Pentair Intelliflo pump - stopped working, no activity at LCD

Sep 24, 2023
Austin, TX
Hi, I've been reading the forum posts and didn't find the exact answer to the issue I'm seeing and was hoping for some help before I call Pentair tomorrow.

I have a 3HP variable speed pump that has been working fine for the last 3 years (install date 5/1/2020) but all of a sudden it stopped working yesterday; no display at the pump, no signal via Screenlogic/automation. I checked the breakers, and confirmed there is 240v at the pump and the relay is working with I turn it on at the panel. I live in Austin, TX, so no lightning recently and the pump wasn't making any funny noises prior to it going out.

Based on my research, it sounds as if the drive unit went bad, but the pump and LCD are still ok?

If the above is correct, a few questions:
  • Given I'm 5 months out of warranty, would Pentair definitely not warranty?
  • If they don't warranty, is it possible to repair the drive unit?
  • If unable to repair, does getting a used one (1/2 the cost of new) present any major issues?
Thanks in advance!

Rich

Welcome to TFP.

What model number is your pump.

Make a warranty claim and see what Pentair says.

How did you confirm there is 240V at the pump?

A VS pump should have continuous power and not be connected through a relay.

Richard.

I too want to know how you determined that you have 240 Volts AC at the pump itself???

If you used a meter, did you test between L1 and L2 (The two hot leads) or did you test L1 to ground and then L2 to ground? You MUST test between L1 and L2 to be valid..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you all for the prompt responses! I followed the instructions from the forum and took off the LCD screen and tested the red and black heads at the pump and got 240v.

Here are the part numbers:
  • 356928.c - Pump (think it's VS)
  • 357526D - LCD
  • 356880 - Drive Unit

Show us pics of the pump and all the labels especially on the front of the pump.

Update from Pentair. Filed a claim and they honored a one time out of warranty claim for the drive unit! So, hopefully I can get that swapped out and get the pump running again; the pool is already cloudy, so lots of shock until I can get it switched out.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the compatibility of drive units are? Mine is P/N 356880 and actually there is someone that has a used one with P/N 356878Z and wondering if I could use that until my replacement unit gets here.

Update from Pentair. Filed a claim and they honored a one time out of warranty claim for the drive unit! So, hopefully I can get that swapped out and get the pump running again; the pool is already cloudy, so lots of shock until I can get it switched out.

Great!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the compatibility of drive units are? Mine is P/N 356880 and actually there is someone that has a used one with P/N 356878Z and wondering if I could use that until my replacement unit gets here.

The 2023 Pentair Pump Parts Catalog shows the parts commonality across the product line.

1695671807816.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.