Please Be Easy On Me :)

Heat is your enemy. If you let it get too hot, you’ll have some very expensive water in a very short time. It’ll also vent out the cap causing rust issues on anything metal nearby.

Bleach is happy in the temperatures you’d be happy. Store inside if you have to - nothing to worry about.
The only place I can come up with is either A. my office or B. Our soon to be mudroom/gym. My husband is fixing to move his office out of there this weekend so I should be able to put it in there.

Last edited:
FWIW, I store my 12.5% outside in a plastic deck box. I usually have about 3 week’s worth on hand. I periodically test FC after dosing to confirm that the LC concentration has not degraded. It’s always been within 1ppm of pool math prediction. The containers get zero sunlight since they are in opaque deck boxes. I thought that although heat affe s chlorine stability, UV is the real bad guy. I’ve noticed no deleterious effects by storing outside. YMMW, but that’s how I’m rolling with no issue. It’s hotter n’ heck here in Houston!!

LC yellow containers on the left.
36E0AA72-1D77-4554-A58D-C91551738AA9.jpeg

So, I did my chlorine test this morning 2x almost 2 hours apart. It pretty much dropped 4 points in the past 24 hours. It read 3.5 both times. Is that a normal daily drop?
Absolutely normal. I'm in Ohio, with full sun, swimmers I can lose up to 5.5ppm.

Most in the southern tier GA--->TX lose 3-5 with healthy CYA levels.

So the "Trick" is to never let your FC get below minimums. I never let mine get below minimums + 1. I try to keep it on the HIGH end of recommended/target range.

Minimums here ->> FC/CYA Levels

For your CYA of 40, your minimum is 3 and target 5-7. I would add your Liquid chlorine to get to 8 or even 9. At the end of 24 hours, you will be at 4 (from 8) or 5 (from 9). My choice would be 9.

Don’t flirt with minimum, it’s asking for trouble. Dose for 2 above max for a week or so and see where you end up 24 hrs later. If you determine you’re staying well above minimum and are comfy dosing 1 above max, then try that. Just always stay above minimum.

To be honest, i think the FC/CYA chart, particularly the “target” could be explained a bit better.

Absolutely normal. I'm in Ohio, with full sun, swimmers I can lose up to 5.5ppm.

Most in the southern tier GA--->TX lose 3-5 with healthy CYA levels.

So the "Trick" is to never let your FC get below minimums. I never let mine get below minimums + 1. I try to keep it on the HIGH end of recommended/target range.

Minimums here ->> FC/CYA Levels

For your CYA of 40, your minimum is 3 and target 5-7. I would add your Liquid chlorine to get to 8 or even 9. At the end of 24 hours, you will be at 4 (from 8) or 5 (from 9). My choice would be 9.
Didn't realize you could lose so much in a day. So, Pool math is telling me for 9 to add almost 2 gallons of 10%. I am so glad I got the kit to keep track of all the levels.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
I'm in Houston, so similar climate. There are some in this area that go with higher CYA levels to reduce FC demand. You run a higher FC level, but your daily FC losses are less.

The target is where you want to adjust your FC each day. Best is to put the LC into your pool in the evening, this way it is raised overnight. FC is generally lost due to UV light exposure. Well, that and whatever stuff gets into the pool. Most is UV loss.

In another question you asked what we use if we can't find Liquid Chlorine. Using powdered Calcium Hypochlorite is good to keep around as a backup. It does raise CH, but not as fast as Trichlor pucks raise CYA. And "Cal-Hypo" keeps well.
And while not recommended for normal use, Trichlor pucks are "handy" for times when you are away for a few days. Just keep track of how much CYA you are adding to the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know several people have mentioned it, but I haven't seen anyone actually come out and say it - Look into a Salt Water Chlorine Generator when you have time. It basically removes the need to have to hunt for chlorine which has become difficult. I absolutely love mine...

Reactions: reggiehammond
Any recommendations on a cover. We had looked at the beginning of summer but just never bit it and gave up looking.
I had a 16mm cover and it was a BEAST. I went to a 12mm cover and it is easier to manage.

I have had good results with:
and

I bought a cheapy reel and regretted it. These are pricey, but the 3 works really well for my 20x40 rectangle pool.

I'm in Houston, so similar climate. There are some in this area that go with higher CYA levels to reduce FC demand. You run a higher FC level, but your daily FC losses are less.

The target is where you want to adjust your FC each day. Best is to put the LC into your pool in the evening, this way it is raised overnight. FC is generally lost due to UV light exposure. Well, that and whatever stuff gets into the pool. Most is UV loss.

In another question you asked what we use if we can't find Liquid Chlorine. Using powdered Calcium Hypochlorite is good to keep around as a backup. It does raise CH, but not as fast as Trichlor pucks raise CYA. And "Cal-Hypo" keeps well.
And while not recommended for normal use, Trichlor pucks are "handy" for times when you are away for a few days. Just keep track of how much CYA you are adding to the pool.
How do you raise you CYA levels? I guess I am at the lower end of good, so would it hurt to raise it 10?
I have 1/2 a bucket of chlorine tabs left and a whole unopened bucket of shock (that I had just bought last time at the pool store). I will save/keep as a very last resort. 🤷‍♀️

I know several people have mentioned it, but I haven't seen anyone actually come out and say it - Look into a Salt Water Chlorine Generator when you have time. It basically removes the need to have to hunt for chlorine which has become difficult. I absolutely love mine...
I JUST mentioned this to my husband about 30 minutes ago. He said "yeah but what is their cost of upkeep compared to ours?" I said IDK

How do you raise you CYA levels? I guess I am at the lower end of good, so would it hurt to raise it 10?
I have 1/2 a bucket of chlorine tabs left and a whole unopened bucket of shock (that I had just bought last time at the pool store). I will save/keep as a very last resort. 🤷‍♀️
We buy Chlorine Stabilizer. It is a dry, 100% CYA product. We use pool math to decide how much, put it in a sock, put the sock in the skimmer and let it soften and then we SQEEEZE!!! Or we hang the sock in front of a return. It will dissolve over a period of time.

Reactions: ghall6292
He said "yeah but what is their cost of upkeep compared to ours?" I said IDK
Cost of upkeep is 0. Cost of purchase is something else - and people get different mileage out of them. Basic recommendation is buy one that can handle 2x your pool volume. Should last many many years, and once you find the sweet spot, no more lugging chlorine at all.

Reactions: Sherihicks92
I JUST mentioned this to my husband about 30 minutes ago. He said "yeah but what is their cost of upkeep compared to ours?" I said IDK
There are a TON of threads here on the cost of SWCG vs. Chlorine. Depends on how long your pool is open, how big etc. Search if you are interested.

With chlorine prices going through the roof, SWCG seems to now have the edge.

Let's try your pool.

(1.5 gallons per day) x 240 days (8 month season?) = 360 gallons x $5/gallon = $1800 per year. Not to mention gas and your time.

SWCG = $1800 installed will last 5-8 years? (plus 20 bags of salt, @5$ = $100).

You can play with the math...seems to be if you have a 15K gallon pool or larger, it favors the SWCG.

We buy Chlorine Stabilizer. It is a dry, 100% CYA product. We use pool math to decide how much, put it in a sock, put the sock in the skimmer and let it soften and then we SQEEEZE!!! Or we hang the sock in front of a return. It will dissolve over a period of time.
I will get some this weekend and raise it some. Why a sock and not dissolve and put in the pool? Just curious.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.