OKC renovation - forty-year facelift

Thanks for the tip about Coolaroo, Readyforapool. I hadn't thought about putting a shade fabric overhead, as the depth of the pergola really won't be such that you can really "sit under" it all too well - the projection may only be about four feet once we figure out how to engineer it. But that got me thinking about how I cling to our little 2' projection of our porch roof when the sun is at some angles, and I do use the shade there so I now think a shade cloth is a great idea. I've been trying to think of something really durable for the outdoor curtains, have thought about making my own, using extra long cloth shower curtains, etc, but thinking that shade fabric might be just the ticket. I'm going to look at some greenhouse sources, too, it looks like the same type of cloth used to shade greenhouses so will shop around a little if I'm just getting the yardage and making my own.

bmoreswim, I went back to your thread and read up on the drainage issue. It's funny how you read something one time but don't really assimilate it until it applies to you and you go back to re-read! Right now, I am leaning toward risking it with the round drains since I think we will need drainage on three sides of the pool - the two sides adjacent to the retaining wall and the side closest to the house - and the channel drains will be very prominent with so many. It sounds like if the round drains do not work, you can bet I'll be directing him to your thread of how to retrofit the channel drain! Previously we didn't have any deck drainage but the whole deck was poured with a very slight slope towards my driveway to channel runoff down the drive (we are up on a slight hill, the house is maybe 3' higher elevation than the street), a plan which worked well once water actually reached drive except for the tendency for the water to not go obediently down the driveway and instead follow the terrain right into my neighbor's side yard. My neighbor had to add a French drain to the side yard because the water was infiltrating his in-slab ductwork. The times we had the pool actually flood was when we had something like 7-14 inches of rain in a matter of less than 24 hours, sometimes even in one evening. Gully washers!

We'll be adding a rain barrel or several to capture our waste water from backwashing the filter, too (another thing that flooded the neighbor's yard). Evidently, the previous owner had the backwash hose directed into the sewer with the manhole lid tilted (ha ha, I had a different CLEAN word there but it got bleeped out) at an unsafe position. It seemed dangerous, was sometimes kinda smelly - and potentially a mosquito bonanza - so we pulled it out and closed the manhole cover up. Later I found out that in my area you are supposed to backwash into the sewer because we are near a creek and they don't want the water to go in the creek. I'd asked my dad, and when he had a pool in the 90s the rule was to run it out to the street so that is what we had been doing, after directing it to our own yard to try to get some use from the water as landscape irrigation - then the runoff from that went into the street. Last year wasn't so bad but we've had some terrible droughts off and on, so, we want to direct the water into rain barrels and use for irrigation. We added rain barrels to our gutters last year and are really excited about them. My next step is going to be adding a small pump to the rain barrels to power my drip irrigation of my ornamental landscaping. I'm not quite ready to use the pool water for my edibles, though.

Brushpup, the pour-a-lid is a contraption that disguises various components in the deck. For our poured concrete deck, we will have the same concrete as our deck has poured in the lid, and it replaces the regular plastic lids you might see in the deck for a skimmer/drain cover. You can use them with pavers and whatnot, too, to keep the deck pattern continuous. The trade off is they will be somewhat heavier than a traditional skimmer lid, as it is filled with a few inches of concrete, but I like how they look and were an upgrade I'd asked for. Let me see if I can link ... http://stetsondevelopment.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=2

yet another thing for me to show the PB that I want. LOL and I thought the wife was bad about spending money.

What's the thing next to the skimmer?

Oh, and Patrick, I have the complete instructions and plans for that pergola if you want me to send them to you. We built it ourselves with the help of a few family members to get the big pieces up and attached. We did a combination of cedar posts and PT wood on top and stained it and I think we spent around $500-$600 total - perfect for our budget! With our new design, we are going to spring for all cedar but still do the majority of the work ourselves. I'll keep track of costs and post back later.

mrcarcrazy, I think they are one of those "looks-more-expensive-than-they-really are" things - google shows they cost between $25-35, but of course they are more labor to actually fill them instead of slapping a plastic lid down. Still, pretty minor in the whole scheme of things!

