Pentair Heater Not Switching Between Pool & Spa

jpchap

May 14, 2024
Westlake Village, CA
For background, last fall after some heavy rains our heater controls stopped working properly. I ended up replacing the motherboard and I was able to control almost everything. I just wasn't able to get the heater to switch between pool and spa without doing it manually on the heater. But we were ready to be done with the pool for the year so I just left it alone. Now we're ready to reopen the pool for the summer and I'm hoping to fix whatever the issue is.

Here's what I'm running into:

The Intellitouch panel and Screenlogic app are able to turn the heater on and off and set the temperature without issue. However, when I need to switch from the pool to the spa (or vice versa) that is where the problem arises. Say I'm heating the pool and I want to start heating the spa. I can turn off the heater, turn off the filter, and and switch the valve from pool to spa. I can then turn the filter back on, and turn the heater back on. So far so good. However, when the heater comes back on it is still in pool mode not spa mode. The only way I can get it to switch is to hit the pool/spa button on the heater. Again, this happens both ways (pool to spa and spa to pool) and also happens if I switch the Intellitouch to Service mode and try to do everything manually on the panel. Somehow the panel is not telling the the new motherboard to switch modes. With the old motherboard it would automatically switch modes when the valve switched.

I'm hoping someone here has seen this before and can help. Attaching pics of the heater controls and the Intellitouch panel in case they're helpful.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4762.jpeg
    IMG_4762.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4763.jpeg
    IMG_4763.jpeg
    457.2 KB · Views: 3
Nothing is wrong except for your expectation.

The IntelliTouch never told the heater to switch modes.

The heater works the same under automation control whether in POOL mode or SPA mode. You should be leaving the heater in SPA mode set to 104 and never touch the heater control panel in normal operation. The heater will heat the pool and spa fine.

The IntelliTouch will control the heater and you should make any changes to the heater operation at the IntelliTouch controls.

Reactions: wireform
For background, last fall after some heavy rains our heater controls stopped working properly. I ended up replacing the motherboard and I was able to control almost everything. I just wasn't able to get the heater to switch between pool and spa without doing it manually on the heater. But we were ready to be done with the pool for the year so I just left it alone. Now we're ready to reopen the pool for the summer and I'm hoping to fix whatever the issue is.

Here's what I'm running into:

The Intellitouch panel and Screenlogic app are able to turn the heater on and off and set the temperature without issue. However, when I need to switch from the pool to the spa (or vice versa) that is where the problem arises. Say I'm heating the pool and I want to start heating the spa. I can turn off the heater, turn off the filter, and and switch the valve from pool to spa. I can then turn the filter back on, and turn the heater back on. So far so good. However, when the heater comes back on it is still in pool mode not spa mode. The only way I can get it to switch is to hit the pool/spa button on the heater. Again, this happens both ways (pool to spa and spa to pool) and also happens if I switch the Intellitouch to Service mode and try to do everything manually on the panel. Somehow the panel is not telling the the new motherboard to switch modes. With the old motherboard it would automatically switch modes when the valve switched.

I'm hoping someone here has seen this before and can help. Attaching pics of the heater controls and the Intellitouch panel in case they're helpful.

Thank you!
On the heater, "Pool" mode is just a temperature setting, the same for "Spa." The heater hasn't a clue as to which body of water is actually being heated.
The heater should be set to either "Pool" or "Spa" while it is running, the temperature set to 104 and then walk away. Be sure to close the sunscreen over the touchpad. Let the automation control it from that point and you will be happy.

Thank you I will give that a try.

I have a related question which may have the same answer. The temperature readings on the heater controls and in the ScreeLogic app don't match. For example, the app will have the water temp at 78 and the heater controls will say it's 82. I didn't understand why that would be because I assumed they got their readings from the same sensor. (FWIW the set points never match either.) But based on your answer above maybe it doesn't matter? Should I just follow the app reading and basically ignore the numbers on the heater?

Thanks again!

There is a sensor in the heater and a different sensor used by the the IntelliTouch/EasyTouch.

You need to use a separate accurate thermometer, such as a food thermometer, to determine what the real water temperature is. If it matters to you.

How to calibrate the EasyTouch temperature sensors is described in Pentair Automation Systems - Further Reading @ogdento can tell you if the calibration is the same on an IntelliTouch.

Or you can ignore what the heater temperature says and just use the IntelliTouch.

Last edited:
Thank you I will give that a try.

I have a related question which may have the same answer. The temperature readings on the heater controls and in the ScreeLogic app don't match. For example, the app will have the water temp at 78 and the heater controls will say it's 82. I didn't understand why that would be because I assumed they got their readings from the same sensor. (FWIW the set points never match either.) But based on your answer above maybe it doesn't matter? Should I just follow the app reading and basically ignore the numbers on the heater?

Thanks again!
Be sure to set the heater to 104. If you set it to 86 and the automation to 102, the water will heat to 86.
To this day, I get at least two calls a year where the complaint is that the water is too cold but the automation is set to 102 (the temp most people like their spa). Set the heater to 104, try to explain that once set the heater should no longer be touched, get paid and get another call.
The Easy touch does not communicate with the heater, it only allows the heater's control circuit to do its job when the automation calls for the heater to light.

Thanks again for you help. I did what you suggested and now I have a related issue I'm hoping you can help with.

Here's what's happening:

I set the heater to 104 in spa mode and then did not touch it again. Through the Screenlogic app, I heated the pool for a few hours. Everything was working as it should, Then I attempted switch over and heat the spa. After I switched the valve to the spa, I tried to turn the heater back on but it gave me an AFS error and made a buzzing noise. Would not work. So I shut it down.

The next day I tried again. I heated the pool for a few hours. Everything worked well. But when I switched over to to the spa and tried to turn the heater on again I got the same AFS error and the same buzzing noise. The heater would not work. I shut it down again.

This time I waited like 3 hours and the tried the other direction. I started with the spa. I heated it and kept it heated for a couple of hours. It worked fine.Then I tried to switch over heat to the pool. But I got the same AFS error (no buzzing noise this time).

It seems like something it causing the system to break down when switching between the pool and the spa. The heater obviously works -I've been able to heat both the pool and the spa. But I can't go back and forth.

Please let me know if you've seen anything like this before.

Thanks!

How old is the heater?

When the heater throws the AFS error do you hear the blower running?

I'm not 100% sure how old the heater is. We have lived here for 4.5 years. My guess would be at least 10 years old and likely more.

When the AFS error appears, the unit just makes that buzzing noise. No blower. When the heater works properly it usually turns on when activated and the blower kicks in about 15-20 seconds later. But when this error happens, it starts buzzing right when it turns on and the blower never kicks in.

The part that's confusing is that the AFS error only happens when switching between locations and it resets after waiting for some time (either a few hours or else overnight). If there were truly an issue with the air flow, wouldn't it be there all the time? Or consistently with one location or the other?

You have a problem with the blower fan failing to start when it is heat soaked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok understood. So I should be able to wait a period of time for it to cool down and then switch from one to the other. I'll give that a shot.

Is this a common issue that you know of? Would the long-term fix be replacing the blower fan or is there some sort of circuit that gets it to start that is unable to function because of the heat?

The heat soaked blower fan not starting is not a common issue. We do see blower fan problems.

The heat problem could be in the fan motor, FENWAL module, or the PCB.

It takes a multimeter and familiarity with wiring diagrams to measure voltages at various points in the heater when the fan should run and does not.