***Official 2016 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Cooking, Baking thread***

I just cut a huge beef loin strip into 2.5" filets last night. Going to be grilling some of those up soon. My daughter loves them and she get's what she wants when it comes to the grill. I am looking for a good recipe to prepare them as well since I have so many of them I took the narrow end of the loin strip (left the fat on) and cut it into chunks and will mix it with venison for deer chili this coming winter.

4th of July....yeah 'merica!!!! Woohoo!!

Ok, burgers, brats & dogs!! Nuttin' better...

549b912b2cd6d2a36dffe3ca742e48c7.jpg

989b82c5ca1c5187f2b756f7afe040c9.jpg

Grilled Center Cut Loin Pork Chops (boneless) with pineapple-cherry compote

Marinade the chops in a bag in the fridge for 8 hours using the following -

3/4 c Dijon mustard
3/4 c brown sugar
3/8 c pineapple juice
3/8 c Worcestershire sauce

(Reserve half cup of marinade for basting)

Grille the chops on a hot BBQ until medium rare or medium; baste as needed. Make the cherry compote by heating up equal parts cherry fruit spread or jam with half a small can of pineapple chunks. Reduce until thickened.

I paired it with fresh melon and broccoli. Works great with any kind of pork chop.

3/4 c Dijon mustard
3/4 c brown sugar
3/8 c pineapple juice

Grille the chops on a hot BBQ until medium rare or medium; baste as needed. Make the cherry compote by heating up equal parts cherry fruit spread or jam with half a small can of pineapple chunks. Reduce until thickened.

I paired it with fresh melon and broccoli. Works great with any kind of pork chop.

Those look suspiciously good. May have to try. On July 3rd I cooked 3 slabs of "Last Meal Ribs" with "Memphis Dust" courtesy of Meathead Goldwyn's website. Even I could not mess them up. Crowd was pleased. And that's pretty much all that matters. What matters more is that they are better next time (overcooked em a wee bit)

3/4 c Dijon mustard
3/4 c brown sugar
3/8 c pineapple juice

That looks good and light. I have been looking for such a recipe since I found pork loins on sale. I bought 10 of them and cut 5 into boneless chops. I am going to try this. What melon, honeydew?

That looks good and light. I have been looking for such a recipe since I found pork loins on sale. I bought 10 of them and cut 5 into boneless chops. I am going to try this. What melon, honeydew?

Called a "Golden Dew" around here, it's a yellow honeydew melon. Pretty close to a Crenshaw melon.

So, there was a reason why I didn't keep this thread focused on BBQ and grilling alone, I also cook in the kitchen!!!! LoL

I worked in down town Los Angeles for almost 11 years and during that time I met many different ppl from different cultures and also was very fortunate to experience many diverse foods. This particular dish I got to taste early on and developed a "craving" for it at times, so I figured out how to make the dish as I experienced it at restaurants by scouring the net and compiling different recipes to finally come up with my own "version". The 1st couple of times I really wanted to make my own curry sauce, but let me tell you, it's a mix of special ingredients that are not available everywhere, so I was able to find a product that tasted exactly what I was looking for and was easily do-able!!!!

Japanese chicken katsu curry

I usually use bone-less chicken thighs, but I had defrosted some breast meat so that's what I went with this time.

For the chicken katsu I get some panko bread crumbs, white flour, added a little salt and pepper, beat 2 eggs and place each item in it's own dish. For the picture, I had the order wrong, you want to dip the chicken in the flour 1st, egg next then the panko and then right into the frying pan:

So after frying up a couple pieces, I place them in my oven warming drawer at the bottom to stay warm, I also cook about a 1/2 cup of white rice following the packaged instructions (not pictured).

So this is the product I was talking about for the curry, its really like a big chocolate bar as far as the description of the appearance/texture, I purchased this at my local Stater Brothers market so I know this available at almost any market in the "Asian" product section:

Just following directions on the box, I add about 2 tbs of oil to a pan, get it hot and brown up some onion, then add about 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, then I add some pre-cooked sliced carrots from a can:

At this point I take the "blocks" of concentrated curry and put them in the pan to melt and make the sauce:

I had a package of some coleslaw mix that I wanted to use, so I looked up "Japanese cabbage salad" and kind of made a little salad out of it by mixing, light soy sauce, sugar, apple cider vinegar (recipes were calling for rice vinegar, but I didn't have any), ground ginger, black pepper. I actually made that 1st so everything would mix up nice.

