Pool Build - California Dreaming - 3 Years Closer

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming

Thanks Mud for the interest. I discuss the tile earlier in this thread, here:
pool-build-california-dreaming-t20686-240.html

I found the tile on Craigslist at $2 per sq ft. Similar tile on line can be had for about $9 per sq ft. The light blue/aqua iridescent tile will be the waterline tile and should contrast well with the quartz stone ledger on the bond beam and the peach color coping. The dark blue iridescent or "peacock" will be used for the safety tile strip on the steps and anywhere else that needs a bold highlight. The dark blue with gold streaks aka blue twilight are 3/4" tile and will be used to tile portions of the spa and stools - these are nice and smooth.

This last weekend, in preparation of plastering the pool and to meet code, I put up the ornamental iron pool fence. The fence which consists of 12 Fortress Versai panels and one arched gate runs from the corner of the house around the curved portion of the patio closest to the house and then up the sloped hill and fastened to the property's back wall, effectively closing off the entire back portion of our lot to entry. It looks pretty good. I originally feared that by not using curved panels the fence would look odd going around the curved portion of the deck but in the end it looks fine. The trickiest part of the install was getting all the panels to properly transition with the change in grade. The most labor intensive aspect of the install - driving the 12 x 30" metal Oz-Post spikes into the hard dry ground. In a previous post, I stated that I was going to put up some stone faced columns to connect the panels, but decided that it would block the view too much and would be difficult later to demolish when it comes time to remove the fence.

Mann I am dying to see the finished product. Do you think you will have water by July 4th? Sure would be nice :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks Flippy for the push. I will try to post a couple pictures of the completed fence surround tonight or tomorrow. Not much else to show since I posted the pictures of the waterline tile work.

I have been presently focusing on getting the fence up and also need to install a gate on the rear of the property in order to get the sign off from county prior to filling the pool. My oldest daughter also is having a birthday party this weekend at the house (she's sad of course that it's not a pool party) and I don't want her little friends falling into the empty pool. Been there, done that and believe me it hurts. :hammer:

Remaining paver deck, tile and ledge stone work as well as the final equipment hookup should be done over next two weeks then its the plaster.

Spillmar I can't tell how much I appreciate that you share this amazing build with us all. I have been quite busy myslef over here so I haven't had time to catch up on your build lately but I will.
I hope you get water in asap so you and your family can enjoy it as much as possible this summer and for all of us behinde computers around the world to drawl over some nice bathing pictures :)

Thanks Mats. When I do post pictures after the fill I'll make sure not to be in the picture. Somewhere around the world someone may be eating lunch and I don't want to upset them or their stomachs. Not all of us can have a 6-pack like you my friend. Let's put it this way, the kids in the neighborhood think I am Jack Black. :oops:

Anyway here are some pics of the fence. This one project phase I did all by myself. It was not that challenging with the exception that it is a heavy gauge of steel/iron and hard to hang the panels.

The posts are a bit too high right now but will be cut down once I rent a cutter. I was not able to cut a straight line with the SawzAll, even though a friend said just clamp a 2x4 on each side of the post and use it as a guide. For me, it appears a fence post cutter may be the best bet.

Thanks again for the interest and motivation.

Attachments

• IMG_1298.JPG
    IMG_1298.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_1296.JPG
    IMG_1296.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_1294.JPG
    IMG_1294.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 453

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks. In the last picture you can barely make out our 2 dogs, Sheila (English Shepherd) and Bandido (annoying Chihuahua mix). Both are pound dogs and have been good companions throughout the build..... Well that or they wanted the leftover pizza. :?

LOL - That's the truth.
Those palms sit on the utility company's service road and none of the neighbors have access.
My neighbors and I have talked about a tree intervention with the city, that or a flame thrower. Anyway they are an eyesore, aren't they. One day I think I may hire someone myself and have them trimmed. I am afraid to find out what lives in there however.

Spillmar, I may have asked this question but why is the pool so far away from the house :eek: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks NoMas for the kudos.

Hi Brentr - It's not really that far from the house. It's about 80 ft from the kitchen patio entrance but only about half that from the master bedroom courtyard entrance. Basically the placement was such because we are going to build a 800 sq ft pool house against the far rear wall of the property and the pool goes up and under the cantilevered roof of the pool house and then the pool extends toward the house 65 feet. For some it's too far for us it's just right considering the pool house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.