Pentair Filter Cap Blew

As usual, deciphering Pentair warranties is a challenge. This doc makes no mention of warranty transfer. Both this and the link above lead to docs dated 2022.

There is also the matter of State to State. Not all warranty claims and disclaimers are valid in every State. State laws supersede.

It's possible the first link is to some other type of warranty? It's titled "Pro Warranty." Whatever that is. They also refer to "Standard Warranty." I really don't know. As James points out, it's worth a call.

LIMITED WARRANTY

You’ve always been able to count on the quality and long service life of Pentair products.

We use the very best standards of workmanship, materials, and manufacturing processes to deliver value and peace of mind.

Please review this document for details of general warranty terms and conditions and visit

www.pentair.com/warranty for information regarding the coverage duration and any possible warranty exceptions for your specific pool and spa equipment.

Pentair offers:

• LIMITED WARRANTY: Pentair warrants its products to be free from defects in material and/or workmanship for a period of sixty (60) days (parts only) from the original date of purchase and/or installation.

Customer agrees to prepay all shipping charges to Pentair.

• EXTENDED WARRANTY: To receive a product extended warranty (longer than 60 days from the original date of installation), customer must:

1. Register the product;

2. Provide a copy of the sales receipt; and

3. Provide a copy of the installation invoice, provided by the qualified installer, within 60 days of installation (if required).

Certain products do not require qualified installation but still require product registration and copy of the sales receipt to receive the extended warranty.

• TRADEGRADE WARRANTY: TradeGrade products must be purchased from a retail store (brick and mortar), pool builder or pool service company.

If purchased online (via internet) the product will only receive a sixty (60) day limited warranty.

• ECOMMERCE (EC) WARRANTY: Products purchased from an Authorized Pentair Online Reseller receive a one (1) year (parts only) warranty from the date of purchase.

To receive an eCommerce warranty, customer must:

1. Register the product, and

2. Provide a copy of the sales receipt

GENERAL WARRANTY TERMS AND CONDITIONS

DENIAL OF WARRANTY CLAIM

A warranty claim may be denied under the following circumstances:

1. Damage caused by careless handling, improper repackaging, or shipping.

2. Damage due to misapplication, misuse, abuse or failure to operate equipment as specified in the owner’s manual.

3. Damage caused by failure to install products as specified in the owner’s manual.

4. Damage due to unauthorized product modifications or failure to use Pentair original replacement parts.

5. Damage caused by negligence, or failure to properly maintain products as specified in the owner’s manual.

6. Damage caused by failure to maintain water chemistry in conformity with the standards of the swimming pool industry for any length of time.

7. Damage caused by water freezing inside the product.

8. Accidental damage, fire, acts of God, or other circumstances outside the control of Pentair.

PENTAIR WARRANTY OBLIGATIONS

Should a defect in workmanship and/or material in any item covered by this warranty become evident during the term of the warranty, then upon the customer following the procedures set forth below, Pentair will, at its sole option, repair or replace such product or part of equal value, in lieu of repair.

Pentair is not, however, responsible under this warranty for any cost of shipping or transportation of the product or parts thereof to or from the Technical Service Department.

Also, Pentair is not liable for any loss of time, inconvenience, incidental expenses such as telephone calls, labor or material charges incurred in connection with the removal or replacement of the equipment, or any other incidental or consequential damages.

The above mentioned warranties are void if the product is repaired or altered in any way by any persons, agents or representatives other than those authorized by Pentair.

Expendables including, but not limited to refrigerant, recovery of refrigerant, or transportation for components are not covered under this limited warranty.

Reasonable vehicle trip and evaluation charges may be assessed by a Pentair service representative. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

All extended warranties are applicable to the original owner only, beginning on the date of installation and are not enforceable by any third party.

WARRANTIES BY OTHERS

Some Pentair products incorporate components manufactured by other manufacturers. Some of these manufacturers provide warranties in addition to the warranty provided by Pentair herein.

In all such cases, a copy of the third party manufacturer’s warranty will be provided with the product. To the extent protection provided under any such third party warranty exceeds the Limited Warranty provided herein, the Customer will have to contact the specific manufacturer for the additional protection.

