Please help! Don't know where to start to balance my water.

Hobe07

May 22, 2023
Columbus, OH
Hi all, first time pool owner here. Pool came with a house we just bought but it was winterized and hadn't been opened in 3 years. We took the cover off a few weeks ago and the water was overall clear with a bunch of dead algae in the bottom. The water level had also dropped a decent amount so we refilled, got the pump/filter started and vacuumed to waste all the algae off the bottom. We're now attempting to balance our water but the levels are all a mess and after reading all the articles I'm still not sure which level to start with and what can be done in parallel or needs to be done sequentially. I was thinking we would do a SLAM but after reading through that article it seems we don't even have enough CYA to start that process. Please help! We would love to be swimming by Memorial Day but starting to feel like that might not be possible based on where we are today. Thanks in advance!

Levels as tested today:
Free Chlorine: 0.09
Total Chlorine: 0.29
Combined Chlorine: 0.20
pH: 7.9
Alkalinity: 182
Hardness: 143
CYA: 5

First - you need a proper test kit.

Then - you'll likely want to SLAM.

Until then - add 5ppm of free chlorine to keep the algae at bay. Don't worry - once you can self-test, the TFP method is super easy.

CYA is easily available via Amazon. But don't trust the pool store test and base your additions from that "data." Wait until you have a proper test kit.

I just bought a taylor 2006 kit which will be here tomorrow. However, when I read the SLAM article it appears that my CYA is too low to be effective, it mentions that it should be around 30 and mine is at 5. The chart also doesn't even go below 20 so I'm not sure why my FC level for SLAM should be. In addition, it says that pH should be between 7.2 and 7.5 and mine is not so should I add dry acid to attempt to correct that first? Thanks!

Hello Fellow Ohioan,

You are in good hands. (mknauss has helped me in the past, which I'm so grateful for.) One thing as you get started, fill out your signature. Here's a link with what to include: Create Your Signature - Further Reading. That will help people get you the most accurate and effective info.

As for the chemicals, you'll definitely get good advice once you post your test results, but one thing I noticed is your pH and total alkalinity. Our water here in the Cincinnati-Dayton area has a naturally high pH coming out of the tap, and I think Columbus is similar. Depending on your test results, you might want to try to bring the pH down a little before you SLAM (if that turns out to be necessary). When chlorine levels are elevated during a SLAM, you don't always get accurate pH readings. But don't add anything before you can test yourself with the Taylor kit.

If your total alkalinity turns out to really be well over 100, your pH will drift up and you might need to knock it back down over time. My first summer with the pool (new liner and fresh tap water) I had to add muriatic acid pretty regularly because the total alkalinity was above 100. Now that I keep my TA on the lower end of the range, I don't have pH issues anymore.

~Teany

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.