Polaris P955 Reversing and Flipping over

80degrees

Apr 28, 2024
the south
Hello,

I am having an issue with my Polaris 9550 where it is deciding it wants to go backwards and then flip over. Over and over again.

I believe the issue that is triggering it is the beach area safeguard where it will reverse itself to attempt to remain in the pool. I do not have a beach area, so all it does is reverse and flip over way too much.

I tried using the remote to guide it manually and it still decides to go in reverse despite the remote input telling it otherwise, which makes me believe that this beach area fail-safe is being triggered. What I don't understand is what triggers the reversing.

I saw an old post here where someone had changed the circuit board and control unit, but neither had an effect on the problem.

That must mean that the beach area failsafe must be triggered elsewhere? The main propeller motor was not replaced in that thread, so perhaps the beach failsafe works by checking the propeller motor resistance (different resistance in and out of water) ?

The filter basket is clean.

Over the years I have had the robot open and fixed so many things but now it feels like this is the final boss of Polaris robot problems. Normally I enjoy a challenge but this is ridiculous.

Has anyone seen this before and have a fix? I wish there was some way to disable the failsafe, but that is probably impossible to know.

Welcome to TFP.

The future of mankind is toiling at fixing robots that are supposed to make our life easier.

I will keep my pool brush and net to clean my pool rather then become the robot fixit guy.

lol thanks! TFP has been the best resource i've found by far for helping to understand pools, especially pool chemistry, over the past few years.

brush and net are great but with so many leaves, dirt, etc, from a large tree, the bot is very useful. the obvious answer will be to just get a new bot, and i probably will get a dolphin.

but, the polaris is otherwise fine, it lifts up out of the pool, all the motors work, everything appears normal, except for the random reversing. i've grown rather fond of the bot, and normally i like a challenge, but this new behavior is baffling.

if anyone else is having the same problem, it seems that if i select to only clean the walls, it flips over a lot less, and the bottom still gets clean enough, but it is far from ideal