NO OTHER WARRANTIES

To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Pentair disclaims all other warranties, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, with regard to the product(s), part(s) and/or any accompanying written materials.

PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING PERFORMANCE

In order to obtain the benefits of this warranty, the consumer who made the original retail purchase must contact the Pentair Technical Service Department as soon as possible after discovery of the product related issue, but in no event later than the expiration date of the respective warranty periods provided herein.

Upon receipt of this communication, Pentair will promptly notify the customer of the address to which the product may be shipped.

The customer shall then ship the product, freight prepaid, to the address indicated, together with a “RETURN GOODS AUTHORIZATION” form obtained from Technical Service and a brief description of the problems encountered.

Unauthorized returns will not be accepted. Freight must be prepaid by customer.

WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS BY OTHERS

No third party has any authority to make any warranties or representation concerning Pentair or its products. Accordingly, Pentair is not responsible for any such warranties or representations.

OTHER RIGHTS

This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.

SOLE WARRANTY

Supersedes all previous warranty publications.

www.pentair.com/warranty

Yep, missed that. Good catch, @JamesW. My eyes might have been glazing over by that paragraph. I've had nothing but good experiences with Pentair warranty service. I've had several items repaired/replaced. But I'm the original owner so that never came up.

Bummer. Oh well. @Tootles, you're on the right track. It'll probably be a simple repair.

PS. Welcome to TFP, by the way. Stick around for the great pool care we teach.

Reactions: JamesW
@JamesW @Dirk Pentair dropped the non-transferrable clause Dec 8th 2022. If it's 2 years (solo equip) or 3 years (combined equip), you're good. Parts are 60-day warranty. Whole equipment is full warranty.

Replacing stickers would be a waste of time - you'd need a legit product to take them from, and then why not just install the new product? As far as this thread, I 100% agree with James that we are missing information. The photo James added to this thread is from the OPs other post from June 2020. Many things have changed since then.

Here are the things I know:
- You have two different lids (at very least) between your post in 2020 and the post in 2023. Unequivocally. Everything on them changed - age, IDs, air relief, gauge.
- The serial # on the lid is for a whole assembly. So the lid was not ordered separately for replacement unless it was robbed from another older unit by your pool service because they broke yours at one point.
HOWEVER:
- Your equipment and plumbing also changed between photos:
  • Your pump is in an entirely new location. Appears to be opposite from where it used to be in reference to the intake and return plumbing
  • Electrical conduit was carflex on ground in 2020, now appears to be rigid metal against house in 2023 coming from the opposite direction
  • Your AC condenser is gone
  • Your 3" feeder is missing, replaced by a salt cell on the slab
  • 2023 photos show a gap between slab and house, that seems to be absent in 2020 photos
  • In your 2023 photos, the filter is 1 year older than the pump. So either the builder sat on old inventory, or it was not installed at the same time.
The question I am itching for an answer to is this: @Tootles can you please confirm this is not the same equipment you posted about in June of 2020?

This is partly what has us confused.

Last edited:
Reactions: 98Poolmaster
@JamesW @Dirk Pentair dropped the non-transferrable clause Dec 8th 2022. If it's 2 years (solo equip) or 3 years (combined equip), you're good. Parts are 60-day warranty. Whole equipment is full warranty.

Replacing stickers would be a waste of time - you'd need a legit product to take them from, and then why not just install the new product? As far as this thread, I 100% agree with James that we are missing information. The photo James added to this thread is from the OPs other post from June 2020. Many things have changed since then.

Here are the things I know:
- You have two different lids (at very least) between your post in 2020 and the post in 2023. Unequivocally. Everything on them changed - age, IDs, air relief, gauge.
- The serial # on the lid is for a whole assembly. So the lid was not ordered separately for replacement unless it was robbed from another older unit by your pool service because they broke yours at one point.
HOWEVER:
- Your equipment and plumbing also changed between photos:
  • Your pump is in an entirely new location. Appears to be opposite from where it used to be in reference to the intake and return plumbing
  • Electrical conduit was carflex on ground in 2020, now appears to be rigid metal against house in 2023 coming from the opposite direction
  • Your AC condenser is gone
  • Your 3" feeder is missing, replaced by a salt cell on the slab
  • 2023 photos show a gap between slab and house, that seems to be absent in 2020 photos
  • In your 2023 photos, the filter is 1 year older than the pump. So either the builder sat on old inventory, or it was not installed at the same time.
The question I am itching for an answer to is this: @Tootles can you please confirm this is not the same equipment you posted about in June of 2020?

