Pool Build - California Dreaming - 3 Years Closer

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming

Spillmar,

After discussing it with the photo-appreciation committee (myself and me), we are afraid you need to hire a helicopter to take some aerial photos so we can see the whole pool in one shot so we can fully appreciate the scale of your project.

Thanks

Thanks Lershac

I laughed at that one. It is big. Me and the wifey call it Noah's ark. Remember they thought Noah was crazy for building it....well.

Thanks for following my proj. A couple months and hopefully we are done.....then on to the landscaping. :shock:

Saturday I laid a good portion of the paver deck including the steps to the spa. Boy is lugging around all those blocks tiresome especially for an office slug. Most of today was completing all the cuts.

Tomorrow I will post pictures of the completed lower deck and steps. It looks really nice - actually better than the Pool Studio renderings. Seeing one's own designs take shape is quite fulfilling.

Only thing left for the paver deck is to now lay the raised spa area and then add fill sand and compact/level.

BTW - I am still looking for some good tile people who know how to install mosaic glass.

I don't know about you, but there are days I regret going out there. My estimate on my pool is about mid-July when I should have the entire deck completed. I'm constantly wheel barrowing crusher run everywhere and laying block. 2 pallets ago, i thought I was done with block but I believe I have one more pallet and it will all be complete with the walls. After that, bluestone paving all around. I estimate about 2500 square feet of paving when it's all done. It's amazing how the drive keeps going though. I'm impressed with all your work and doing it yourself.

Thanks XSAllOverIt
I can't say I am doing all of the work, just some of it here, there and wherever and whenever possible. I wish I knew how to set tile and setup the equipment - that would save some real monies but like the Rebar and shotcrete I leave the trickier items to the subs.

I hope your build is going as you had planned. Our's is already about 20% over original estimates and a few months delayed, but that is due to changes including a new stairs design and a bigger deck. Going slow has it's upside however including more careful planning and the ability to absorb tighter budgets.

Below are the pictures showing the progress of the Pavers.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 558

Well most of the paver deck surrounding the raised spa was completed today. One more day of cuts and then sand, vibrate and compact all of it, and followed by efflorescence blocker, surface wash and finally a Techniseal non-filming absorption sealer/coating.

BTW - I finally framed and poured the in-deck cement drink storage/cooler, which is something we decided was a must have. Now we are able to put drinks (wine/beer/cocktails really) or snacks with or without ice near the spa without having to drag out a cooler.

The in-deck cooler wraps/curves slightly around the coping for aesthetics. For functionality, I added a drain at the bottom which feeds into the below grade drainage system so it can be easily cleaned and washed out and melted ice can drain away. Pretty nifty.

The cover will most likely be made of ABS of a complementary color to the pavers or perhaps consist of a simple stainless steel type grate.

I'll post a picture soon. :cool:

Regards

Spillmar - That looks awesome! Your entire setup is going to be super sweet when completed. Keep the pictures coming even after you finish the pool and start working on the landscaping. My wife and I enjoy sitting out by our pool almost everyday enjoying the water, landscaping and view. Thank god I live in SE Texas for the warm weather! I am sure you will do the same for many years.

Thanks

Flippy

So dumb question...

How are you transferring your pattern from one area to the next? I mean keeping lines that are supposed to be parallel, well, parallel? Do you have some reference marker somewhere you measure from or something?

Thanks Flippy. Your comment is very motivational. My wife and the girls are stepping up the pressure :whip: now that it is getting warmer. Really we all can't wait to get through the final punch list. Unfortunately the finishing can be the most time consuming and costly. If all goes well ($$$) we should remain on track for an end of May fill.

Hi Lershac.

I kept the same pattern throughout the entire deck. When I got to the first landing of the stairs I laid a long 2x4 to extend and keep the line with the lower deck pattern.

Since the second landing turns a bit in (less radius than first landing) I turned the lines going up the second landing inward using the poured concrete stair coping as the gauge.

The top deck was not oriented in any specific manner. With the "boot" pattern it is not that obvious as if it were arranged in a running bond pattern.

The two lower deck portions near the sunk-in patio are mirrored to each other. On the other side of the raised spa area the pattern continues up the stairs much like the other side with the same inward spin in orientation. :blah:

Anyway that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Regards.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

This thread is fantastic. Only another year or two, 20 more pages, and you'll surpass our Swedish friend! Please keep the photos coming. I know a lot of them are posted without any comments from us, but I'm excited to see each one. We've had a bunch of huge, grand, fantastic pool designs posted and discussed on the forum, but this is the first that I've actually seen that's moved into the realm of reality. Congrats!

And then there were eight and "eight is enough."

Well that's the number of days anyhow that it took to install the paver deck including all cuts. I ran about $1k over budget on the labor due to miscalculating the days for ground prep as well as the cuts. I must say that it sure is a lot of work to lay down 2200 sq ft. With materials at around $4000 plus labor of $4100, it comes out to about $8k for the paver dack, not bad - around $3.7 /sq ft per sq ft. all in.

Below are some pictures taken today showing the progress. I will be making the final cuts for the immediate deck around the drain myself - sweep in the joint sand and then wash and seal. Regards.

Attachments

• IMG_1195.JPG
    IMG_1195.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 487

Thats a good price. Mine was $8.10 SF installed with the Poly-Sand. You saved about $1.50 SF on the materials and plus PB overhead. Cost on the sealer should be minimal and you finished pretty quick.

Wow! $8/sqft installed!! :shock:

I realize labor rates vary region to region, but my God. I am looking at $20 for my patio up in here and MA and had to haggle to get it.

Looks phenomenal BTW. :goodjob:

Thanks for the complement Mx702.

Actually the paver deck cost comes to $3.70 per sq ft with material and labor. It would have come in at $3.50 if for not so many cuts. If you add the exterior band of coping as part of the deck which was about $2400 for that portion, it would be a little under $5 per sq ft. Again get bids and you should be able to drive that down significantly.

Thanks Nightmare. I was amazed how many cuts there were but it did not take an extraordinary amount of time. As to sealer I purchased a pallet for about $300 from a closing paver contractor which has about 28 x 5 gallon drums of Techniseal cleaner and sealer especially formulated for pool decks/pavers.

Well if any of you are wondering our build is on hold. We are so close, but the plaster job is going to cost alot more than I expected - about double - and the wife wants a June vacation. So basically we are in saving mode again. Our hope is to get everything done now by end of July instead of end of this month.

Although the build has cost more than we expected, its not that bad considering all the features and customization. At the end of the day it definitely has come out cheaper than if we had hired a builder. Anyway, the good thing is that swimming season goes through September in Socal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.