Charleston, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
I installed a Pentair Intelliflo 011018 VS pump in 2013 and have loved every minute of the ease of use. I have an intermatic timer that operates the pump and SWG from 08.00-20.00 with three periods of higher RPM to skim the surface. A couple of weeks ago, the water temp rose above 60 and I started the SWG again. I noticed that the RPMs were not correct (low flow on SWG due to time of pump being overnight which is set to 450 RPM) and discovered that the internal clock on the pump is reverting back to midnight when it turns off. I have used the work around of keeping the pump running 24/7 and all seems to be working. Is there a fix for the clock issues (I found a couple of old threads from '19 and before with no solution)? Are there any other issues I should be on the look out for? I am going away for a long weekend in a couple of weeks and want to be sure I can leave with peace of mind that all will be well when I return. To be clear, I will buy another Pentair VS pump in a heartbeat when this one completely fails.

Thank you in advance.

Otter

Hi. This thread implies there's a component called a super-capacitor that's supposed to maintain the time for up to 96 hours. It's likely yours has failed. Capacitors don't last forever. Unfortunately looks like the repair method is to replace the drive, which is expensive.

VSPs are not meant to be wired to timers. They're intended to have 24/7 power and respond only to their own internal program. The super-capacitor is there to cover power failures. Perhaps cycling it daily hastened its death.

I get the goodness of having yours on a timer so that the SWG won't ever be on when the pump is off. Just saying the pump is not being used as intended. Newer Intelliflos offer relays to control accessories like SWGs for this reason. They would allow you to delete your timer.

I'm just a fellow Intelliflo user. If one of the experts says something different, trust them over me.

Last edited:
An Intelliflo pump should be connected to constant power not switched power.

The IntelliFlo should retain its clock settings if power is lost for up to 96 hours. If the capacitor that powers the clock fails the Intelliflo's clock resets to midnight if the power is lost for more than a few seconds.

Pentair customer service confirmed it should retain the time for 96 hours, and stated that if it wasn't, something was wrong with "the capacitor that holds the time." The only thing that could fix this is "replacing the drive," which they didn't recommend because "it's as expensive as the whole pump."

Members who have examined the drive say it is all potted and no components are accessible.