Omnilogic showing really high pool temperature!

Vonswoopington

Mar 8, 2024
Southern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello my new pool is all of a sudden showing that the water temp is 120-130 degrees F. The pump seems to be running fine and there are no errors within the panel, app, or SWG. The actual water temp is around 60-65 degrees. I reached out to the PB but its late and they won't respond until tomorrow.

Should I be concerned? Should I just shut everything off just to be safe?

Edit: I'm not 100% sure but it seems like lowering the pump speed makes the temp reading rise (and vice versa) .
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-04 at 10.48.44 PM.jpeg

Thanks,

Last edited:
It is probably a bad water temperature sensor. Nothing to worry about.

Let your builder fix it under warranty.

828 RPM is really low.

Can you confirm that you have actual flow?

What happens if you increase the speed up to about 2,750 RPM?
It hasn't changed the temp. it fluctuates around 129-130.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 11.21.04 AM.jpeg

This is my current schedule. I used an online calculator to make sure i have at least 3 turnovers. The RPMs coincide with cheaper electricity rates. If its wrong, I'm willing to rework it for a better schedule.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 11.21.04 AM(1).jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is actually a bad place for the water temperature sensor as any debris that the pump is sending into the filter hits the sensor and can damage it.

It is better to have the water temperature sensor in the pipe between the filter and the heater so it is getting cleaner filtered water.

1712346848032-png.562551

Typically no, but there have been some quality control issues with many products in the last few years.
not surprised to hear that honestly.
That is actually a bad place for the water temperature sensor as any debris that the pump is sending into the filter hits the sensor and can damage it.

It is better to have the water temperature sensor in the pipe between the filter and the heater so it is getting cleaner filtered water.

1712346848032-png.562551
Thanks I will bring that up with the Hayward tech who will be coming out to look at the sensors. I doubt he will move it but it can't hurt to ask. I would do it myself but then they might complain about warranty coverage, etc.

I'll update the thread when its resolved. Thanks all!

Reactions: JamesW
Today the temp seems to be fine and showing 64 degrees. I didn't touch anything nor did the warranty folks come out. I wonder if its a short when it rains. I might try putting some water on there tomorrow to see if it starts showing inaccurate temps.

Hope so and thanks. It's only been about 2 months since the equipment was installed.
Do these sensors tend to go bad so quickly?
Being installed right after the pump, or even in the line between pump and filter, causes excess wear and damage to those sensors. Saw it more with single-speed pumps, but the prime cycle also has fast, dirty water flowing past the sensor.
You'll get an argument, but I always moved them to the line after the filter with zero issues.

Being installed right after the pump, or even in the line between pump and filter, causes excess wear and damage to those sensors. Saw it more with single-speed pumps, but the prime cycle also has fast, dirty water flowing past the sensor.
You'll get an argument, but I always moved them to the line after the filter with zero issues.
Thank you I'll bring this point up with the PB and Hayward tech.

If there is no water movement, then the water in the pump can get very hot from the impeller churning, but it is most likely a bad sensor.

If it happens again, check the SWG to see it says Flow or No Flow.

The temperature sensor should be moved in any case.

If there is no water movement, then the water in the pump can get very hot from the impeller churning, but it is most likely a bad sensor.

If it happens again, check the SWG to see it says Flow or No Flow.

The temperature sensor should be moved in any case.
That makes sense that the water would heat up but I would hope that the pump is smart enough to shut itself off in that case.

And yes, the first thing I did was check the swg for no flow errors but there weren't any. The returns also were pushing out water throughout the pool.

I also touched the plumbing to see if it felt hot and it didn't.

So far all signs point to a bad sensor but it is odd that, all of a sudden, it is showing the right temperature again.

That makes sense that the water would heat up but I would hope that the pump is smart enough to shut itself off in that case.

The pump is not that smart.

Some motors are temperature protected and will shut themselves down but the volute can overheat from lack of water flow and the motor will run fine. That damages the pump seal and leads to leaks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support