Perplexed in MD

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, anytime you wonder. Then you don't need to guess.

50% for how long ? I scrolled up to see if the runtime was listed but either it isn't, or I missed it.

It's possible the cell shut off after you checked it, but I doubt you lost 5 ppm in the afternoon only. I also doubt algae showed up while it was maintaining 6ppm just fine at lunch. So I'll put my money on your CYA being too low. Maybe it dipped to 50 and the extra hot day zapped your FC. If the OCLT passes, you need more CYA.
I have been running the SWG at 50% setting for the last 2 days. My pump schedule is 7a-10a at 1800 RPM with a 90-min period at 3000 RPM for the in-floor cleaner.

I just tested my CYA and it was right around 60 (as it has before). You can see my pool logs.

In any case, I panicked, used the Pool Math to calculate raising FC from 1.0 to 7.0 and added 2 gal of Bleach. Panic move?

I will see how it goes today and do an OCLT test.

In any case, I panicked, used the Pool Math to calculate raising FC from 1.0 to 7.0 and added 2 gal of Bleach. Panic move?
*smartest move you could have made.

Anytime the FC is free and clear above minimum, we have time to figure out the rest. Anytime below minimum, the swamp clock is ticking.
I just tested my CYA and it was right around 60 (as it has before). You can see my pool logs.
We'll see what the OCLT says. 60 might not be cutting it for the rest of the peak season.
Bleach addition was after I read this:
It's rare but possible. Prove there's no algae. Prove the CYA will hold FC the next few days. Then we lol and shrug that it must have been the CH.

Reactions: openland
*smartest move you could have made.
Whew ... I will be testing FC/CC every 2-3 hrs throughout the day
Anytime the FC is free and clear above minimum, we have time to figure out the rest. Anytime below minimum, the swamp clock is ticking.

We'll see what the OCLT says. 60 might not be cutting it for the rest of the peak season.
So wait to add stabilizer until after I know what OCLT says?
It's rare but possible. Prove there's no algae. Prove the CYA will hold FC the next few days. Then we lol and shrug that it must have been the CH.
Indeed. Was wondering whether to add my story to that other thread. Going to hold off.

BTW, this is what I used:
Calcium-Hardness-Increaser

So wait to add stabilizer until after I know what OCLT says?
Yes. Each 10 CYA raises the SLAM target by 4ppm. You'd much prefer the lower SLAM target if given the chance.

If there is any shadow of a doubt something is brewing, never raise the CYA without an OCLT.
Was wondering whether to add my story to that other thread. Going to hold off.
If we disprove everything else, then the Calcium is easier to blame.

FC held today ~6.0 (fam was swimming a bit and it was a bit sunny). I did not add any more bleach since the 2 gallons this morning

OCLT has commenced: 6.0/0.0 @ 9:15pm EST

Reactions: Newdude
OCLT has commenced: 6.0/0.0 @ 9:15pm EST
Result: 6.0/0.0 at 5:24am EST.
No FC loss = OCLT Pass!
I wonder if the large Calcium Hardness addition freaked out the SWG and it shut down? I should probably inspect the salt cell to see if there's any calcium build up.

CYA has been testing at 60 since the addition of 4 lbs of stabilizer a couple of weeks ago (was at 50 originally).
I have been keeping my FC right around 7.0 at CYA 60.

Should I raise CYA to 70?

Last edited:
Welp, the FC held yesterday so you likely don't need to. It's also going to get a little warmer soon so it wouldn't hurt to be ahead of the curve when summer gets here.
I am going to see how things go this week and then maybe raise it to 70.

I also got my CH only to 300. I think it'd take about another 15 lbs of Calcium Hardness Increaser to get it to 350. Should I keep going knowing now that I will need to monitor FC after addition and supplement with bleach, if needed?

Last edited:
Meaning I should raise CYA?
It's up to you if you want to monitor it how it is now to ensure it stays OK, or possibly add a little more than you needed to be covered for the eventual heat wave.
I think it'd take about another 15 lbs of Calcium Hardness Increaser to get it to 350. Should I keep going
Yes. Most of us on the east coast lose CH between rain and low CH fill water. So you'll want to start, higher than the low side.
knowing now that I will need to monitor FC after addition and supplement with bleach, if needed?
Experience is the best teacher. You got this. (y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's up to you if you want to monitor it how it is now to ensure it stays OK, or possibly add a little more than you needed to be covered for the eventual heat wave.
Agreed ... testing is the way! A week or so ago @duraleigh said: "I would leave a CYA of 60 alone. in your climate. If you see your FC loss exceeds 2-3 ppm daily, then I would go to 70 CYA, It's easy to put CYA in but hard to take it out."

"I would leave a CYA of 60 alone. in your climate. If you see your FC loss exceeds 2-3 ppm daily, then I would go to 70 CYA, It's easy to put CYA in but hard to take it out."
That is sound advice from a well seasoned veteran.

But its been a particularly mild spring for us up here and I have a gut feeling summer is going to show up one of these days. It's entirely up to you if you'd like to pay closer attention to it than you would have so it doesn't sneak up on you, or if you want to just add 10 now and be covered either way.

The only downside to adding 10 CYA, is that your SLAM target goes from 24 to 28. If you maintain your FC, it's irrelevant. If you somehow get algae anyway, it won't change the price of beer with a slightly higher target.

That is sound advice from a well seasoned veteran.

But its been a particularly mild spring for us up here and I have a gut feeling summer is going to show up one of these days. It's entirely up to you if you'd like to pay closer attention to it than you would have so it doesn't sneak up on you, or if you want to just add 10 now and be covered either way.
Summer definitely showed up here in MD this weekend. Upper 80s during the day with 9,000,000,000% humidity.
The only downside to adding 10 CYA, is that your SLAM target goes from 24 to 28. If you maintain your FC, it's irrelevant. If you somehow get algae anyway, it won't change the price of beer with a slightly higher target.
Copy that. I am going to keep an eye out on FC levels and adjust SWG setting accordingly (maybe supplement with Bleach?). Would like to keep CYA at 60 unless daily FC loss becomes too significant.

Reactions: Newdude
Have been holding CYA at 60 and keeping my FC around 6.0-7.0. pH holding steady at 7.8.

So far so good, although pool math suggests raising CYA to 70. I’m going to keep it at 60 unless I have hard time maintaining FC.

CH is at 290. Should I add more Calcium Hardness to get it to 350 range?

Don't add more CH. It depends on the CH of your fill water......what is it?
I actually have no idea. The pool was filled years ago before my ownership (so I assume it was trucked in from elsewhere). I have just been adding water from the well at the beginning of the season (whatever needs added after snow/rain - I have a mesh cover). I can find out what the CH of the well water is from the water company.

Last edited:
The well CH is very low. Like 20
Ok GREAT. So it won't ever raise your CH by a noticeable amount. Most of us on the east coast lose more CH to rain than we gain from fill water, and we always have to add CH accordingly, but we always need conformation first or your personal well would have been 650 CH because Murphy's. :ROFLMAO:

So with this info, I'd raise your CH to 350 or even 400 to buy some more time for it falling.

So with this info, I'd raise your CH to 350 or even 400 to buy some more time for it falling.
so about 20 more lbs of Calcium Hardness Increaser. Last time it took my FC down to 1.0 in one day when I added 25 lbs (passed the OCLT test, so I think it was the chemical)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.