Physical Methods of adding borax... Acid and Chlorine

terryking

Bronze Supporter
Dec 19, 2012
West Topsham, Vermont USA
Hi Everyone! Been following TFP for 10+ years and about 7 on this pool. Works Great. Never Algae, Always really clear.

I add recommended borax and Hcl Muriatic acid to balance.

BUT: How to physically add / mix the borax?? What I have been doing last 4 years is set pump to recirculate and slowly pour borax into skimmer. I see a little plume at the two returns but no precipitate on the pool bottom. I'll be doing my usual 16 boxes this week.

I do not see this approach being recommended, but rather buckets / mixer / broadcast. My approach seems very easy.. IsThere some downsize to what I'm doing??

How about SLOW (therefore diluted) muriatic acid into the skimmer on recirculate??

How about SLOW 10% bleach into skimmer on recirculate?

Seems like I have this big sucker pump that feeds two return areas with LOTS of water. Why not use it to distribute stuff into my pool??

THANKS for any comments and suggestions...

Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont (Just back from 3 months in the Desert and Petrified Forest in Egypt)

Hi Everyone! Been following TFP for 10+ years and about 7 on this pool. Works Great. Never Algae, Always really clear.

I add recommended borax and Hcl Muriatic acid to balance.

BUT: How to physically add / mix the borax?? What I have been doing last 4 years is set pump to recirculate and slowly pour borax into skimmer. I see a little plume at the two returns but no precipitate on the pool bottom. I'll be doing my usual 16 boxes this week.
This is the recommended method:

I do not see this approach being recommended, but rather buckets / mixer / broadcast. My approach seems very easy.. IsThere some downsize to what I'm doing??
Our method protects your pool, you and your equipment.
How about SLOW (therefore diluted) muriatic acid into the skimmer on recirculate??
NEVER pour acid into a skimmer, you can damage equipment. Always a pencil thin stream in front of a return.
How about SLOW 10% bleach into skimmer on recirculate?
NEVER pour chlorine into a skimmer, you can damage equipment. Always a pencil thin stream in front of a return.
Seems like I have this big sucker pump that feeds two return areas with LOTS of water. Why not use it to distribute stuff into my pool??
Because you can damage your equipment.
THANKS for any comments and suggestions...

Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont (Just back from 3 months in the Desert and Petrified Forest in Egypt)
Very Cool!!!

Adding chems to the skimmer is not advised- powdered things can clog the pipes or get trapped in the filter media.
Running acid or bleach directly through your equipment isn’t advised as it can & will wear out your orings & other equipment seals etc.
If your goal is increasing borates then using granular boric acid is much simpler & has almost no effect on ph like borax does. Just pour it in the pool, brush it around & done ✅

Bleach & muriatic acid should be added undiluted by pouring slowly in front of a running return away from the pool wall.
Brush the area so nothing pools on the floor.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.