Opened pool, pump is shot. Settled on a VS replacement / upgrade. Thoughts on operating?

summertimesadness

Gold Supporter
Aug 23, 2022
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus

I do have a SWCG and gas heater (run at the beginning and end of the season).

I read on here to find a minimum flow rate for the SWCG, then add a 100. However, the heater will require probably around 2400 to operate.

How do I calculate all this, plus set the pump timer (unless I run 24 hrs?) properly?

I do have a SWCG and gas heater (run at the beginning and end of the season).

I read on here to find a minimum flow rate for the SWCG, then add a 100. However, the heater will require probably around 2400 to operate.

How do I calculate all this, plus set the pump timer (unless I run 24 hrs?) properly?
If the heater requires 2400 RPM, you need to get a larger total horsepower pump or run it at 2400. A pump of 2.7THP, like the TriStar 950 would be a better choice over a 1.65 THP Super Pump for that reason. Those are the choices.

If the heater requires 2400 RPM, you need to get a larger total horsepower pump or run it at 2400. A pump of 2.7THP, like the TriStar 950 would be a better choice over a 1.65 THP Super Pump for that reason. Those are the choices.

The 1.65 won't run it at 2400 or I'll get better efficiency? The heater I would run at various times, not all the time.

I was thinking of setting up the 1.65 where if I need to run the heater, I'll just kick it on to 2400 and when it reaches temp I would reduce it to normal.

The 1.65 won't run it at 2400 or I'll get better efficiency? The heater I would run at various times, not all the time.

I was thinking of setting up the 1.65 where if I need to run the heater, I'll just kick it on to 2400 and when it reaches temp I would reduce it to normal.
IF the heater requires 2400 with a 1.65, it would likely require less from a 2.7 and save energy. Then, for normal filtration you also run it slower than a 1.65 to get the same circulation. That's how they save the most money. Running a VSP at or near its highest speed saves zip.