Opening my pool and want to do it real nice this time

Nah. She does this every year. It's like she likes hoodies, but she also likes shorts. She *is* a she and all. :laughblue:

Reactions: monsterman
I brush & stir while adding bleach very slowly like a witch stirring my cauldron.
I do this every time - even when the pump is running.
Thats what i would have to do when the cover is on. Try to get the skimmer rod in there and stir gently. But in reality i think that once i close thats it. I will not worry till the next season as always. And with everyones help it will be up and running nicely. Just think at least this year my chemicals are actually correct so i am definitely ahead of the game

I do not do anything with my pool once it's closed until it is opened in April/May. This year we're closing Oct 27. When I open I have to SLAM for about 5 days, but that's less work for me than going out there in the cold, ice, and snow. I'm not going to shovel 20+ inches of snow off my mesh cover (probably ripping it) to add chlorine.

I actually enjoy playing with the chemicals in the spring. The water is way too cold to swim in anyway, so I'm not losing swim time and it's nice to be outside after the long winter.

So, if you do nothing over the winter, water will be in worse shape when you open, but it won't be irretrievable. the past few years I've used Polyquat-60 and it has made the spring easier.

I'm not going to shovel 20+ inches of snow off my mesh cover (probably ripping it) to add chlorine.
You would do it right before/after the big freeze. Ice has to be left alone to fully thaw with vinyl pools. It can be razor sharp on the edges and slash the liner. (y)

Reactions: Mdragger88
To be clear I don’t mess with the pool when its snow/ice/freezing.
I quickly check it before & after that part of our winter. The fc doesn’t change much during those very cold times. Jan/feb here.
The most of the fc loss is right after closing (nov) & right before opening (march) for me.
I have an above ground pool & don’t use a faceplate cover on my skimmer so its as simple as taking off the skimmer lid & sticking my arm in to get a sample. It gives me peace of mind that I won’t have a surprise swamp. Everyone’s tolerance for that is different I suppose.

Reactions: newdude
Hi people-- let me ask you a totally different question. It seems that I have added water to my pool like twice this past week. I fear I may have developed a leak. The reason I noticed it is because the water level is about 1" below the middle skimmer nut- and the filter makes funny noises since when the water passes through the skimmer door it makes air noises since the water level is that low. How do I check for a liner problem like a rip or a hole- the easiest and best way to find out exactly where it is - if that is the problem? Thanks.

What RLP said 👆🏻
Easy peasy.
Don’t be surprised if you determine its just evaporation. It’s getting chilly & the winds are picking up but the pool is still warm compared to nighttime temps so evaporative heat loss is taking place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you still using the solar cover ?

Without one I lost a bunch of water this week. As soon as the nights got cold, like last night which was 53, then the warm water was evaporating more than it had been. On windy nights it's even worse.

On the plus side, our water temps are dropping now and finally catching up to the calander.

Are you still using the solar cover ?

Without one I lost a bunch of water this week. As soon as the nights got cold, like last night which was 53, then the warm water was evaporating more than it had been. On windy nights it's even worse.

On the plus side, our water temps are dropping now and finally catching up to the calander.
Thank u. I truly hope that is all it is😊😊😊😊😊😊

By the way. I added the muriatic acid at 3 PM just now. And i turned the filter on. Will let it run for about 20 minutes. When can i check the ph next to see if it went down Should I wait a day or so or can i check like in an hour for best result or answer?

No sir i will not. I will keep it at or around 8. And before closing raise to slam. Just one glitch. It is nice and cool
Now about 65. The pool guy cannot make it hereon saturday but can do it about 1 pm or later on Thursday. That is my availability also. I will vacuum early that morning and backwash also. But can i add the chlorine that morning also and leave the filter on until he comes. Or should i still do the slam the Nigjt before or the morning of as mentioned above. Any problems?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.