***Official 2016 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Cooking, Baking thread***

WA-BAM!!!

Christmas Eve Prime Rib Roast

cab5d72fbb41e6422bcab961d9c9b456.jpg

af2fe904222e18ee15f29b2c8b99f95e.jpg

It just got more pink with each slice. It can only be described by the following phrase -

"Melts in your mouth like buddah'"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a prime rib for Christmas Eve as well. Curious what method and internal temp you cooked that at? I did mine at a low temp (225) and pulled in at 138 IT, I read where some people start at high temp (500 degrees) and then let them finish out at lower temps, curious how you did yours. Looks perfect.

I did a prime rib for Christmas Eve as well. Curious what method and internal temp you cooked that at? I did mine at a low temp (225) and pulled in at 138 IT, I read where some people start at high temp (500 degrees) and then let them finish out at lower temps, curious how you did yours. Looks perfect.

Yes, I do the low & slow method.

225F oven

Roast is trussed with butcher's twine (I do that myself) and seasoned with course salt and pepper. I leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight to create a mild drying effect. I pull the roast out about 2 hours before cooking to let it warm up to room temperature.

While that's warming up I sear some short ribs in my cast iron pot and then sautéed some shallots, carrots & garlic in butter. I use lots of red wine to deglaze the pot between the ribs and the veggies. All of that goes into the bottom of the roasting pan along with a full bottle of red wine, about a cup of beef broth and a cap full of Kitchen Bouquet browning/seasoning liquid. I'll also tie up a packet of fresh rosemary and thyme and throw that into pan.

I then place the rack in the pan and sit the roast on the rack with the fat cap up. Then entire pan goes into the oven and I cook it until the internal temp reaches 135F. Usually takes about 3 hours or so for a 6lbs boneless roast. Add another hour or two if you use a bone-in roast.

I pull the roast, wrap it tight in heavy Al foil and leave it in a warm spot in the kitchen. The short ribs and a scoop or two of the veggies go into a serving dish for those that like ribs. I then strain all the juice and drippings from the pan into a separating measuring cup to extract the au-jus.
I once thickened the au-jus using butter and flour (beurre) but I did not like the way it served, too much like gravy. I much prefer the thinner au-jus.

When the guests are ready to eat, I turn the oven up to 550F and put the roast back in on the rack and cleaned, empty pan (just wipe it clean) to sear it for 10mins. Remove from the oven and slice it up.

If you want to know the science behind it all, this is my go-to guide for all things beef -

The Food Lab's Definitive Guide to Prime Rib | Serious Eats

The Food Lab: How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats

Perfect Prime Rib With Red Wine Jus Recipe | Serious Eats

Yes, I do the low & slow method.

225F oven

Roast is trussed with butcher's twine (I do that myself) and seasoned with course salt and pepper. I leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight to create a mild drying effect. I pull the roast out about 2 hours before cooking to let it warm up to room temperature.

While that's warming up I sear some short ribs in my cast iron pot and then sautéed some shallots, carrots & garlic in butter. I use lots of red wine to deglaze the pot between the ribs and the veggies. All of that goes into the bottom of the roasting pan along with a full bottle of red wine, about a cup of beef broth and a cap full of Kitchen Bouquet browning/seasoning liquid. I'll also tie up a packet of fresh rosemary and thyme and throw that into pan.

I then place the rack in the pan and sit the roast on the rack with the fat cap up. Then entire pan goes into the oven and I cook it until the internal temp reaches 135F. Usually takes about 3 hours or so for a 6lbs boneless roast. Add another hour or two if you use a bone-in roast.

I pull the roast, wrap it tight in heavy Al foil and leave it in a warm spot in the kitchen. The short ribs and a scoop or two of the veggies go into a serving dish for those that like ribs. I then strain all the juice and drippings from the pan into a separating measuring cup to extract the au-jus.
I once thickened the au-jus using butter and flour (beurre) but I did not like the way it served, too much like gravy. I much prefer the thinner au-jus.

When the guests are ready to eat, I turn the oven up to 550F and put the roast back in on the rack and cleaned, empty pan (just wipe it clean) to sear it for 10mins. Remove from the oven and slice it up.

If you want to know the science behind it all, this is my go-to guide for all things beef -

The Food Lab's Definitive Guide to Prime Rib | Serious Eats

The Food Lab: How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats

Perfect Prime Rib With Red Wine Jus Recipe | Serious Eats

Thank you, I enjoy cooking as well. In fact my wife has been after me to stop buying more outdoor equipment, as I have a pizza oven, a big steel keg, a charcoal and a gas grill already, I think I need more. I did do my prime rib in the inside oven, although it was tasty, it does not have the appearance yours turned out. Yours is a thing of beauty. Thanks for the detailed recipe, I will definitely try to emulate it.

