Opening my pool and want to do it real nice this time

@monsterman I have no experience using poly quat as I have never used it. Just always closed at slam level fc after water temps are in the low 60’s & opened before they creep higher than that in the spring. I always open just as crystal clear as when I closed with fc still being in target range.
In my case it has proven unnecessary to use it so I don’t bother with the added step or expense.
Here’s immediately after removing the cover this year. I took the pic before running the bot.
I did a “soft” opening so I had added water & my pool pump & swcg was running on a reduced schedule for about a week & a half or so before removing the cover but it always looks like this even when I haven’t done it that way & did everything in one day.
IMG_7618.jpeg
The deal with polyquat is that it is just insurance incase of low fc.
I check my fc periodically while closed to ensure I am good to go (we have random heat waves in the south).
I usually check around Christmas & then again in late feb/early march. I have never needed to add any LC in the off season.
Here’s my logs with closing, feb, & march a week before opening. I guess I didn’t record xmas but fc was in the mid 20’s if I recall. My closing cya was 80.
IMG_7619.jpeg
With a solid cover the fc is generally preserved quite well.
Those with mesh covers tend to have issues keeping fc throughout the off season due to dilution & organics making their way in so they often need the added insurance of polyquat especially if they aren’t checking fc periodically throughout the of season.
As mentioned, its use comes with a caveat- it can lower fc & it is also degraded by higher fc levels.
With y’all actually having cool temps for the remainder of fall & throughout the winter your fc will likely not fluctuate as much as mine.

Reactions: newdude
@monsterman I have no experience using poly quat as I have never used it. Just always closed at slam level fc after water temps are in the low 60’s & opened before they creep higher than that in the spring. I always open just as crystal clear as when I closed with fc still being in target range.
In my case it has proven unnecessary to use it so I don’t bother with the added step or expense.
Here’s immediately after removing the cover this year. I took the pic before running the bot.
I did a “soft” opening so I had added water & my pool pump & swcg was running on a reduced schedule for about a week & a half or so before removing the cover but it always looks like this even when I haven’t done it that way & did everything in one day.
View attachment 530076
The deal with polyquat is that it is just insurance incase of low fc.
I check my fc periodically while closed to ensure I am good to go (we have random heat waves in the south).
I usually check around Christmas & then again in late feb/early march. I have never needed to add any LC in the off season.
Here’s my logs with closing, feb, & march a week before opening. I guess I didn’t record xmas but fc was in the mid 20’s if I recall. My closing cya was 80.
View attachment 530079
With a solid cover the fc is generally preserved quite well.
Those with mesh covers tend to have issues keeping fc throughout the off season due to dilution & organics making their way in so they often need the added insurance of polyquat especially if they aren’t checking fc periodically throughout the of season.
As mentioned, its use comes with a caveat- it can lower fc & it is also degraded by higher fc levels.
With y’all actually having cool temps for the remainder of fall & throughout the winter your fc will likely not fluctuate as much as mine.
My FC Full slam level with my CYA will only need to be about 16--- and as recommended I should NOT go above Slam level(even for insurance sake?) But I need to find out how to test my pool once it is closed. It is so tightly cinched around the pool perimeter so that even in the highest of winds the cover stays put. So, I would have a difficult time trying to test the freezing cold water and then if needed to - how to put any bleach in the pool and then how to mix it (as i have always done this year by running the filter. I think since you guys have been so helpful this past year- I will make sure all levels are Ok and bring my pool to Full Slam the night before after brushing ,vacuuming and backwashing and that will be that. As mentioned much earlier my guy never adds anything to the pool and was always OK and clear the next spring. So I think for this first helpful year-I will Full Slam and keep fingers crossed. :)

My FC Full slam level with my CYA will only need to be about 16--- and as recommended I should NOT go above Slam level(even for insurance sake?) But I need to find out how to test my pool once it is closed. It is so tightly cinched around the pool perimeter so that even in the highest of winds the cover stays put. So, I would have a difficult time trying to test the freezing cold water and then if needed to - how to put any bleach in the pool and then how to mix it (as i have always done this year by running the filter. I think since you guys have been so helpful this past year- I will make sure all levels are Ok and bring my pool to Full Slam the night before after brushing ,vacuuming and backwashing and that will be that. As mentioned much earlier my guy never adds anything to the pool and was always OK and clear the next spring. So I think for this first helpful year-I will Full Slam and keep fingers crossed. :)
The little cable is not hard for me to undo & then put back when I am done if I need to do something. I also drain below my skimmer so it isn’t plugged & I can usually just go through there for a sample.
The skimmer shouldn’t be covered by the pool cover. The cable should go above the skimmer not below it.