So here we are at the plating, LoL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Easy Crock Pot Chicken Chili Verde

This recipe can be made with beef, pork or chicken....The trick for using the crock pot is that you need cuts of meat that are "bone in" so that the meat doesn't dry out.

I love me some chili verde!!!! Especially with the usual accompaniments of Mexican rice and beans, that's some true Mexican comfort food!!! The rice I make home made, but the beans are a canned brand called "Sun Vista" I have and do make home made beans, but they take literally hours to cook, these canned beans are good and work great in any recipe and many Mexican-American families I know use this particular brand. One tip: Do Not buy the "refried beans" version, they tend to be a little dry. Buy the original "pinto beans" can(s) and smash them your self just like mashed potatoes.

In the morning when I left for work I placed 1 breast, 2 legs and 2 thighs that were still frozen in the crock pot, then added about 2 cups of chili verde and about 1 cup of water, set it to low for 9 hours. I use this chili verde, I have also made home made chili verde, but that also does take hours:

When I got home, I removed the chicken and let it drain and kind of cool off so that I can shred the good parts and seperate the pieces I don't want, then I place the good pieces in a pan with new chili verde and use some of the juices from the crock pot as well:

Starting on the rice, I put about 1 tbs of oil (I use E.V.O.O.) in a pan and heat it up, chop some onion and place in pan then about 30 seconds later add fresh garlic:

Then add some un-cooked white rice, I used 1/2 cup this time and brown it for about 2-3 minutes:

Then I add about 1 cup of water, 1 tsp of chicken bouillon, garlic powder, black pepper, some more fresh garlic, chopped onion, and some frozen veggie blend (I grew up with my g-ma making rice with various veggies in the rice), I also add about 1 tsp of tomato paste, ppl usually add tomato sauce, but I find it makes the rice watery:

Bring all of that up to a boil, cover and lower heat to low and cook for about 15-20 minutes:

This entire time I had the beans on low in a pan warming up, once the rice was ready, I grabbed 2 flour tortillas, warmed them up on the stove and then placed them in a baking dish and turned the oven on to low broil. Then I started adding ingredients......rice, beans, the chicken, onion, cilantro and cheese.

Then I folded up the tortilla to make a burrito and topped it with more chili verde, chicken and cheese, then placed it in the oven for about 5 minutes:

Right out the oven!!!!

Split this super wet burrito with the wifee so I cut it in half, then added some sour cream!!!!!

^^^^^^^^ Awesome recipe. Will definitely give it a try (during the cooler weather....cooking indoors, even with a crock pot, sucks during southern Arizona summer...)

I make pork chili verde using a bone-in pork shoulder and, when September rolls around, the Hatch Valley chili peppers (New Mexico chilis) are in full season and every supermarket has their own gas powered roaster going outdoors. You can buy gallon freezer bags of fresh roasted chilis for about $1 a bag and the flavor is so much better than anything you can find in a can. Also, around these parts, it's very easy to find tomatillos all year round so making your own fresh verde sauce is super easy. I like to roast the tomatillos out on the grille a little to give them a bit of a smokey flavor.

How did i not see this thread before....oh man... 2 weeks ago i had the smoker going pool side...well its going to be mid 90s here this weekend so sounds like ill be posting up some pics ...

Please do! And any special recipes or homemade spice mixes are always appreciated.

Anyone ever make smoked mac and cheese? ??? Was at a party last year and someone made it and that was the 1st time i ever had it and it was very good. I made some a couple weeks ago and it turned out very well.
Here os how i did mine.
Made the mac and cheese on the stove then put it in a casserole dish.
I put aluminum foil over the dish and left one end loose so it would get smoke in there but not too much...didnt want to turn the mac and cheese black lol.
When the other items were close to being done i put the mac and cheeze in the smoker for about 1 hr.

6deb491fc36a4266b00c7297053f2bae.jpg
17d4b27ac7e40320c7b4a0347932a709.jpg

Yes, I have. I use velvetta cheese as the base to make it with elbow pasta but I will add some other cheeses to it as well (like pepper jack or Gouda). I also like to add jalapeño.

Try this - crumble up some croutons and sprinkle it on top like a crust. It's AWESOME!!!

You can also use those French's Crispy onion strings on top too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.