Thank you, I enjoy cooking as well. In fact my wife has been after me to stop buying more outdoor equipment, as I have a pizza oven, a big steel keg, a charcoal and a gas grill already, I think I need more. I did do my prime rib in the inside oven, although it was tasty, it does not have the appearance yours turned out. Yours is a thing of beauty. Thanks for the detailed recipe, I will definitely try to emulate it.

I'm all for acquiring as many outdoor cooking toys as possible...I even have a coffee roasting drum for the rotisserie on my BBQ....

Looks great, looking to do a bone in prime aka standing rib roast for the new years dinner:chef:

Depending on your butchering skillz, I would suggest you have the bones removed and then tied back on (either you can do it or a butcher can do it for you at the time of purchase). By cutting the rib bones away from the "eye" of the meat, you make it A LOT easier to carve up - just cut away the trussing and easily separate the bones from the beef. You still get all the flavor of having the bones in contact with the meat but with a lot less hassle when it comes time to serve it...

Just my personal preference....

Depending on your butchering skillz, I would suggest you have the bones removed and then tied back on (either you can do it or a butcher can do it for you at the time of purchase). By cutting the rib bones away from the "eye" of the meat, you make it A LOT easier to carve up - just cut away the trussing and easily separate the bones from the beef. You still get all the flavor of having the bones in contact with the meat but with a lot less hassle when it comes time to serve it...

Just my personal preference....
I prefer the bone in, done this on many occasion, once cooked to perfection the carving is simple, steak it between the bones, nothing better than gnawing on the bone once you're done THEN the dog can have it :D oh by the way I picked up a 16 pounder from Bashas this evening, had the butcher cut it in half for me.

Well, I was this | | close to making a prime rib roast, but once I started reading recipe's and seeing videos on how they were all prepped like Joyful's photo's (medium) I knew it would have been a waste of money for us because the wifey and daughter like steaks well done and my 5 y/o son wouldnt even look at beef/steak!!!! LoL So, bone-in chuck roast it was!!!!! Did about a 4.5lb roast in the oven at 250° for about 6 hours w/ roasted asparagus with real mashed potatoes and gravy. I started taking pics, but with football on and a few "adult beverages" I kind of forget to continue taking pics...LoL

Seasonings for the roast:

Braising the roast a few minutes on each side:

A packet of Lipton onion mushroom mix on the bottom of the roast and then 1 packet on top:

ANNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:

Well, I was this | | close to making a prime rib roast, but once I started reading recipe's and seeing videos on how they were all prepped like Joyful's photo's (medium) I knew it would have been a waste of money for us because the wifey and daughter like steaks well done and my 5 y/o son wouldnt even look at beef/steak!!!! .....

Easy-peasy to fix that ... you still cook the prime rib rare/med-rare and slice it up. Then, for those that like their steaks more well done (my parents are that way), you simply take their slice and sear it in a pan (I like to use cast iron for that) until you get their steak done to their liking. You can always cook a steak more, you can't "un-cook" it.

As for 5 year olds...I have a 4 year old that won't eat anything put in front of him the first time. So he's often dismissed from the table and informed that his plate of food will be put on the counter top when he's ready to eat. He is also told that once dinner ends and the plates are all cleared and cleaned, he will no longer be allowed to eat his dinner and the "kitchen is close". When he comes asking for something to eat (typically cookies or junk food of some kind) a few minutes later, he is politely informed that he can have all of those things as soon as he finishes his dinner. He typically shouts and storms off in a huff....then he returns about 10mins later and grudgingly eats his dinner. He learned early on that he will be put to bed with an empty stomach if he pushes the limit...he suffered that consequence twice and he has never done it again. It definitely led to lots of screaming and crying and a really long night the first time around with him going to bed hungry but it was effective. He's still no angel when it comes to eating but he knows not to mess with his dinner time.

Sorry for the "parenting advice" and feel free to ignore it...we suffered through my two older boys giving us eating problems at dinner time before my wife and I finally wised up on the third child. That advice above was given to us by an elderly couple at our church - their advice to us was something along the lines that an empty stomach will motivate any child to change their habits....

True, i could of went that route, but was kind of more eager to go the chuck roast route :)

Yes!! Great advice, my son primarily eats chicken nuggets (big bag of Tyson nuggets from Costco), jelly sandwiches (he's allergic to peanuts), pizza or cereal, so at dinner time, I list these options for him and he's usually good at picking one or two!!!! And he eats and is aware of eating dinner 1st, then sweets. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
... Great advice, my son primarily eats chicken nuggets (big bag of Tyson nuggets from Costco), jelly sandwiches (he's allergic to peanuts), pizza or cereal...

I think all children belong to an online forum called "Trouble-Full Kids" where they discuss new and unique ways to torture their parents....the mods on that forum are these evil little munchkins that snack on Cheetos and Mountain-Dew all day long and giggle with glee at the arrival of each new member...

If I had a nickel for every chicken nugget I've ever cooked....I'd be rich!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.