This is partly what has us confused.
Have no fear the TFP detectives are on the case!!So glad you took the time and found all those variances,nice job @bradgray.Never to worry on this forum,it’s almost impossible to fool this group with the millions of years experience combined.TFP is awesome!!

Reactions: Dirk and Newdude
Pentair dropped the non-transferrable clause Dec 8th 2022.
I'm confused. Did you mean "dropped" as in "dropped the bomb," like it happened, or "dropped" as in "got rid of?"

Because the line we're referencing: "All extended warranties are applicable to the original owner only..." was found in 2022 documentation.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like he moved.
This is definitely the most plausible. OP said as much (14 months ago).

It's apparently just a bit coincidental how similar the pads looked at first blush, especially given near identical external wear. Desert dwellers like myself are used to equipment looking quite different than this as it ages.

@Tootles if you can confirm this, we can stop the spiral of distrust and chalk the age to harsh florida climate.

I'm confused. Did you mean "dropped" as in "dropped the bomb," like it happened, or "dropped" as in "got rid of?"

Because the line we're referencing: "All extended warranties are applicable to the original owner only..." was found in 2022 documentation.
@Dirk @JamesW The clause was removed. Materials and media weren't updated until 2023 because the change was announced to all partners only 3 weeks before the end of 2022. It was effective immediately, so it's been this way for just over a year.

We are an active Pentair Warranty station and I can unequivocally confirm Pentair Warranties are now transferrable. It was changed specifically to meet consumer expectations. Coverage is based on product install date, inherent warranty period, bundled status, and other qualifiers as before (ecommerce vs tradegrade professional install etc).

Ironically, though, as far as this thread is concerned, warranty doesn't apply. Air reliefs are not covered under warranty. It's a wear part. That said, we often replace them anyway for the satisfaction of the customer, and Pentair puts up with it, usually. They really are exceptional about supporting their products.

Last edited:
@Dirk @JamesW The clause was removed. Materials and media weren't updated until 2023 because the change was announced to all partners only 3 weeks before the end of 2022. It was effective immediately, so it's been this way for just over a year.

We are an active Pentair Warranty station and I can unequivocally confirm Pentair Warranties are now transferrable. It was changed specifically to meet consumer expectations. Coverage is based on product install date, inherent warranty period, bundled status, and other qualifiers as before (ecommerce vs tradegrade professional install etc).

Ironically, though, as far as this thread is concerned, warranty doesn't apply. Air reliefs are not covered under warranty. It's a wear part. That said, we often replace them anyway for the satisfaction of the customer, and Pentair puts up with it, usually. They really are exceptional about supporting their products.
Very clear! Thank you. I have my quibbles with Pentair, but none of them are warranty related.

We are also Pentair warranty the area reps are excellent they rarely don’t honor any reasonable request.Back in the day they used to give us three impellers per size hp and seal plates every six months, FNS tank o rings and filters when the Quad filters first came out,plus 48/ 60 grids and partials,that no longer happens everything has to be by the book now ,I still am a Pentair backer but their costs have gone crazy

I'm with the other guys on this, I think your equipment is older than you've been told. I work at an RV park with lots of pool equipment (in Texas so lots of UV here too) and none of our stuff looks that old. Everything we have was installed 3 1/2 years ago too. Some fading on the stickers but your valves and everything looks like its been in the sun for at least a decade

First, it took some effort but I managed to get the broken piece out and installed the new valve. Filled up the pool, primed the pump and everything is now working 100%.

Second, JamesW added photos from a pool at a rental house I lived in. So please ignore those photos.

Third, I visited several neighbors who saw their equipment installed and face west like me. Their equipment looks pretty old too, even though it is only 3-4 years old. However, based on your recommendations, I do plan to call the builder and Pentair and see what I can find out.

Thanks to all for your help. I truly appreciated it.

Happy Holidays!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.