pool chemistry n00b

tshelton75

Jul 15, 2023
Albuquerque NM
Hi
I live in Albuquerque NM and am new to TFP and pool chemistry..
This is my second pool season ever, and I have tons of questions...
Our inground plaster pool is about 18000 gallons, with a sand filter and single speed pump.
The water is always crystal clear, so I thought this chemistry thing was easy....
Then I got a water guru sense 2 and saw my free chorine was zero, CYA was 100, alkalinity was 120, and PH was 7.8.
I went to the pool store to confirm and the number were about the same.
So now what? What is what brought me to TFP :)

thank you thank you! there is so much information here!!!!
Review the section on test kits first. Tfp recommends certain test kits that provide the level of accuracy and consistency required to properly manage your pool. Your best bet is to pick up one of the recommended test kits. TFtestkits.net provide the best value. Once you get your test kit, post results and we can assist. In the meantime, use PoolMath to help you add 5 ppm of chlorine each day until your test arrives.
Test Kits Compared
Take a few minutes of time to complete your signature. It will help others help you.

If with a water sense i would get a test kit - you have no way of knowing if the sensor is working unless you have a baseline test, and pool stores are notoriously inaccurate and inconsistent. The sensor may help you test less but the test kit would pay for itself in spades even testing every once in a while

Consider adding enough chlorine daily to get to 5ppm while waiting for a test kit to arrive … that will prevent or hold algae at bay until you have reliable chemical numbers to share