And you only need to pop a small area of the cover to brush after dosing. . You can reach a surprising amount of liner real estate with just a small opening.

I look for the last night time freeze in the spring and open soon after. If there's a whoopsie cold spell after that, simply run the pump while it's cold again and it'll be fine. Barring any major storms at that time, we likely won't lose power.

Reactions: Mdragger88
To be clear- I don’t remove the cable, just loosen it enough to get the cover over the rail. It won’t fly off or anything. So long as you fold it over it will float on the water.

To be clear- I don’t remove the cable, just loosen it enough to get the cover over the rail. It won’t fly off or anything. So long as you fold it over it will float on the water.
Not to sound ignorant- bu how would I put any bleach in if needed through that small opening- (a straw? LOL) and when you say to brush- what if i put a stick in the pool and just swirl it around thru that small opening? to get the bleach distributed somewhat thru the whole pool- is there any negatives to NOT doing the following
1) Not testing etc and NOT adding any bleach UNTIL opening(which by me is NOT Until last week of May(memorial Day)-lately any type of heat has not been felt until mid JUNE.(and that is only in mid to maybe high 70's???
2) Adding the bleach and NOT mixing it well enough in the pool.

I will ask my pool guy to show me where and how to lossen the cover easily as well

Is this brand of muriatic acid ok. It is called Acid Magic
ACID Magic has many other uses, too! Buffering agents prevent burns to intact skin. Clean and clarify like full strength 20 degree Baume, 31.45 percent, muriatic acid.
They did not have the brand advertised?? But it is the same??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 6
That says its hydrochloric acid.

you want muriatic acid. 31.45.

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid. What isn't known is how much of it is actually in there. I'm betting it's some ultra weak blend (their MSDS states that the amount of HCI is "proprietary"). The manufacturer claims it will "clean, clarify and etch like full strength [...] 31.45% muriatic acid", but manufacturers claim lots of things.

It also contains lactic acid; I'm not sure what effect that would have on pool chemistry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IIRC it's half strength as it's marketed to be the anti- Mutiatic acid, free of fumes.

At this point, there's an easy way to find out. :)

That snipit l attached was a google search saying it’s muriatic acid 31.45%. I typed in what strength is acid magic for muriatic acid and what i sent was the answer my search gave me. What should i do. They dont have the one from the ad i sent earlier. ??

IIRC it's half strength as it's marketed to be the anti- Mutiatic acid, free of fumes.

At this point, there's an easy way to find out. :)
And how do i do that. As mentioned i as a layperson did a search and asked what strength muriatic acid is the product acid magic and it said 31.45%. What should i do. I dont want to mess up my pool Please advise

It's totally fine, and the worst thing that's going to happen is that it doesn't lower your PH by as much as you hoped, requiring more doses. You will have plenty leftover if it needs a 2nd or 3rd dose. Let it mix for 20 mins after adding, test PH, and lower again if necessary.

Use 31% in poolmath and road test it.

It's totally fine, and the worst thing that's going to happen is that it doesn't lower your PH by as much as you hoped, requiring more doses. You will have plenty leftover if it needs a 2nd or 3rd dose. Let it mix for 20 mins after adding, test PH, and lower again if necessary.

Use 31% in poolmath and road test it.
As usual you have calmed my nerves Newdude. I can rest easy now. But can u do me a favor also. Cam u answer the 2 part question I posted above Thank u Thank u and Thank u

what if i put a stick in the pool and just swirl it around thru that small opening?
The chlorine is heavier than water and may puddle up on the bottom so it's best to brush. But again, with a small window open in the cover you can still reach a good amount of the floor.
Not testing etc and NOT adding any bleach UNTIL opening(which by me is NOT Until last week of May(memorial Day)-lately any type of heat has not been felt until mid JUNE.(and that is only in mid to maybe high 70's???
Pay attention to the weather now that you know better. If it's warm early, open early. As you know, it's simple to maintain and it's even simpler in the early season before daily demand spikes. You may get all week on one dose.
Adding the bleach and NOT mixing it well enough in the pool.
You definitely want to mix it. But it's not bad, I promise. :)

The chlorine is heavier than water and may puddle up on the bottom so it's best to brush. But again, with a small window open in the cover you can still reach a good amount of the floor.

Pay attention to the weather now that you know better. If it's warm early, open early. As you know, it's simple to maintain and it's even simpler in the early season before daily demand spikes. You may get all week on one dose.

You definitely want to mix it. But it's not bad, I promise. :)
Ok thank u. Getting closer to closing. This morning it is really cool. By next Saturday should be good to go. I will check results and add accordingly along with all other stuff 👍

It WAS cool this morning. Sunday's range is 50 to 80. 🤦‍♂️ Mother Nature needs to make up her dang mind.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.