jtucker615

Jul 18, 2023
Winfield, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm brand new to pools. Just bought my house in Feb. I had a pool guy, but he was inexperienced and never showed up so I fired him. I was recently told I made a very bad mistake and need confirmation. My pool is in ground, 20x40 3ft to 8ft. Estimated 33000 gallons. I had the pump, liner, and sand filter all replaced. Since owning the pool I've added 9lbs of dry stabilizer and used trichlor tablets in my skimmer. I was told I needed to shock it after rain and heavy use so I add a couple scoops of shock which is calcium hypochlorite. I also just bought 35 lbs of cal-hypo tablets to use in my inline feeder since my stabilizer is at 35 and I don't want it to increase Someone just told me a screwed up big time because I'm not supposed to mix chlorine types... am I in trouble here? Please advise

Someone just told me a screwed up big time because I'm not supposed to mix chlorine types..
If mixed in the same container, yes, that is an extremely dangerous situation. Cal-hypo and tri-chlor cannot be mixed. Are they mixed in the same inline feeder? If so, it could explode. If the trichlor tabs are in the skimmer (that's never recommended) and the cal-hypo somewhere else, it's not an emergency.

Please clarify and let us know so we can assist.

Also see -----> Pool Care Basics

Hi, welcome to TFP! How long ago did you put cal-hypo tabs in the chlorine feeder? If it has previously had trichlor tab in it there could be a chemical reaction that could start a fire or small explosion. The reaction would take place fairly quickly so if it has been several hours you are probably ok. That is the main concern with mixing those two types of chlorine in a container. If you use tabs (we don't recommend them for daily use) you should use a separate dispenser for each type of tab. People typically use trichlor in their tab feeders since it is easier to find. Cal-hypo tabs should go in a floater so there is no danger of chemical reaction.

Just to clarify, you can use dichlor/trichlor and cal-hypo at the same time as long as they are in different dispensers. Once they are in the pool there is no problem using those chemicals at the same time. Never try to save space by storing them dry in the same container either.

If mixed in the same container, yes, that is an extremely dangerous situation. Cal-hypo and tri-chlor cannot be mixed. Are they mixed in the same inline feeder? If so, it could explode. If the trichlor tabs are in the skimmer (that's never recommended) and the cal-hypo somewhere else, it's not an emergency.

Please clarify and let us know so we can assist.

Also see -----> Pool Care Basics
Good afternoon, thank you for the reply.. I removed the Cal-Hypo tabs from the in line feeder because I don't know what the previously owner used in there. The chlorines are not mixed in the same container, but they are in the same pool... I only purchased a small bucket of stablilized tablets before I realized if I kept using them it would increase my CYA levels.. I'd say I've used a total of 10-15 tables that I added to my skimmer baskets every couple of days. I shock every week or two using Calcium Hypochlorite shock and have now bought a 35lb container of Cal-hypo tablets. I guess i'm asking if if having the two types of chlorine in the pool is OK. Can the inline feeder be cleaned up so I can add cal-hype tabs in there?

You can't sufficiently clean the tab feeder to prevent a chemical reaction. I would get a floating dispenser for the cal-hypo. Also cal-hypo tabs don't dissolve comepletely and leave some goop behind. It will be easier to keep a floater clean. You will also need to keep an eye on calcium and pH levels if you use cal-hypo. Too much calcium can cause scale build up.

Reactions: jtucker615
I'd say I've used a total of 10-15 tables that I added to my skimmer baskets every couple of days.
From now own, use a floater for the tabs. That would be better.

I shock every week or two
For future reference, shocking is a generic pool store tactic and really not required if the Free Chlorine (FC) level is properly balanced to the current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.

I guess i'm asking if if having the two types of chlorine in the pool is OK. Can the inline feeder be cleaned up so I can add cal-hype tabs in there?
Yes, you are okay as long as they aren't mixed together. If you wish to use the cal-hypo tabs in the feeder, just be sure to flush it out really well first. Or just put the cal-hypo tabs in a floater instead. Either way.

Since you mentioned you are new to pools, I would really like to encourage you to visit the many articles on our Pool Care Basics page. With everything we do here, the cornerstone of clean & sanitary water is proper "at-home" testing. We highly recommend owners test their water with either a TF-series test kit (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C.

The following articles are form the Pool Care Basics page that you should take some time to review. If you have ANY questions about TFP or how we recommend caring for your pool/water, let us know.

I want to thank everyone for the quick replies. I feel a lot better now. I will purchase a floater today. Unfortunately I just purchased a 200.00 bucket of Cal-Hypo tablets, but I think once they done, i'll swith to liquid chlorine. I feel very uneasy when I don't know something and make it my mission to learn all I can. Right now I feel like such a noob with this pool. Just when I think I'm learning something I find out something like this and puts me back to square one. I have so many more questions, but for now i'll just say thank you for the information and putting my mind at ease.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That reminds me, when you get a chance, please update your signature. The link below should help. You can also refer to my signature as an example. Include your test kit (if available) as well. If you are on a well, list that too.

Also keep in mind that the cal-hypo tabs should not go bad if stored properly. That gives you flexibility to use the $200.00 of cal hypo tabs over the course of the next few seasons, to supplement your liquid chlorine needs when you cant add liquid on a regular basis (vacations, busy at work, etc.).

Just take your time….read, read and read some more through pool school. One day it all clicks and becomes second nature. Each pool is different due to water source, shade and or sun. But the same principles apply to all pool water. Good luck and welcome! People here are great! 👍

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.