Opened this weekend to numerous (self inflicted) issues. Need assistance, please.

tbird2340

Jun 3, 2014
Youngstown, OH
I opened this weekend.. Found I somehow didn't completely drain my filter so the flange cracked and heaved the multiport up.. The white plastic pipe on the lateral assembly cracked.. I sucked all the sand out and pulled out the lateral assembly.. None of the laterals were cracked, just the straight pvc.. Went to Lowes and got a piece of 1 1/2 PVC and a furnco (rubber flexible coupling).. I cut the new PVC and joined the two with the coupling, reinstalled, and filled back up with sand.. Replaced the flange and filled up the pool..

Turned on the pump and addressed some minor leaks.. The water coming into the return looked fine.. However, I was getting some leaking around the flange so I removed it, cleaned off some sand around the rim, and reinstalled.. After that when I turned on the pump the water was brown and cloudy coming out of the return..

So, I backwashed for about 5 minutes until the water was no longer brown.. While backwashing the pressure kept bouncing.. I tried to connect my bug sweeper but when I do that the pressure goes way down (under 5) and I barely any suck..

Any ideas? Thanks for the help..

I opened this weekend.. Found I somehow didn't completely drain my filter so the flange cracked and heaved the multiport up.. The white plastic pipe on the lateral assembly cracked.. I sucked all the sand out and pulled out the lateral assembly.. None of the laterals were cracked, just the straight pvc.. Went to Lowes and got a piece of 1 1/2 PVC and a furnco (rubber flexible coupling).. I cut the new PVC and joined the two with the coupling, reinstalled, and filled back up with sand.. Replaced the flange and filled up the pool..

Turned on the pump and addressed some minor leaks.. The water coming into the return looked fine.. However, I was getting some leaking around the flange so I removed it, cleaned off some sand around the rim, and reinstalled.. After that when I turned on the pump the water was brown and cloudy coming out of the return..

So, I backwashed for about 5 minutes until the water was no longer brown.. While backwashing the pressure kept bouncing.. I tried to connect my bug sweeper but when I do that the pressure goes way down (under 5) and I barely any suck..

Any ideas? Thanks for the help..
Is the rubber joint you used rated for the pressure inside the filter?

Pictures of what cracked and the repair?

Is the rubber joint you used rated for the pressure inside the filter?
That's a great question and one I didn't even think to check.. This is what I got..

Pictures of what cracked and the repair?
I wish I had taken them.. Basically the white pipe cracked at the top, I cut below where the crack was, got a new piece of 1 1/2" from Lowes and did this:

1683653741880.png

I doubt those clamps are holding under the pressure in the filter.

So I replaced the lateral and multi port with brand new parts. Same exact issue. I am getting around 12 psi on high and when I hook up my vacuum it drops to zero and I get barely any suck.

Totally stumped at this point and very frustrated. A lot of work draining this monster sand filter, twice, to have the same exact issue.

This has been one of the most frustrating times of my life, no joke.. All of this is self inflicted which makes it even worse..

I went to open my pool and found I didn't completely drain my sand filter.. It cracked the flange and heaved the multiport valve up.. I drained all the sand to find the plastic pipe of my lateral cracked halfway down..

I decided to try and repair myself and save some money.. Went to Lowes and got a piece of 1 1/2" PVC and a coupling.. Repaired it and filled up the filter back with the sand.. Turned on the pump and had good pressure (around 16).. Go to hook my sweeper up and the pressure drops to 0.. Stumped, I came on here and asked what to do.. Someone mentioned the coupling I used may not be good under pressure.. So, I ordered an entire new lateral assembly.. While I was at it I ordered a new mulitport mount.. Drained all the sand again and replaced both..

Filled it back up.. This time my pressure only showed around 12.. Hook up the sweeper, same thing.. Drops to 0.. So then I start recording a video.. While doing so, I noticed (for the first time, mind you) one of my shutoff valves started leaking..

So my brother who's a plumber replaces the shutoff valve.. So now I have a new shutoff valve, new multiport, new lateral, and still have the same exact issue..

Here's the kicker.. Last year we had numerous leaks, tried to patch numerous times, but ended up getting a new liner right before I closed the pool for the winter ($1,000 installed)..

Before we opened my son was getting all the leaves off the top of the cover with the pole/net.. While doing so he accidentally bent the pole from the weight of the wet leaves.. No big deal, poles are cheap.. We ended up just bending the bent piece of the extension of the pole back and forth until it eventually cracked off.. This comes in later to the story...

While troubleshooting my sweeping pressure issues, I tried originally with my automatic bug. Thinking it may be the bug or the hose I go and get my other hose and my manual sweeper (with broken pole).. I try that, same issue, no pressure.. Well, the next day I noticed my water level was lower.. WTH? Yard also soaked.. So, guess what happened.. The pole that had the broken piece still sticking out the end of it (very sharp) fell into the pool some how and I'm guessing it wripped my liner.. I can't get in to freaking look for the rips/leaks because I can't clean my pool because I have zero pressure!!

