Outlet covers - weird questions

Well, no go on the TayMac order. It’s the box that is extra deep, not the cover, apparently. Also, the hinges did not look like it would work with my box anyway. So, back it goes and I will try the adapter and see if that helps.

Says it is meant for indoor use - makes me a bit nervous.

edit: To heck with it. Ordered. 😂

Last edited:
As long as it’s under the cover and out of the rain it should be ok

If you go to HD or Lowe’s they should have the covers by themselves….. those might be what you are looking for

Try

Sealproof 2-Gang Extra Deep in Use Outdoor Outlet Cover | Weatherproof, Lockable, UL Extra Duty Compliant, 45 Configurations​

Try

Sealproof 2-Gang Extra Deep in Use Outdoor Outlet Cover | Weatherproof, Lockable, UL Extra Duty Compliant, 45 Configurations​

Checked the online answers from other customers, cover is same depth as my current one. I’ll see how the adapter works - if that doesn’t fit, I’ll yell at my electrician!

Thank you all!

If you get desperate, I once solved a similar problem by screwing a spacer (made from a second electrical box with most of its back cut out) onto the front of the box. RTVed around the seam, snapped a deep cover onto the front of the spacer, and it didn't look too terrible.

A sloppy rendering of what I'm talking about:

stacked.png

If you get desperate, I once solved a similar problem by screwing a spacer (made from a second electrical box with most of its back cut out) onto the front of the box. RTVed around the seam, snapped a deep cover onto the front of the spacer, and it didn't look too terrible.

A sloppy rendering of what I'm talking about:

View attachment 518513

That’s genius!

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you - I did order an adapter that should arrive tomorrow. We’ll see how it works! I’m hesitant to replace the plug but I could get some help with that if it becomes necessary.

Ok, so right angle adapter is a no-go. The cord just isn’t flexible enough to allow me to bend it to get box cover closed.

I‘m going to have to replace the plug, or get a longer extension and put the junction of pump cord and extension cord inside a weather proof box.

Sorry, i thought that would work 😢

You have nothing to be sorry for! I appreciate your suggestions! I’m not going to return the adapter since I can certainly use it around the house.

Ordered a 1’ flat plug 12AWG extension and a weatherproof box. Tired of messing around with it!

You're using an extension cord to run your pump? :eek::eek::eek:

Not even using a pump right now. Don’t get me started.

At some point when it isn’t 50 million degrees outside. I may get brave enough to replace the plug so that I can close my outlet cover.

Fingers crossed - I think, after much searching, I found a slightly deeper cover from same manufacturer, even though I had to order the whole box to get the cover.

Kelly,
Fwiw, I don’t fully close/latch my in use cover anymore due to having some thicker plugs in there now. I haven’t ever had it trip the gfci & we’ve had some monsoons. My outlet is maybe a foot from the ground.
I have checked it & it never gets wet inside the cover.
Not saying you should do what I do but just letting you know that even partially closed the cover provides some protection from rain (sort of like a lean to).

Reactions: kellyfair
I’m mainly concerned about when it rains sideways, which happens a lot in summer. I don’t see how it wouldn’t get wet underneath! But that’s good to know!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.