Perfect pool, but phosphates were high - no one using currently, should I bother reducing?

ionizer

Gold Supporter
Jun 7, 2016
Marlboro, NJ
Pool is perfectly balanced, clear as can be. It's a bit cold so no one is using it yet. When I went to buy something at the store I had them test the water (I do this once in the beginning of the year just to see how well it matches up to my measurements, but I never bought a phosphate testing kit).

They told me the phosphates were high (I need to see again what they said it was). As a purely preventative measure to reduce even the slightest potentiwl.of algae growth if my SWG is ever not at the right level, does it make sense in my case to lower the phosphates?

I read the article about doing it as an insurance policy but not sure I fully understood when it is appropriate if you aren't having any issues.

Thank you.

does it make sense in my case to lower the phosphates?
9 times out of 10, phosphate testing and control doesn't make a huge difference in water management when your FC-to-CYA levels are balanced and maintained properly. It is your pool however, and if you elect to use a phosphate reducer, we recommend you use a good product and not the junk pushed by the local pool store. Those are watered down.

You're 0-fer-2 ionizer.......... we don't reccomend those either. :ROFLMAO:

You can chose to treat the phosphates, but only after you use your own kit to test them.

Or you can ensure the SWG is set high enough to never dance min FC, and you be prepared to step in with liquid chlorine if it does dance the min line.

Thanks I had read that already, but it wasn't clear when you should do so for insurance policy purposes.
If you use your own phosphate test and are over 4000ppb, it starts to make sense...exactly for the reason you state. If algae takes hold, it will be faster growth if you are north of about 4000ppb. Otherwise, as stated, ignore it.

If you use your own phosphate test and are over 4000ppb, it starts to make sense...exactly for the reason you state. If algae takes hold, it will be faster growth if you are north of about 4000ppb. Otherwise, as stated, ignore it.
Thank you. Since phosphates aren't something I normally test. Is it really necessary to go off my measurement vs the pool store for this one test?

If yes, which test is best to get for it?

If no. And pool store phosphate remove is sh1t, where do I go about purchasing it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you gave them your phone number they should be able to look it up. But who cares. If the numbers are off, then we know which ones not to believe. If they are similar, then we know which ones not to believe ;)

Threw the paper away from Leslie's a few weeks ago,
We all do that. It's okay. :)

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

• Haha
Reactions: clambert1273
Is 1000ppb considered high or normal?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.