P65 Cancer Warnings on Vinyl Noodles/Floats?

poolboy234

Apr 21, 2022
VA
I was excited to buy a vinyl pool noodle/float on Frontgate, but noticed a loud scary warning on the product's page that it contains products known to cause cancer. I know P65 warnings can be everywhere and most don't worry about it, but I spend a lot of time on my floats in the pool. Does anyone have any expertise on this subject? I was also looking at one on Amazon which has the same warning.

PERSONAL OPINION.

The P65 rating are overwrought, to the point of being meaningless...what is the danger, what is the level of the risk, what specifically is the risk? The rules for a P65 label are so broad as to provide no meaningful basis for evaluation. Get the float that you want and enjoy it.

The risk, in my OPINION, is miniscule.

PERSONAL OPINION.

The Prop 65 warning is useless. Basically if a product contains anything that might be a suspected carcinogen, no matter the concentration, or a material used in the manufacturing process of an item is a suspected carcinogen (note “suspected” , not “proven”), then the label has to be applied. No information on concentration, risk, exposure. Just if it is there regardless of any epidemiological analysis.

COMPLETELY. USELSS. REGULATION.

It was enacted in the hope that if manufacturers were forced to label products that way that it would shame them into finding alternatives that were not suspected carcinogens and that would somehow lower the incidence of cancer rates. Completely flawed reasoning and nothing more than giant regulatory boondoggle.

Ignore it.

Even the Prop 65 stickers have their own tiny little Prop 65 sticker because the stickers might cause cancer.

Look carefully the next time you see a Prop 65 sticker.
But the littler stickers might cause cancer too

Science Fiction Loop GIF by Doze Studio

Reactions: JamesW
Corporations are particularly cautious because most lawsuits are based around the company not warning people of risks.

So, every company that makes any product goes overboard on describing every possible risk or side effect no matter how valid the concern is simply to try to limit their liability.

Every product you buy today comes with 10 pages of fine print describing every possible risk or danger that can possibly happen no matter how ridiculous.

This has created a situation where no one ever reads the fine print because it’s too overwhelming.

Out of 100 possible risks, there might be 1 or 2 that are worth worrying about, but these get buried in 98 other possible risks that should never happen.

Most products now carry the warning label below.

View attachment 453563

View attachment 453564

View attachment 453567

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for noticing and being brave enough to state the obvious on the WWW. We have become the land of good intentions. If the new laws happen to have disastrous unintended consequences there is no timely and appropriate accountability, often the laws are never reversed.
Don't worry, be happy.
Even critical thinking has become an oppressive tool now.
This thread is dangerous and must be closed for our safety. :drown:

• Haha
Reactions: JJ_Tex and JamesW
But what if the five atoms arranged to make a warning label on the seventy-fifth smaller sticker can cause cancer? We can’t make a smaller label without breaking the laws of physics.

I'd nearly agree with you there. But the whole thread started with a pool related product. And we all know that the pool industry is ignoring the laws of physics all the time. I'm sure they'd find a workaround here, too. As long as the profit margin is high enough.

Real dangers are ignored.

For example, the sun is one of the top causes of cancer, but it is not required to have a label.

Haven't you noticed the large warning on the moon during the last eclipse? Or was that just me? Maybe I shouldn't have watched that without those fancy goggles on...

Reactions: JamesW
I was excited to buy a vinyl pool noodle/float on Frontgate, but noticed a loud scary warning on the product's page that it contains products known to cause cancer. I know P65 warnings can be everywhere and most don't worry about it, but I spend a lot of time on my floats in the pool. Does anyone have any expertise on this subject? I was also looking at one on Amazon which has the same warning.
Just don't eat your float and you should be good! :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.