Pool and Spa Thermometer with wireless Temperature Sensor

Take it back and exchange for a new one. It is very important to snug up the screws to get a tight seal. Home depot policy is 90 days, look at the receipt.

I also bought one of these and thought it was great!...... until it started floating upside down.

So I called the manufacturer and they apologized for shipping the first batch without the weights and offered to ship me a complete new one. They did. In the meantime the first one developed a leak and got water inside. Water seems to seep in around the edge of the display on top of the unit, not around the blue gasket.

So I installed the second one which no longer went upside down as the weight was in the bottom. I even put a thin layer of silicone on top of the display to help prevent water leak.....but after about 6 weeks it also has gotten water inside which screws up the dispaly and makes it start sending temps like 188 degrees!

So great idea, but the product is certainly full of bugs.....

learthur , I certainly agree with you that there are some bugs to work out. I had placed mine in the skimmer as suggested by grannygeek, however the display completely disappeared and I believe that the skimmer was getting too hot for the unit. Fortunately I live less than a minute from HD so I took it back and got a replacement unit. I just make sure that I have the receipt and packing nearby as this is the third one I have replaced. HD policy is 90 day exchange, so it is not too inconvenient for me. Hopefully they will continue to improve on these units but until then it serve my purpose. :cheers:

There seems to be some problems with some units. I'm not sure if it's a design issue or an installation issue.

I've had mine since Apr 20th and it's worked flawlessly since. I added a weight to keep it upright but other than that it's great. The GK's toss it around and sink it to the bottom when they think I'm not looking. and it just keeps on working.

I probably just jinxed it. It'll be dead this evening when I get home. :(

After a few months, I had some issues with mine. First, the display started to go out. No problem, because I use the indoor reading anyway. But then it started leaking. After sealing it all around with silicone, I realized the leaking was coming from the top window. I was able to tighten the screws on the circuit board to get it to seat on the LCD display and got the readout back, and I added silicone all around the window on the inside, and now it seems to be good. I think the constant heating and cooling caused it to leak around the window.

As noted earlier, I had to remove the antenna wire from inside of the receiver unit to the outside for good reception.

In case anyone is wondering. This unit is still for sale, is very cool, and still leaks and dies. I'm on my 2nd one and just found this old thread. If anyone has any tips on keeping the sensor/transmitter unit lasting longer than the 2 weeks my first one lasted, I'm all ears.

grantb5, not sure what to suggest as mine lasts a lot longer than that. I keep the original receipt and the original package and take it back to HD. They usually exchange it for a new one. They do seem to get better with some visual improvements. When we close the pool usually from December to February, I take it out of the pool and remove the batteries and store it in my office.

Thanks. Well I have siliconed everything I can think of on the top (no it's not pretty) and I will use some Haywards grease on the screw-on battery cover so we will see what happens. If it dies I may just toss it out or else I have to remove the silicon in order to take it back. This unit is so much better than another brand I tried earlier. This one is more accurate and has faster updates to the receiver/display unit. I think the other brand just misses a lot of the transmissions even though it's less than 20 feet away (but not line of sight).

I now see another brand on Amazon that holds promise too. And that unit has a back-light on the display unit which might come in handy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, unfortunately, ambient weather doesn’t do that. I haven’t yet found a good one that does so I made one out of a fibro window alarm with a waterproof box and via smart things hub and some hack code, have it talking to my phone. Let me know if you have ST and I can point you to a build thread.

OR if you find one on the market, let me know ;)

You might be interested in this. I got an accurite weather station last year and they have a wireless pool sensor so I can get temps on my phone IMG_9893.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.