Kentucky
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Getting my hot tub set up and water balanced. I believe I read it is not recommended to add chlorine and Muriatic acid within 24 hours in a pool.

Is this the same case with hot tubs? How long after adding Muriatic acid and running system do I have to wait before I add some Dichlor? Hot tub is 455 gallons.

You can easily add them within 15 to 20mins of one another. As long as all of dichlor granules have dissolved, there is absolutely no danger in adding MA. The idea that you have to wait 24 hours in a pool to add those chemicals is ridiculous and a complete misunderstanding of the chemistry. The only real danger would be adding concentrated MA directly to solid chlorine granules, that would cause a chlorine gas exposure and likely a very exothermic reaction that could cause a fire. But that is not at all what would happen in 450 gallons of water.

You can easily add them within 15 to 20mins of one another. As long as all of dichlor granules have dissolved, there is absolutely no danger in adding MA. The idea that you have to wait 24 hours in a pool to add those chemicals is ridiculous and a complete misunderstanding of the chemistry. The only real danger would be adding concentrated MA directly to solid chlorine granules, that would cause a chlorine gas exposure and likely a very exothermic reaction that could cause a fire. But that is not at all what would happen in 450 gallons of water.
Perfect. Thank you for the quick reply!!

Hey Dan 👋
Be sure to check out our guide for hot tubs

I know it is not recommended, but I add them one after the other.

With both jet pumps on, I add bleach/di chlor into the center of my tub. I then go about putting away the bleach, getting out and measuring the acid. That takes about a minute. Then I add the acid. I have never had any issues.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I wait maybe 5 minutes between chlorine & MA for the hot tub.
I usually do MA first if its needed.
Fyi- dichlor is acidic, be sure to account for that before dosing with acid.
Use PoolMath effects of adding (in the hamburger menu) to see all dichlor’s effects.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.