Perplexed in MD

Last time it took my FC down to 1.0 in one day (passed the OCLT test, so I think it was the chemical)
We haven't been able to replicate it, but it is reported from time to time. CH is FC neutral so it must stem from the fact that most CH increases have additives, especially the snow melt kinds.

Keep tabs on it because it's likely to happen again with your brand.

We haven't been able to replicate it, but it is reported from time to time. CH is FC neutral so it must stem from the fact that most CH increases have additives, especially the snow melt kinds.

Keep tabs on it because it's likely to happen again with your brand.
Just added 20 lbs of Calcium Hardness and 1 lb of Stabilizer. Will monitor FC throughout the day.

This morning did my weekly “full” test and noticed that the borates are at 25 vs 50 (using the test strips). Pool Math says to add like 64 lbs of Borax (and a few gallons of MYA). Would I add it all at once or spread it out? 64 lbs of anything seems a bit excessive.

This morning did my weekly “full” test and noticed that the borates are at 25 vs 50 (using the test strips).
Never dose anything from test strips. Ever.
Pool Math says to add like 64 lbs of Borax (and a few gallons of MYA)
Assuming you have to buy the supplies, buy boric acid instead to do it the easy way with only that.

But I wouldn't. Most people dose at the start of the season and assume some rain dilution over the season as acceptable. Then hit it again next year.
64 lbs of anything seems a bit excessive.
Well some of that is on us, our pools are huge. I needed almost 1000 lbs of salt at startup.

Never dose anything from test strips. Ever.
Aye aye!
Assuming you have to buy the supplies, buy boric acid instead to do it the easy way with only that.

But I wouldn't. Most people dose at the start of the season and assume some rain dilution over the season as acceptable. Then hit it again next year.
I’m going to wait and monitor. Everything else in the pool is at the proper level (or soon will be after the CH and CYA additions).
Well some of that is on us, our pools are huge. I needed almost 1000 lbs of salt at startup.
Yikes! Salty much? 😜

Reactions: Newdude
Strangely enough, that FC loss happened again. Went from 6.5 to 4.0 after the Calcium Hardness addition (I usually lose about 1-1.5 during sunny days and today was mostly overcast). This time I caught it early and have remedies with bleach.

SWG wasn’t showing any faults or errors, so something in that bucket of Calcium Hardness Increaser I got from
In The Swim is messing with FC.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.