Numbers ok but water has a hint of cloudiness

water is crystal clear, you can for sure read heads or tails.

I have had .5 CC or less throughout the whole process.

I am gonna check it again at lunch and see where my levels are, probably gonna add a few more gallons of bleach just to pump the numbers up a little.

On brushing the lights, jets, etc, do you unscrew the jets/lights and brush behind them or just brush the outside of them. Should I see some discolorations around the units?

Stuff hides behind them that you can NOT get to with just brushing on the outside, or see from the outside, so most people do remove them, clean the backsides of them, and then put them back in. You may not see any discolorations around the units because you've been brushing well in those areas, but if you have an issue behind them they will feel slimy, so as Pooldv said "scrub out any sliminess". I hope this helps.

Keep up with the SLAM. Even though the sun isn't shinning there is some UV exposure on the pool and I would expect the pool to lose FC during the day. When the FC is higher you will lose more ppm of FC as compared to when the FC is in a normal range.

Bless your heart, I'm feeling your pain. Stupid algae is just being stubborn in there. Just keep brushing, vacuuming, and searching for hidden algae, and keep bumping that FC level back up to your Slam/Shock level.

Like I mentioned in comment #7, you may not be running high enough FC levels to keep ahead of it, and might want to consider bumping up to the recommended 31ppm to see if you can't get it the heck gone already.

If the levels you are running aren't high enough even, if you are just 1ppm below what it is required to kill it, it won't work. Yes doubling the target may work for some depending on how much is in there, etc. but may not work for the next person.

So I still think raising the level to the full 31ppm, would be in your best interest at this point, so you aren't just needlessly dumping a lot of bleach in, yet it still isn't enough to do the job, so you end up making little to no progress, and backsliding.

Other than suggesting/doing those things, there's not much more you can do that you aren't already doing, or haven't already done. It won't be killed out until the FC numbers are high enough to kill it out. But I know you WILL eventually get it completely cleared out in there, I have faith in you, but it may taking raising the FC level higher to get it completed. :).

I don't understand the OP's hesitation to raise FC to recommended shock level. There is a reason that level was established, and it is because it works.

Kill the algae, stop dancing with it. If you are concerned about the amount of chlorine needed, what you are doing now could just be a waste of bleach.

It's your pool, do as you wish. If it were my pool, I'd be at 31ppm.

Dom

Ok I'm getting lined up to raise the level to 31 this afternoon and maintain that and see what happens.

I have never taken a jet cover off or light cover (l.e.d.) off before, I am guessing that taking the few screws out of the face is what I want to do and brush behind that well. This doesn't compromise the seal in any way does it?

Before doing anything to the light make sure all the power is cut off to the pool because we kind of like you around here, and don't want you to get bit by the electricity. You are correct that the screws on the face should allow the front plate to come off so you can look, and clean real good behind it. You shouldn't have any leaking issues as long as you put it back together the same way it came out, and you don't tear the gasket. Sometimes you have to use a flat head screw driver to pry it out of the socket, and if you have to do that, just be gentle and careful not to tear the gasket prying it out.

Ok I'm getting lined up to raise the level to 31 this afternoon and maintain that and see what happens.

I have never taken a jet cover off or light cover (l.e.d.) off before, I am guessing that taking the few screws out of the face is what I want to do and brush behind that well. This doesn't compromise the seal in any way does it?

There should be one screw at 12 oclock. Remove the screw and tip the light out. There is a tab at the bottom. What you are removing is the sealed light capsule from the niche. The capsule will float so hold on to it. There should be enough wire coiled up behind it to move the light capsule to the deck.

I'm not sure about removing the return eyeballs, not sure if there might be algae there. Seems like the water flow wouldn't allow that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lol, thanks man. I have been in the electrical distribution utility (public utility)business for 30 years, I thank you for the reminder of tripping breaker.

Can't ever have too many reminders when it comes to safety because we are all human, can forget important things when our minds are on other things, and make mistakes. Someone getting electrocuted while removing a pool light is one mistake if I can prevent anyone from making I certainly will. :)

Update:

I learned to not ever remove the faceplate of a jet. Long story short, I took the first one off and could not get it screwed back in so water got behind the liner. Finally got one screw back in and just screwed the eyeball back in and hopefully I can get someone to come fix it so I can get my water chemistry back right. Wasn't a good night for me.