I have to keep adding water to my pool so I can keep running my pump or otherwise, the water gets crappy.. I seriously want to just tear the thing down.. I've never been so defeated and I just keep kicking myself because it's all things I did to make this happen..

If anyone can help me figure out why I have no pressure when I connect my hose... I've included a video..

Thank you for taking the time to read / help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This has been one of the most frustrating times of my life, no joke.. All of this is self inflicted which makes it even worse..

I went to open my pool and found I didn't completely drain my sand filter.. It cracked the flange and heaved the multiport valve up.. I drained all the sand to find the plastic pipe of my lateral cracked halfway down..

I decided to try and repair myself and save some money.. Went to Lowes and got a piece of 1 1/2" PVC and a coupling.. Repaired it and filled up the filter back with the sand.. Turned on the pump and had good pressure (around 16).. Go to hook my sweeper up and the pressure drops to 0.. Stumped, I came on here and asked what to do.. Someone mentioned the coupling I used may not be good under pressure.. So, I ordered an entire new lateral assembly.. While I was at it I ordered a new mulitport mount.. Drained all the sand again and replaced both..

Filled it back up.. This time my pressure only showed around 12.. Hook up the sweeper, same thing.. Drops to 0.. So then I start recording a video.. While doing so, I noticed (for the first time, mind you) one of my shutoff valves started leaking..

So my brother who's a plumber replaces the shutoff valve.. So now I have a new shutoff valve, new multiport, new lateral, and still have the same exact issue..

Here's the kicker.. Last year we had numerous leaks, tried to patch numerous times, but ended up getting a new liner right before I closed the pool for the winter ($1,000 installed)..

Before we opened my son was getting all the leaves off the top of the cover with the pole/net.. While doing so he accidentally bent the pole from the weight of the wet leaves.. No big deal, poles are cheap.. We ended up just bending the bent piece of the extension of the pole back and forth until it eventually cracked off.. This comes in later to the story...

While troubleshooting my sweeping pressure issues, I tried originally with my automatic bug. Thinking it may be the bug or the hose I go and get my other hose and my manual sweeper (with broken pole).. I try that, same issue, no pressure.. Well, the next day I noticed my water level was lower.. WTH? Yard also soaked.. So, guess what happened.. The pole that had the broken piece still sticking out the end of it (very sharp) fell into the pool some how and I'm guessing it wripped my liner.. I can't get in to freaking look for the rips/leaks because I can't clean my pool because I have zero pressure!!

I have to keep adding water to my pool so I can keep running my pump or otherwise, the water gets crappy.. I seriously want to just tear the thing down.. I've never been so defeated and I just keep kicking myself because it's all things I did to make this happen..

If anyone can help me figure out why I have no pressure when I connect my hose... I've included a video..

Thank you for taking the time to read / help.

Have you checked that sweeper hose to see if it’s clogged? Sounds like it is.

Thanks for the reply. I tried two different hoses. I also held one end over the return and the other end I didn’t connect to anything. Water came pouring out of it so that tells me it’s not clogged (and I tried two hoses).
If you plug the hose into the skimmer fitting but not on the cleaner is it running ok? Maybe the cleaner is clogged/defective?

If you look in the video, my plumbing is pretty straight forward.. And, I have good pressure when not vacuuming it's just when I try to vacuum.. Yea, it's on filter..

Could the sand in the filter be the issue? Thanks for the replies.
If water is coming out of the returns when the pump is on then it would seem the filter is fine. If the water only stops when you plug the vacuum in, it would seem the only possible problem is the vacuum.

For what it’s worth, pressure is not good or bad. Lower pressure tends to be better. Maybe I don’t understand the real problem?

Ok- you have an above ground pool so for now just vac to waste using the siphon method so you can clear the bottom & patch your liner ASAP.

I noticed your pump basket seems to have alot of bubbles. It’s possible that you have a suction side leak. They tend to show themselves by making the pump lose prime when restriction is introduced.
The easiest & 1st thing to try is lubing the pump basket oring as it’s often the culprit.
2nd, make sure you don’t have a blockage in the pump impeller - with the pump off, remove the pump basket & feel around in there.
If you’ve been running for even a second without the skimmer basket in something could have slipped past. Also pine needles & hair like to get wrapped in there. Frogs also seem to have a way of getting in places they shouldn’t.
Is that a secondary floating skimmer in the video? Are you trying to use it & the vacuum at the same time? How is it connected?

Thanks for the reply.. So I just completely took apart my pump. There was nothing clogged in it. The other thing you see in the video is called a PoolSkim. It just goes right on the return and basically creates a tornado and pulls things in, works great, have had it for years.. What do you put on the oring? Just like vasoline or something?

IMG_2130.jpeg

If water is coming out of the returns when the pump is on then it would seem the filter is fine. If the water only stops when you plug the vacuum in, it would seem the only possible problem is the vacuum.

For what it’s worth, pressure is not good or bad. Lower pressure tends to be better. Maybe I don’t understand the real problem?
But I've tried two hoses and two different vacuums.. Also ran the water through the return, into the hose, and watched it come out freely so the hose appears fine. My pressure drops to 0 and you can hear the pump loses prime.. I get barely any suction at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.