Pentair Compool LX220 has died

Cooldood

Mar 3, 2016
Folsom, CA
HI,

It looks like my Pentair Compool LX220 has died.

I have a Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo variable speed pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster and 380 sweep, solar panels on the roof.

I first noticed that I could not turn the Polaris booster pump on by moving the manual lever on the clockwork timer. Then I noticed that while the LX220 said solar heating was on, the actuator valve was in the off position.

I got the valve to move by loosening the bolt on top, flicking the toggle switch from ON1 – OFF –ON2 and back to ON1, then a gentle manual assistance and off it went.

I still could not get the booster pump to turn on.

All three green LEDS were on on the LX220 and moving the WATER FLOW TO PANELS switch from AUTO – OFF – ON made no impact.

The voltages for VLV top and middle were 28V AC, but for top and bottom it was only 2V AC.

I sprayed contact cleaner on the WATER FLOW TO PANELS switch, and it disintegrated. The knob fell off and moving it manually moved it too far.

So, what’s my best next option?

• Look for a new circuit board (seems to be $494 on eBay, and am I then going to find the relay is dead?
  • Look for a new/another LX220 (easy replacement, but old hardware/old tech?
  • Find someone to replace the sliding switch?
  • But a newer controller (Pentair Solartouch is mentioned, would that be a good fit?)
Thanks for any thoughts.

John

Depends how much money, time, and effort you want to invest in keeping that old system running.

Is the only thing the system does is control the solar heat? Solartouch only control the solar panels.

Pentair has a Compool to EasyTouch upgrade that may work for you. However Pentair has announced they are obsoleting the EasyTouch system.

Or join the 21st Century with an IntelliCenter.

Last edited:
Hi AJW,

Thanks for the reply.
That Intellicenter looks like a whole lot of complexity that I don't want. I don't have fountains and light shows, or even a built in spa (hot tub is a separate system).

I just want a simple system, running on timers and temperature sensors, I don't need another app on my phone and to be constantly checking things.

The LX220 only controls the valve that directs the water flow to the rooftop panels based on the temperature difference between the sensors in the water flow and on the roof.
It does have a delay built in so that the panels are purged of air before the booster pump can run, which is likely what is causing the problem now in not letting the booster pump run at all.
Is that what the solartouch would do for me, or not?

I just want a simple system, running on timers and temperature sensors, I don't need another app on my phone and to be constantly checking things.

The Solartouch has no timers or scheduling function.

I suggest you review the manual to see if it meets your needs…

It is not clear to me if the Solartouch has the air purge delay you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.