South West Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
I have a IC-20 plugged directly into the power center, no other controls (easy touch etc) I have not been able to lower the output %. The less and more buttons work when pressed together but not separately unless I’m doing something wrong. I have read the manual 5 times but I still cannot reduce the %. All the lights are on, I’m assuming 100%. I have removed and. Cleaned but no change. Attached picture. Any help, please and thank you. IMG_1501.jpeg

Jw,

How old is the cell?

Assuming it was working fine and now no longer works, it sounds to me like the cell 'thinks' you have an automation system, even though you do not. If that is true, then the cell is bad. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jw,

How old is the cell?

Assuming it was working fine and now no longer works, it sounds to me like the cell 'thinks' you have an automation system, even though you do not. If that is true, then the cell is bad. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim, thanks for answering, we just moved in recently so I’m not sure if it is or was working. The cell is about 12 years old I believe.
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff,

I don't think that cell is 12 years old.. Most cells last about 5 to 7 years. You have a smaller pool, so it should last longer..

Your cell has two scales for the sanitizer lights which older cells did not have. Notice that it can either be 20% to 100% OR it can be 2% to 10%.. When in the 2% to 10% range the sanitizer light will continuously flash..

If you slide the plastic cover back and push just the less button and hold it, nothing happens? If that is true, then sorry to say, I have know of no trick to make it work. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, thanks for answering, we just moved in recently so I’m not sure if it is or was working. The cell is about 12 years old I believe.
Thanks
Jeff
There is a sticker with the serial and warranty dates on the bottom/back of the cell.

However if its half as old as you think, that cell is long since done producing chlorine.

Jeff,

I don't think that cell is 12 years old.. Most cells last about 5 to 7 years. You have a smaller pool, so it should last longer..

Your cell has two scales for the sanitizer lights which older cells did not have. Notice that it can either be 20% to 100% OR it can be 2% to 10%.. When in the 2% to 10% range the sanitizer light will continuously flash..

If you slide the plastic cover back and push just the less button and hold it, nothing happens? If that is true, then sorry to say, I have know of no trick to make it work. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.
Pressing or holding the “less” button does nothing. Holding the “plus” button runs through all the lights and then goes back to the same as before holding the button. I am not having any issues with my chlorine numbers?

. I am not having any issues with my chlorine numbers?

Jeff, FC of 1.6 with CYA 70 is not a good chlorine number.

If that is all you have with your IC20 running at 100% with your 7500 gallon pool your have a problem.

What is the daily runtime of your pump?

FC_CYA_Chart.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidArmenB

If that is all you have with your IC20 running at 100% with your 7500 gallon pool your have a problem.

FC_CYA_Chart.png
I mis-spoke. Chlorine was much better weeks ago. Is your opinion that the SWG is shot?

FC_CYA_Chart.png
I mis-spoke. Chlorine was much better weeks ago. Is it your opinion that my SWG is shot?
IMG_2186.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I mis-spoke. Chlorine was much better weeks ago. Is your opinion that the SWG is shot?

Yup.

What is your daily pump runtime?

5 years is about the expected lifespan in FL. Especially if the cell has been cleaned with acid which shortens its life.

Yup.

What is your daily pump runtime?

5 years is about the expected lifespan in FL. Especially if the cell has been cleaned with acid which shortens its life.
For the last year it’s been running 8-10 hours a day. I cleaned it the last time, just with water it was really clean. Before that 3 months ago the pool guy did it, don’t know if he used acid. Is it worth taking it to the pool store to have it tested or just call it now?

Running your IC20 at 100% in your 7500 gallon pool 8-10 hours per day should give you 3.7-4.7 ppm of FC. More then you need this time of year and you should see your FC rising, not falling.

Pool stores can only test Hayward cells, not Pentair cells.

Just get a new IC20. You are due.

Running your IC20 at 100% in your 7500 gallon pool 8-10 hours per day should give you 3.7-4.7 ppm of FC. More then you need this time of year and you should see your FC rising, not falling.

Pool stores can only test Hayward cells, not Pentair cells.

Just get a new IC20. You are due.
Thank you for the advice and help. I guess I will be purchasing a late Christmas present for my wife!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I’m having a little problem of where to go from here. I have given up on the bits of whatever in the pool. I replaced the IC20 it’s working well. Here are some recent reading the last suggested I run the swg at 69% for 62 hours. Any guidence would be appreciated. I hope I did the post correctly.

Attachments

• text 2.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 9
Assuming it was installed around the time it was manufactured (which is not a guarantee):

5 years * 365 days per year * 8 hours per day = 14,600 hours.
6 years * 365 days per year * 10 hours per day = 21,900 hours. IntelliChlors only produce chlorine for 10,000 hours.

If the thing was installed some number of years after it was made, or not run 8 hours a day all that time or not run at 100% all that time, the math would be different, of course. But you get the gist.

Regardless, it's out of warranty and it's no longer making chlorine... There's no magic combo of button presses to change that.

Oops, we must have been writing at the same time. Sounds like you got it working now!!

It's over producing. Reduce the runtime or the output percentage or both. Keep adjusting and testing until you have it dialed in. For now, turn it off for a day or two, retest. Turn it back on, at 50% of where it is now, when the FC gets back down to 5-ish. Test the next day. Lather rinse repeat until the FC holds at the target value you want.

I’m having a little problem of where to go from here. I have given up on the bits of whatever in the pool. I replaced the IC20 it’s working well. Here are some recent reading the last suggested I run the swg at 69% for 62 hours. Any guidence would be appreciated. I hope I did the post correctly.
I am not sure what you are asking. Your water chemistry looks fine…

IMG_1132.png

Thanks Dirk, I just replaced it and yes it was dead. Now I’m making chlorine again. I have attached my last test results and not sure what to do next with my readings. I’m confused, acid, chlorine, swg for days. What does anyone think of my readings?

Attachments

• text 2.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.