Nov 19, 2022
Oklahoma City
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Inspired by A Cheap Pool Cooler for the end of Summer

I created the pool cooler pictured below. Biggest difference is I'm using my submersible pump to power it rather than attaching it to the pool return (I was a little hesitant to start messing with those built-in pipes).

Mine is also 1" pipe as that's the biggest my pump supports. The reduce tees take it down to 1/2" for the four streams. 1/8" holes at the ends.

Any thoughts or concerns with this design? Also, any insights on how long it needs to run to make a difference?

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

I created the pool cooler pictured below. Biggest difference is I'm using my submersible pump to power it rather than attaching it to the pool return (I was a little hesitant to start messing with those built-in pipes).

Mine is also 1" pipe as that's the biggest my pump supports. The reduce tees take it down to 1/2" for the four streams. 1/8" holes at the ends.

Any thoughts or concerns with this design? Also, any insights on how long it needs to run to make a difference?

View attachment 514450

View attachment 514451
Anything is better than nothing.

I'm old school; I bought a SubClap Pool Flower Fountain and attach it to where my Polaris' return when the heat starts getting the water temperature too close to 90˚F.

No pump is needed, and because I have threeway valves and a step jet return, I can rob some of that pressure if I so choose to, as well as the intake valve on the flower fountain.

I also deck-mounted our umbrellas to provide more shade.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 9.00.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 9.00.06 PM.png
    996.8 KB · Views: 15

View attachment 514450

View attachment 514451
You’re getting great height with the streams of water, so that should help with evaporative cooling. If you can break the water up to be more mist-like, or add more spray holes, that would probably help even more. The challenge then becomes the wind blowing the water where you may not want it, like on that beautiful lawn.

I’m just down the road in DFW and made several attempts at cooling the water with similar designs, although mine attached to the pool returns and sprayed outward back into the pool, not nearly as high as yours. Even with a lower trajectory, wind blew water back onto surrounding landscaping and was slowly killing it. I never achieved any significant temp drop - around 3°-4° more than usual overnight, but water was back in the 90s during the day. The sprayers just couldn’t keep up. So I finally bit the bullet and installed a Glacier chiller. It was the best investment I’ve made in my pool. Even with days hitting 110°, more days of 105°+ than we’ve ever had and overnight lows only dropping to the mid-80s, my pool has yet to exceed 85°. We had 2 days of a “cold front” earlier this week, with highs in the mid-90s, and my pool dropped into the 70s. Since then, it’s been maxing at 82°, which is absolutely perfect for me.

Reactions: dailygenesis
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.