On my way from Pond to Paradise; finally discovering the TFP way!

Update! I've managed to keep my FC between 4-7 pretty easily, adding liquid chlorine only every other day, testing every day or twice if I add chlorine in order to recheck. pH has remained stable at 7.6 and just checked my CYA yesterday and it remains at 30 with two pucks in my floater (same two pucks since two weeks ago). I lose approx 1-2ppm FC daily with the floaters, which is completely manageable. I am aware of the risks for increased CYA, so I'm keeping my eye on it, but so far it hasn't raised much, if at all. I just ran out of drops for my test kit, luckily I saw that coming and ordered more from TFTestkts the other day and they should be here today! I continue to vacuum/brush every other day and my pool water remains beautiful! :D

I do have one question, however. Since the beginning, I've noticed every couple of days there is build-up of some brown, very very fine dirt that accumulates around the bottom of the pool. It is evenly spaced around the whole bottom, no walls, vacuums up easily, and even dissipates in the water just by walking too close to it. It happens even if there is no one in the pool, so I don't think it's from swimmers. I have felt it, and it doesn't seem slimy, it's gritty, but very fine. I was thinking the particles were too small that it wasn't getting filtered out, and coming back in the pool via the return jet, but it does seem to be getting less and less...have you heard of this? Could this be the silt that was on the bottom of the pond that I originally filled my pool with? I'm now wondering if maybe the stuff I still have is the stuff that "disappears" into the water when I'm vacuuming around it and then settles back out when the water is still? It's just getting annoying....I don't mind vacuuming my pool every other day (it's a good excuse to get in!) and only takes about 20-30 minutes to get it all, but eventually it would be nice to not HAVE to vacuum every other day! ;)

Thanks again for everything!!

Did we ever talk to you about adding DE to your sand? It REALLY helps filter out the fine stuff. Here is a link:

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

If you decide to do this (I LOVE how my water looks when I do it) make sure you can "babysit" it until you find how much DE your filter likes. Start with 1/4 cup and watch the filter for a while. Keep adding it 1/4 cup at a time until the pressure goes up 1 psi.

Now if your pressure SHOOTS up turn off the pump and backwash it out and start over until you find what your filter likes.

You can also put a sock over your return to help catch it that way. Harder to do to me.

:kim:

Well, the "silt" (or whatever it was) has decreased dramatically with continued vacuuming every 2-3 days so I'm happy with that! I vacuumed yesterday, (it had been 4 days) and there was very little that had reaccumulated, so that's good!

I have successfully maintained my FC between 4-7 by raising it up to 7 and testing every day (sometimes twice if it's really hot or my toddlers have been in :eek:), until it is below 5, then raising it back up. I've never been below 4 this whole time, usually adding chlorine every other day :D so I feel like I have gotten into a good maintainence groove, which makes me happy!

Here is my question: I'm still using pucks in my floater. (With the knowledge that I may have to give them up as my CYA raises). They dissolve slowly, I have two at a time in there and am only on number 3 and 4 since I finished my SLAM last month. I like them, as they do seem to cut down on how much and how often I add chlorine, but I don't want them to become an issue. My CYA is still only 30, (tested yesterday), but I'm planning ahead....When should I ditch the pucks? At 40? 50? What's a good number for my CYA? I am in Maine, so "pool season" will only last until next month, and we won't open again until probably May next year. This summer has been very hot, humid and dry, (for us--We are talking upper 80s, close to 90 some days) not typical for a Maine summer...we usually get 2-3 weeks of this very hot, dry weather, but it has lasted most of July and continues. Is it possible that with my short season and typical climate that I could be one of the exceptions to the rule and continue using pucks for seasons to come? I just want to be prepared....I was going to sell some of my unopened buckets of pucks, but now I'm wondering if I should keep them....

Heres a a current pic of the pool....you can barely tell there's water in it when the pump is off, (aside from the shadows and reflections) and I've gotten numerous compliments on how clear it is, so THANK YOU all for that! Last year we battled green water numerous times, but I had NO IDEA what I was doing...I'm very thankful to have found you all and to be able to self-test and maintain my own water! :)image.jpg

Is there even any water in that pool?

I know, right???

I wouldn't go much over 40 for CYA in Maine. Keep in mind the pucks are very acidic also, I hope you are keeping an eye on pH.

OK, that's what I wanted to know. Acidic means they may LOWER pH, right? I've been sitting between 7.6 and 7.8 pretty consistently...actually thinking about adding MA at some point since it seems to creep up to 7.8 when the filter is running longer periods of time and when we use it a lot (aeration effect?) and I don't want it to hit 8.0. I was wondering why one day it is 7.8 and I think I will need to add acid, and the next day it is back to 7.6....maybe it's the pucks?? I will make sure I watch it and I'll remove them when I hit 40 CYA. Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.