Pool Build - Round Rock, TX - February 2016

Construction Manager was out today to inspect the excavation and to mark the frame for plumbing and steel locations. Said to expect those two items to happen over the next day or two and if all goes well, they plan to shoot gunite on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

I was gone again the latter part of this week and came home today to plumbing and steel!

Appears as though the steel guys missed the bottom step in our entry (likely thrown off by the long bench that extends from the 2nd step and wraps around the majority of the shallow end).

Gunite is schedule for Tuesday or Wednesday... but I am thinking of asking them to hold off since I am pretty sure we are supposed to hose it down for seven days after they finish and we have travel plans for Spring Break. We can most likely round up friends and family to come by and hose it down for us but I'd rather oversee that maintenance myself. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Probably not on the last step. It's common for steps to not have steel in them.

Personally I'd just get it done if you think they can come twice per day. It's not rocket science. Maintaining new plaster would be different.

Appears as though the steel guys missed the bottom step in our entry (likely thrown off by the long bench that extends from the 2nd step and wraps around the majority of the shallow end).

Gunite is schedule for Tuesday or Wednesday... but I am thinking of asking them to hold off since I am pretty sure we are supposed to hose it down for seven days after they finish and we have travel plans for Spring Break. We can most likely round up friends and family to come by and hose it down for us but I'd rather oversee that maintenance myself. Anyone have thoughts on that?

They didn't do steel for our small steps either. From what I understand its pretty common to not have that done.

Thanks everyone for the the input on the pool step and and sprinkler idea. Much appreciated! Of course, may be a complete non-issue since the current weather forecast for our area over the next 5 days is 70%+ chance of rain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Aw but if your weather people are ANYTHING like ours that means it will NOT rain! LOL Please do not depend on the rain to water it for you. Better safe than sorry.

Kim

Totally, I meant it may not be an issue if they aren't able to do the gunite due to rain. We'll have to see. Talked to the CM a little bit ago and he said they are still aiming for Wednesday and that if we aren't able to line up folks to water it for us, they will send someone to do it while we're gone. Sprinkler/Timer seems perfect, though.

2nd time the builder has been ahead of schedule. Gunite was supposed to start tomorrow but they were able to start this AM.

They were making pretty good progress in a light drizzle before storms in South Austin caused them to have to shut down for the day due to too much rain at the yard where they were loading the trucks.

Two of the builder's CMs were out here to check on things and make sure all looks well and although more rain is expected over the next few days they're hopeful that they be able to pick back up in the AM. Fingers crossed!

This was very much a concern of mine when they had to shut down this AM. Two construction managers came out (ours and another one from the PB who used to specialize in gunite before he became a CM) and assured me all would be okay and that they routinely shoot larger commercial pools across multiple days without any issues. I am just hoping that the weather cooperates such that they can get back at it first thing in the AM and not be delayed by several days. Looking at the forecast right now, I'm not too optimistic.

However, this article makes me feel like the PB is shooting straight with me.
http://shotcrete.org/media/Archive/2014Spr_TechnicalTip.pdf

Thus far, we've been beyond pleased with the PB and they have not given us any reason to not trust them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.