Our green monster! oh no!

maybe this is stupid, but why not just drain and start over? Plus how do you know what was in the water from previous owners if they let it go that bad, and I mean like pesticides, chemicals, etc....as clearly they didn't care about the pool or the water.

Draining and refilling not a great option, it has been a very dry summer here and we are unsure of well and how much water is available to use and still do daily baths and washing clothes etc..would have been easier to drain had we known it wasn't gonna be an easy fix like alot of similar pools on here.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It seems to me that although draining and refilling may seem easier, it often isn't. There are any number of issues you can run into. Liner issues like shrinking and tearing. Popping out of the ground, can be a concern for hard body pools. Your fill water can have any number of issues, especially if you are on a well. Everything from calcium all the way to metals.
For me it was the challenge. With my tiny pool, it would have been nothing to do a few 1/2 drains and fills, to get it close and then SLAM. But seeing how bad it was to start with, black and bubbly, I really wanted the satisfaction of fixing it myself. With help of course... :)
I only wish I would have taken more/better pictures. It would have been inspirational for sure.
The big thing that is stressed with TFPC is knowledge. Sometimes it's worth the effort and tribulation, just for the knowledge gained. Now you have a book worth of information that you can pass on and use to help others.
In the end, it's up to each pool owner to decide how to best answer their pools call for help.

Hi Allmar, glad the floc is showing some improvement, wish it had completely dropped out ;) You gave it a good 24 hrs with pump off, right? Also assuming your keeping the FC up...

I am going to share a link to a thread by a person who got a bad batch of sand from the same mfg. you used this summer so that you can look at the pictures of the sand... because on the off chance the same thing has happened to you, the company may help make it right, per comments in the thread.

Eg. By my calculations you were probably spending in the neighborhood of $12 a day or more on chlorine for 21 days...which is sometimes what it takes, but it's reasonable to hope a clear pool at the end of the process ;)

Slams are always a 2-part process...kill the algae/sanitize the water-- that's the chlorine's job--...and filter to clear...the filter & sand's job in this case. If there's any chance the new sand is exacerbating your efforts, I'm hopeful you could identify and resolve the problem.

Cheers to clear...I promise once you get there, you will love your pool ;)

Links - the TFP poster who documented a bad batch with pctures:
My findings on how not all sand is created equal

This second link shows a few reviews that suggest a few people had problems with this sand clouding their water:Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Quikrete Pool Filter Sand Swimming

Thank you for the info Swampwoman will look into that..we are still vacuuming. We let it settle overnite and got alot more out today however still far from clear.. Should we allow to settle again or try another floc?
5b35faf32d57c673b234ae46a073e7b0.jpg
5bdeebb4ec24056bbfad2c82f0612f5c.jpg
bbc6940c7b1b1a002fc1d1ac62dd491d.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorine is at 9 and ph is about 6.8. Floc said it would drop ph and it sure did.. However showing only trace of barely pink tinge on cc..pool is now off and settling again..was really impressed with how floc worked and the somewhat milky beautiful aqua blue the water is right now.. Do see some more stuff on bottom already..waiting on well to catch back up..

We used the Leslie's Alum and filter aid I'm not home ATM but when I get home I will post pix of container.. We used lower side of dosage because of not knowing exactly what was gonna happen.. I will post that info as well as it really did make a huge difference..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.