer is the correct one. The chemical caused the failure.

I question your assertion that the liner's life expectancy wasn't up.... a liner that's lasted 10 years is a pretty good run if you ask me. And on rental properly, who knows what's been done to that liner in the past.

I don't think I understand why you are all telling them to put up some kind of wall for this pool? Isn't the pool basically an "EASY SET" type of pool, that has soft sides, and not a rigid wall to begin with? Why don't they just tear the old pool down, re-level any ground underneath it that may not be level and put in a new EASY SET pool? I mean an entire pool should be LESS money than the quotes I've seen in this thread for a replacement liner. Am I missing something??

I don't think I understand why you are all telling them to put up some kind of wall for this pool? Isn't the pool basically an "EASY SET" type of pool, that has soft sides, and not a rigid wall to begin with? Why don't they just tear the old pool down, re-level any ground underneath it that may not be level and put in a new EASY SET pool? I mean an entire pool should be LESS money than the quotes I've seen in this thread for a replacement liner. Am I missing something??

He had a Splash Pool. It is the same concept Intex used to make a much less expensive version. While similar in construction Splash Pools (and there are a couple more brands like it) are made of sturdier materials than an Intex, and cost as much or more than a ridged AGP.

He had it built onto an overlook with a deck and retaining wall around it. Some of the members think erosion of the overlook contributed to the failure of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think that if the OP is really interested in knowing what cya will do to the liner, they will do the test as described. It's very simple and easy to do.
I don' t think they are interested.. OP came in with guns blazing insistent that the CYA was the problem and not interested to hear anything otherwise. As with SO much of society today, EVERYTHING is ALWAYS someone else's fault. And SCIENCE is an irrelevant opinion when you have already assured yourself that your belief is correct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.