Opinions, regrets?

Fae

Aug 22, 2022
Texas
I am going to change my pool to salt water. I have two questions please,

1. By how much did you oversize your swg?

and

2. Any regrests about switching to salt water?

Thanks in advance.

I am going to change my pool to salt water. I have two questions please,

1. By how much did you oversize your swg?
2x (30K pool, 60K cell)
and

2. Any regrests about switching to salt water?

Thanks in advance.
Absolutely no regrets. I'd fill in the pool if you took my SWCG away from me...

Reactions: Newdude
Over 2x. 15k pool, 40k cell.

I will never go back to jug lugging.

over 2x. 15k pool, 40k cell. No regrets. I have always had a SWCG on my pool, and I am glad that in the colder months, my jug lugging is only about 1x per week or less. Doing that for 4-5 months a year is plenty! I always love when water temps get in the 60's so the SCWG will work again!

--Jeff

My only regret is that I have but one life to give to salt water chlorine generation.

I would have gone 3X in a heartbeat if they made residential cells big enough for my 34k gallon pool. I'd strongly consider 4X when possible in a hot climate like yours. The math works more in your favor the larger you go.

For example, going from a 20k unit to 40k doubles the lifespan yet costs about 20% more. Even less if you find one on sale. It's like buying your next 20k unit at 80% off.

Fae,

My pull it out of my rear guess is that out of 100 pool owners that switch to a SWCG, only about 2 switch back.

Most that switch back, just don't understand how to maintain a saltwater pool. Often SWCGs are sold as magic that you install and it will take care of itself. That is just not true.. A SWCG just makes the chlorine that you tell it to make. You still have to routinely test your water quality and adjust things to keep the chemicals levels where they need to be..

I have three saltwater pool that I have had for about 10 years and love them.. Absolutely no issues at all. I just wish that I had gone saltwater sooner.

Thanks,

Jim R.

9k pool, 40k salt cell (iirc the cost difference was close enough i upsized)…so far loving it and looking forward to being able to take a summer vacation in peace…

I have a 40k SWG for a 23000 pool in Ga. No issues and to me the biggest advantage is how the water feels. I have an attached spill over spa and we didn’t use it before because i felt sticky. Not anymore.

Also you can go on vacation and leave the pool alone and not worry about it

1.5x 40,000/27,000 gal. 1.5x is just fine for those further north. I'm in MD and no need for 2x, though no harm either. But Hayward tops out at 40K. Sun Belt/desert = 2x or more.

Not a chance going without it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
4x for me. 9k pool with an IC40. I haven't had it long enough to get the full effect, but just not having to buy chlorine every other week and the peace of mind for me because I travel often is worth it already.

About 4X right now - 16000 gallon pool with a 60k cell (IC-60). My original IC-40 (40k cell, ~2.5X my pool volume) lasted 8 years.

I have never known pool life without an SWG and I find it curious 🧐 to see all these people lugging jugs of salty chlorine water to and from their shopping carts and into their car trunks. I figure it must be some pagan self-flagellation ritual that lesser developed humanoids engage in … I guess injuring one’s back is an act of holiness ??

I am just a little different. I would want a pool regardless of chlorination method. Before I discovered TFP in 2018, my pool in SoCal "was" a tablet pool. After finding TFP, I became a 12.5% chlorine jug lugger. A happy one, No... but jug lugger no less. When I sold that house at the end of 2019 and moved to Las Vegas and built my pool, it was going to be a SWG without a doubt. When the water drops to 55 degrees in mid to late Nov till the beginning of April, I am a jug lugger again. We don't close our pools here in the southwest. 4-1/2 to 5 months a year, I become a jug lugger.

About 4X right now - 16000 gallon pool with a 60k cell (IC-60). My original IC-40 (40k cell, ~2.5X my pool volume) lasted 8 years.

I have never known pool life without an SWG and I find it curious 🧐 to see all these people lugging jugs of salty chlorine water to and from their shopping carts and into their car trunks. I figure it must be some pagan self-flagellation ritual that lesser developed humanoids engage in … I guess injuring one’s back is an act of holiness ??
You forget the thrill of the chase as you go from store to store to find your prey…er…jugs

Absolutely love the SWG - I wouldn't go back. One thing I've discovered, though, is that the mild salt exposure has gradually eaten away the ladder & handrail sockets in our concrete deck. So I'm eventually going to have to replace them somehow. But that's it. I spend very little time on chlorine & chemistry - just enough to monitor and occasionally correct. SWG & TFP go well together!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.