May 19, 2023
Jersey Shore
Which to adjust first please?

FC: 12 (just coming off a SLAMaroo)
TC: 12
CC: 0
pH: 8.5
TA: 50
CH: 80 (vinyl - not concerned right now)
CYA: 60 (from pucks in past)

I am well aware that I should typically adjust TA first, but with an already elevated pH, I am wondering if I should get that back in range first this time? I say "back in range" because prior to my SLAM my pH was at a nice 7.3

Welcome to the forum.
Wait until your FC is at or below 10 ppm to test for pH.
IF you add baking soda, only target a TA of 80 ppm. Then a pH of 7.8

Welcome to the forum.
Wait until your FC is at or below 10 ppm to test for pH.
IF you add baking soda, only target a TA of 80 ppm. Then a pH of 7.8
Thank you sir. And glad to be here. I am hoping with a 60 CYA and a full sun day here in Jersey, I should be below 10ppm FC by this evening.

So what you are saying is shoot for slow and steady. Don't try and get em both in one shot?
Bring TA up a bit (but not to target) - wait a few hours - Bring pH down a bit (but not to target)
Then TA up again, followed by bringing pH down?
I think I can hit my targets if I do that process 3 x's

Thank you sir. And glad to be here. I am hoping with a 60 CYA and a full sun day here in Jersey, I should be below 10ppm FC by this evening.

So what you are saying is shoot for slow and steady. Don't try and get em both in one shot?
Bring TA up a bit (but not to target) - wait a few hours - Bring pH down a bit (but not to target)
Then TA up again, followed by bringing pH down?
I think I can hit my targets if I do that process 3 x's
You should not be testing any of that extra stuff during a SLAM. The pH test is invalid when the chlorine is that high.

Yes. You have now posted a link to the "SLAM Process" three times in 4 posts. I can assure you I have read the process many times long before ever creating an account with the site this morning. I guess it is assumed that all new users here are complete morons and know absolutely nothing about pool care. I have visited this site to gain much valuable knowledge over the years when tending to my primary residence pool.
I just acquired this property from a bankruptcy and the pool has not been opened or tended to for 4 years. That's 3 summers and 4 winters it has been closed shut. Because of knowledge from this site I've never run into a situation like this as I keep my pool absolutely perfect. I thought I would finally register here and share a new experience and ask a few questions. I simple inquired as to why you feel I wasn't done by asking if you feel it looked cloudy in the pic (it isn't) or if you feel it's impossible to complete a SLAM in 48 hrs.
As per the link I have refereed to dozens of times over the years:
  1. CC's 0.5 or lower - Check as clearly stated in my very first Post - I'm at 0.0
  2. Pass an OCLT - Check as stated in post #7
    So that's actually TWO indicators.
  3. pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae (dead or alive) on floor and walls - Now for me this is also checked off. The water sparkles, it's blue, I can see the main drain and belive if I tossed a coin down there I could tell if it's heads or tails. You can take my word for it or go by a picture I took at 8:10pm last night on my iPhone when sunset was at 8:09 according to my local weather. Pump running, water rippling, relatively getting dark and the iPhone doing it's "light capture" thing to make it appear brighter than it was. But I have no idea if that is what you are basing it on because you haven't said either way.
I'm sorry, but simply saying "You are not done - Read This" without stating why is not very helpful and honestly, quite pretentious.

But thanks anyway. I'll just go back to being an observer of the site.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Until the pool water is Gin clear, it's not clear.
Any cloudiness means it isn't clear.
In the 3rd pic you posted in post #3, there is still a lot of cloudiness - even the stairs aren't clealy visible.

See here for inspiration:
How Clear is TFP Clear?

@mknauss has provided sound advice.

Reactions: pjt
Seeing heads or tails 7.50 feet down not Gin Clear - Got it

Viewing a picture in less than ideal conditions tells more than the naked eye in person - Got it.
That's great if that's what you see in person. To my eye, pic 2 and 3 are equally cloudy, just different levels of ambient light.

Reactions: RenATL
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.