On my way from Pond to Paradise; finally discovering the TFP way!

Where to buy Borax?

Where does everyone buy their Borax? I've checked SAMs Club (wholesale club similar to BJs), and Target....just curious where you all get it so I can possibly save myself a couple of stops....In the meantime, I'll continue looking......
Thanks!!

Re: Where to buy Borax?

Let me ask something first though ...

Do you actually need to raise your pH? If not, then no need for borax.

I would guess that 80+% of TFPers never need to raise their pH.

Let me ask something first though ...

Do you actually need to raise your pH? If not, then no need for borax.

I would guess that 80+% of TFPers never need to raise their pH.
I agree. Most pools normally have pH that rises naturally. The one I needed Borax for was a pool that lived on a dies of acidic pucks for a few years with no testing. It was below the bottom of the pH test.

I'm at 7.4....?

- - - Updated - - -

Should I let it rise naturally, then? I had asked in a different thread I have going and no one mentioned this.....
Yes, let it rise naturally. 7.4 pH is not something that needs to be messed with. Don't chase "perfect" numbers, you will find yourself on a roller coaster of up/down numbers.

Here it is! My before/after pictures! Pond to Paradise!! :D

image.jpg

Left upper corner is the pond my husband used to fill the pool - it was nasty. Wish I had a pic of what it looked like in the pool....

Left bottom was about a month worth of dumping random and expensive chemicals in blindly, vacuuming, and 24/7 filtering. This was the point of my frustration and discovering this website!

Right side is now! Crystal clear and beautifully blue! It only took a few days of SLAMMNG before it turned clear blue, and then a few more days of brushing and vacuuming the dead stuff....about 1 week after finding this website I've tested completely clear of alge and ready to enter maintainence phase! THANKS AGAIN, TFP! :sun::swim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Next question: I'm cleaning out my pool box. Previous home owners have 11 jugs of "Calcium Hardness Increaser" in there. I have a vinyl-lined pool. Is there any reason for me to keep ANY of this? From what I've read and understand, the answer is "no"....but I'm just double checking before I try to sell it locally (if that's even allowed). My current CA level is 175. Thanks!

Do you have a heater? That is the only thing that needs calcium in a vinyl pool. Either way...11 jugs is just ridiculous!

No heater. This is how I picture the conversation at the pool store after they had their water tested there...
PS: "your calcium level is low, you should really raise it"
Previous owner: "oh really? What do you recommend?"
PS: "You'll need this Calcium Hardness Increaser. Luckily for you, it's on SALE this week only!! You should consider stocking up, who knows if we will have these sale prices again and I don't want you to have to pay full price."
Previous owner: "OK, I'll take 11!"

;) Hehe

Hey guys, so just an update and a couple questions:

I passed my OCLT on Monday night and have been maintaining since. My pool remains beautifully clear. I brush/vacuum everyday, alternating (brush one day, vaccume the next). I am struggling a bit with finding the "sweet spot" of where I should get my chlorine level to at night so that it falls back to 4 during the day and never goes below 3. My problem is that I'm nervous and keep over-shooting because I am paranoid of falling below that 3ppm mark. Hence, I keep getting my chlorine up to 9-10 at night (because I add the recommended amount and then "just a little more") and it falls to 6-7 over the coarse of the day. Currently I'm at 6.5FC, 0 CC, after a VERY hot and humid day (hot for us, at least). My instincts want me to add more bleach to bring it back up to 8, 9, or 10ppm because I'm worried it will fall too much tomorrow. Can someone just advise where I should be aiming at night when I add bleach so that I can account for my loss and stop worrying so much?? I am aware that getting it up that high each night is not nececcery, I'm just nervous!

Also, you were right about the pH rising on its own (not that I ever doubted you) and I'm currently at 7.6 without doing a single thing, so thank you for that!

Thanks for your input....I'm certain this is just newbie nerves and once I get the hang of my pool and it's patterns, the process will seem easier. I am VERY PARANOID OF FALLING BELOW 3ppm. I don't want to SLAM ever again. Ha!

My most recent full test results for the other tests that you will probably ask me for: pH 7.6 as stated above, TA 90 and CYA 30 (from Wednesday). I currently have a puck in my floater that I thought would help gradually raise CYA and decrease my chlorine loss during the day, but it doesn't really seem to be helping much at this point. Should I just go ahead and add stabilizer and ditch the pucks? I had some on hand that I was hoping to use up....

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Look at this chart. So long as you FC is below your SLAM level for your CYA you are good to swim and enjoy your pool.

I SO understand NOT wanting to go below so avoid having to SLAM again! Keeping a good log of your levels will be one of the best things you can do to learn your pool's needs. I even note the weather for the day-all day sun, big storm, cloudy day, etc.

Play with your level of FC. Only going down about 1/4 cup of chlorine and see what happens the next day. That will allow you to tweak the amount needed a little at a time.

You will not hurt anything doing it the way you are. If it makes you happy and feeling good then stick with it. :hug:

:kim:

I have that chart printed, but just double checked it since you had the link right there and, of course, I misread it. My minimum for 30 CYA is 2, not 3. (When I started, my CYA was 40, so I think the 3 was planted in my brain). I think its just because I'm so new to this that, you're right, it'll take some time. I think I needed some reinforcement, so thanks for your response!! I left it at 6.5 and came to work for the night, I'll be home tomorrow, so I'll monitor it a little more often to see what it does.

And we have been enjoying the heck out of it!! My current levels don't bother in the slightest, I think I'm just using more chlorine than is "needed". I'll get it! I like puzzles and the testing/adjusting/testing/observing pattern is like a big puzzle for me to figure out....and you better believe I WILL figure it out! :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.