The white thing next to the skimmer is a skimmer balancer, I'm not sure of the exact name, have heard them called "pucks" or "UFOs." If I look in the TFP pool encyclopedia, it calls it a skimmer/main drain diverter. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/141-visual-encyclopedia-of-pool-equipment

My two skimmers are plumbed into the same line (and probably the main drain, too, but was abandoned at some time in history) and I get strong suction from only the skimmer nearest the pump - if there is any suction from the further skimmer it is so minor I can't even feel it with my hand. I add in the puck to the bottom of the near skimmer and adjust the plastic disk slots to allow some water through, and viola! The far skimmer pulls, too. You can make minor adjustments to it but I never do, I just pop it into the skimmer and make sure it's not totally closed. Sometimes when the pump is off the puck can float up a little and it doesn't settle perfectly when it goes back down and I'll notice the weir door on the far skimmer isn't flapping so know it's not pulling correctly and I have to open the lid to the skimmer and jiggle the puck until it is flush. Cool little gadget that we only figured out we needed only after six months of ownership!

mrcarcrazy, I think they are one of those "looks-more-expensive-than-they-really are" things - google shows they cost between $25-35, but of course they are more labor to actually fill them instead of slapping a plastic lid down. Still, pretty minor in the whole scheme of things!

The white thing next to the skimmer is a skimmer balancer, I'm not sure of the exact name, have heard them called "pucks" or "UFOs." If I look in the TFP pool encyclopedia, it calls it a skimmer/main drain diverter. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/141-visual-encyclopedia-of-pool-equipment

My two skimmers are plumbed into the same line (and probably the main drain, too, but was abandoned at some time in history) and I get strong suction from only the skimmer nearest the pump - if there is any suction from the further skimmer it is so minor I can't even feel it with my hand. I add in the puck to the bottom of the near skimmer and adjust the plastic disk slots to allow some water through, and viola! The far skimmer pulls, too. You can make minor adjustments to it but I never do, I just pop it into the skimmer and make sure it's not totally closed. Sometimes when the pump is off the puck can float up a little and it doesn't settle perfectly when it goes back down and I'll notice the weir door on the far skimmer isn't flapping so know it's not pulling correctly and I have to open the lid to the skimmer and jiggle the puck until it is flush. Cool little gadget that we only figured out we needed only after six months of ownership!

Oh ok, I'm going to need one of those. My Skimmers are plumbed together....or I could make him run 2 lines....**** another thing for the "Ask list".
Thank you for that info.

I really like the look of those pour a lids, and one of my skimmers is in a place where I don't want to look at it all the time, so this will fit the bill nicely. My deck is to be Kooldeck, so will be easy enough for them to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pour-a-lids are great! We love ours. In addition to blending right in, when walked on they feel almost like your deck instead of something you might want to step around. My wife doesn't know how much they weigh because she's never picked them up! I'm the pool boy.

Choose the color that blends in best with your decking because you do see the edges of it. We went with tan and that worked well.

I was just looking at the ten-day forecast (does anyone else do this? I'm seriously considering the month-long forecast even though I know that is totally a shot in the dark - I'm definitely ready for warm temps!) and have my fingers and toes crossed. Next Monday is currently looking like a good chance for our coping pour.

I don't want to litter anyone else's thread but I've been browsing this morning and seeing all the progress and am absolutely green with a raging case of envy. GO AWAY SNOW!

Well, you haven't seen mine moving any further...We are sick of it too!!!

I was just looking at the ten-day forecast (does anyone else do this? I'm seriously considering the month-long forecast even though I know that is totally a shot in the dark - I'm definitely ready for warm temps!) and have my fingers and toes crossed. Next Monday is currently looking like a good chance for our coping pour.

Yea, I did for a while, but we'll just have to wait till spring gets here. Won't be long now though, we are about to make the bend. (I hope :D)

I feel your pain. Mine progresses at the pace of 2hrs of work per week for last 2 weeks...In the whole scheme of things it's okay, as it has given me time to ask more questions about changes I can make. Also gives me more time to save my pennies to pay for said changes.

MiaOKC, I spoke w/ the manufacturer of the pour a lids, I'm def. buying them. I too wonder about the clear lids ability to withstand UV rays. I'm planning to play it safe with gray.

mrcarcrazy, glad I found another thing for you to spend your money on! :) We're helpful like that, ha, ha!

Oh, I would kill for two hours of work a week. I have a spreadsheet I'm keeping to track payments/progress on our project and decided to record a "work journal" there, too. We're on week 12 of an 8 week project, LOL.

I promised to post a few of our sketches for our pergola design - these are the preliminaries my DH made for me in Sketchup. We are doing some more measuring and adding some elements (like the fence right behind the pergola) to make it a little more accurate before ordering our lumber.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.