Update:

I learned to not ever remove the faceplate of a jet. Long story short, I took the first one off and could not get it screwed back in so water got behind the liner. Finally got one screw back in and just screwed the eyeball back in and hopefully I can get someone to come fix it so I can get my water chemistry back right. Wasn't a good night for me.
Man, that stinks, hopefully you'll get that sorted soon.

You should still keep up on FC, you'll need to mix manually, but that's a good excuse to brush!

Dom

Oh No!!! I'm so sorry to hear this. Mine unscrews from the inside, and I just unscrew it, remove the eye, and clean behind it no problem.
Do you have shut offs on your lines, if so shut that one down if you haven't already.

If you can find someway of isolating the water from around that area you should be able to get it back into place fairly quickly and easily. (It will take 2 people). Perhaps pressing a cooler, or tote against the bottom of the wall part of the item under the water, and part of it above the water line over top of the return area, should slow down, and help prevent any additional water from leaking behind the liner while you are able to get your faceplate repositioned, and screwed back on properly. Here is a Youtube video of something similar based on the same concept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKWlVFf0UKg

I read somewhere that some people do remove, and replace all their faceplates underwater, and claim the water loss behind the liner is minimum in the short time it takes to do it so hopefully the water going back there appeared to be more than it actually was. (Keeping my fingers crossed). Depending on how much water went behind the liner it should dry up, and evaporate fairly quickly over time. Again I am so sorry this happened to you. Hopefully these things will help to get it put back together correctly without any further issues. Have a nice day.

Pool pro came and fixed jet cover. Now when I get home I am gonna start adding bleach to get the FC up to 31. It is gonna rain all night tonight and be clear for the next couple of days. Should I wait till tomorrow to start the SLAM

I'm glad to hear you got it fixed, and can now run your pump. Again I'm sorry to hear that it happened.

You've been basically slamming already just at lower numbers. I wouldn't wait till tomorrow, I'd just add the bleach to raise to the 31ppm, run your pump as much as you can, and if it starts lightening you might have to shut the pump off, but otherwise I'd go ahead, and add it so it can be in there working on killing the algae. Maybe at least you can get the chlorine good and mixed up before it hits, and what the pump can't mix around, the rain will :).

I'm right at 220 miles North/East of you, and we had a fairly nasty storm here about an hour ago, but it's clear here now. They are calling for more here tonight too though.

Hopefully you can pass the OCLT soon. You've been working hard at it. Keeping my fingers crossed for you :). Keep us posted on how things are going. Have a wonderful night.

I know you guys are tired of hearing about my problems but I really appreciate the help. Ever since the pool guy put the jet cover back on I have been pumping water from behind the liner morning and night. The pump does not run at night. I cannot make myself start the SLAM process until the water has stopped getting behind the liner. Do you think I am doing right or should I start it. It is suppose to rain today and tomorrow. My biggest problem is I am going on a bike trip this Thursday for 10 days and Wong be home, but wife will. I need to get this fixed once and for all. I feel like I am wasting bleach but have to add a few jugs daily. What to do?

We are not tired of hearing your problems that's why we are here. If you have an issue and need help do not hesitate to ask. :)

1st about How much water are you losing? Are you having to add a lot of water?

I asked that question once myself about If the eye is adjusted too far back can it cause water to get behind the liner because I Thought that's what was happening with mine and an adjustment solved my issue. Most of the responses to my question were, I don't think so.

But try this to see if it fixes the issue. Go to the pool, turn off the pump, and look at your eye on the jet return and see if it can be adjusted outward where the bottom of it is Not sitting back as far because I'm thinking that may actually be what's happened is he didn't adjust it properly. (I had to use a screw driver to apply upward pressure on mine because my hands weren't strong enough to physically move it by hand.

If that is Not the issue hopefully there is no leak, but if you are getting water behind there when the pump isn't running that's possible too.

If adjusting doesn't fix it I'd have him come back out and tell him to fix it correctly. Depending on how much water your losing it might be best to wait till this issue is resolved to increase any higher but YES do continue to add chlorine daily at the current rate so you don't lose much ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.