Pool and Spa Thermometer with wireless Temperature Sensor

No matter what I did, the thing would lose the signal about every 24 hours. I brought it in and exchanged it for another one, but still had the same problem. So I opened the receiver up and pulled out the blue antenna wire to make it external rather than internal. It has worked for over a week now and always has 3 bars of signal strength. But if I run into problems again I can always hook up a fixed antenna. For the 443 Mhz there is a specific antenna length that is ideal (I don't remember what it is but can find out).

If you are having problems and want to pull the antenna wire outside of the case so you can stretch it out, be careful when opening the halves up because you can easily pull out the battery wires - and you'll also need to make a hole in the case which will void the warranty.

Is seems that early in the morning there are no bars registering on mine however it always seems to come back. I still always get a low and a high and everytime I look at it the existing temp seems correct.

Okay I noticed that my hi temp display had gone out on the floating unit, so I took it back to exchange it out. No problem HD replaced it and I am back in business. I noticed that the unit was a little bit heavier but I did not pay too much attention as I wanted to put the batteries in and get back to other projects. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the piece that the probe stuck into was re-modified. There was lead siliconed into the base where I would normally put in my nuts so the the thermometer would stay right side. Acurite has modified the unit and you don't have to put in weights anymore. I am not sure what else if any has been modified however this is a great improvement in such a short time frame :cheers: :cheers:

DSCN0922-1.jpg

I returned mine when the signal went out a couple of weeks algo, but just got my money back. Too many people having problems - I just don't trust it for the long haul.

Mine was in my skimmer, about 20 feet from the indoor receiver. Worked like a champ for about 3 weeks, the I noticed the temperature remaining at 86 day and night. When I went to check it, the display on the transmitter was messed up. I had already read about enough troubles on here to just not want to deal with it.

no-mas said:
Mine was in my skimmer, about 20 feet from the indoor receiver. Worked like a champ for about 3 weeks, the I noticed the temperature remaining at 86 day and night. When I went to check it, the display on the transmitter was messed up. I had already read about enough troubles on here to just not want to deal with it.
no-mas I have replaced mine once however HD is less than a minute from the house and I go there about 2-3 times on Sat and sunday. I think they have a pic of me on their wall in the store :mrgreen: As long as they replace it I am a happy camper :cheers: :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do a Google search for "wireless pool thermometer". There are several brands. Sharper Image and Brookstone have a set that has two sensors, air and water, single receiver for both units. $99 US. http://www.waterwarehouse.com has a similar set for $69. There are other places to get the simple set like the one from HD but I haven't found as good a price as the one at HD. SI offers "lifetime" warranty on many of their products. I know a lot of people who purchase their floor cleaning 'bots there because of the replacement policy. I purchased one of my many floor 'bots there, the 500 series, when they first came out.

Mine is still functioning. I did notice a bit of condensation in the transmitter display so I'm going to put a desiccant packet in to see if it helps. I did screw the top down well when putting the batteries in. The condensation went away when I took it out for a while to use the skimmer to vacuum the pool.

I've used multiple wireless thermometers in my greenhouses, several sensors for each receiver. I really like the ones that alarm. I guess not so important for pool in use during summer only.

gg=alice

I suppose these thermometers would work well with heated pools. Otherwise, Unless it is capable of measuring temps well below the surface of the water, it is basically useless. Everyone should know that the surface temps will be higher than deeper water. The actual pool temp will be several degrees cooler than the thermometer will read. I would think about getting one if it could measure temps in deeper water.

ntrsandman said:
I suppose these thermometers would work well with heated pools. Otherwise, Unless it is capable of measuring temps well below the surface of the water, it is basically useless. Everyone should know that the surface temps will be higher than deeper water. The actual pool temp will be several degrees cooler than the thermometer will read. I would think about getting one if it could measure temps in deeper water.
I measured the bottom of our pool and it is the same temp with the pump circulating. Without the pump on it is about 2 degrees cooler . In our case we always have the pump circulating when we are swimming so it is not useless for us :party: :whoot: :cheers:

Has anyone tried using some silicone pool lube or something to keep water out? I've gotten water in it, but it still works. I'm afraid to tighten the screws too much since they just seat into threaded plastic and I don't want to strip them out.

I found out that you have to snug up the screws but do not strip them. If they are not snug tight you will have a leak.

If you seat the halves to the silicone gasket then tighten them according to the directions it'll seal. The trick is to tighten them about half way the first time around and then final tighten them the next time around.

Well, mine read 158 degrees yesterday; yep, water inside again. Stupid water! It keeps getting sucked halfway into the skimmer, so that it's wedged against the weir at a funny angle. I dried it out and tried some teflon pool lube before reassembling it. We'll see!

ntrsandman said:

As mentioned already...in theory you are correct, but in practice this may not be the case if your pump is running or some folks have a dark vinyl liner. In the case of the dark liner, you find the water warming up bottom first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.