Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
So, my outlet cover isn’t deep enough to allow me to plug in pool pump and close the cover. I’ve been googling to get a deeper one, but then I started thinking (always dangerous). Do I want my outlet cover closed, in steamy, pea soup Florida? Won’t that cause moisture to build up inside with no way to dissipate?

You want the outlet cover closed to protect the outlet and plug from when it rains.

Otherwise you will find you will begin getting GFCI trips.

Humidity is not an issue.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You want the outlet cover closed to protect the outlet and plug from when it rains.

Otherwise you will find you will begin getting GFCI trips.

Humidity is not an issue.
Ok, that’s a relief about humidity. I’m texting my electrician to find out if he can install or at least drop off a deeper cover.

These weatherproof covers aren't watertight seals -- there is some drainage and air movement, especially from the bottom. I wouldn't expect the inside to be any more humid than tha ambient air. Definitely more chance for corrosion and water infiltration without a cover at all than with.

HD and Lowe’s both carry weather rated outdoor outlet boxes like that. The key is sealing the back where it meets the wall - they usually have either some type of foam seal or such on them, and i frequently will caulk it anyway especially on top edge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
^^^^^^^ These ones.

I have either these ones or a very similar one that I got from Home Depot.

I have them here in South Florida and the get rained on plenty. They do just fine.

This is the one I use on my outdoor outlets. It's 2.75" deep, it can be hinged horizontally or vertically, and there's a removable piece that opens a slot for a power cord. Works great, lasts a long time:

TayMac MM420C 1-Gang Nonmetallic Extra Duty Weatherproof In-Use Horizontal/Vertical 16-in-1 Standard Cover, 2.75 in, Clear

View attachment 518248
This is what I have now (just the square with more receptacles). The 2.75” is definitely not deep enough - cord is way too rigid to do a deep bend.

Sealproof 1-Gang Weatherproof In Use Outdoor Outlet Extra Deep Cover​

5-1/4" Deep to allow plenty of room for 12 AWG or heavier cable.

I need a 2 gang cover (square instead of rectangle).

I was thinking the top hinges had to be the same as the one already on the box, didn’t realize other hinge configurations would work?

I need a 2 gang cover (square instead of rectangle).

TayMac MM7440C 4.75-in. Deep Outdoor Box, UFAST 55-in-1, Rated NEMA 3R 2-Gang Weatherproof in-Use Electrical Outlet Cover for Home Improvement, Clear​

Sealproof 2-Gang Extra Deep in Use Outdoor Outlet Cover | Weatherproof, Lockable, UL Extra Duty Compliant, 45 Configurations​

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.