Cartersville, Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Since I've been frequently complaining about my pool and having endless issues since I bought this house 18 months ago, we finally decided to do a major renovation and rebuild everything.
As such, I decided to catalog the journey here as I enjoyed following other people's stories.

While technically ground broke 2 weeks ago, we had a lot of major rain issues that caused a week delay. We are on day 4 of active work, and I will provide catch up pictures!
Proving Imgur link as I can't actually upload due to size it says

We'll be going with a fiberglass pool, extending the decking a bit.

Happy to answer any questions! Pool arrives on the 6th, so they have a heavy focus on catching up the framing now.

Do you already have your own test kit?
I do have my old TF-100 but I assume I'll need to re-buy since it's over a year old at this point. We're still ~3-4 weeks away from project completion/pool is being used. They're building a manifold to test pressure tomorrow, and something with a bar and concrete. Then coping, decking, etc.

Here is today's image - nothing drastically diff; slowly leveling out gravel and attached jets/skimmer.

Like you I had my older TF100 for build #2, and seeing how I needed to replace the supplies anyway, I used it as an excuse to get a TFpro-salt. I appreciated the Pro *every * last * time * I used it. The organization was SO nice to not have to hunt and pick for bottles and then put them back a couple times until they all fit somewhere. I had my salt kit and smart stir in the TF100 box so it was tight.

All of the test bottles were grouped together and not just stuffed wherever they fit. I cannot reccomend it enough.

Where do you store your test kit?
It was inside of the shed outside I keep chemicals in, now is inside of my workshop. Both protected from direct heat, but not really climate controlled.

You will want to have the tests ready as soon as you have water in the pool to be on the safe side.
Even during the build out? Or just once the equipment is hooked up and pump is going?

I did ask the builder if they plan to empty the water and refill it once it's level as the water is currently quite dirty with debris.

EDIT: Also seems I was wrong, I didn't have T-100.
I had Taylor Service Complete Pool Water Test Kit K-2006C - I had to double check since @Newdude's comment sounded exactly like what mine was but looking it up was visually different.

The 2006C is in a blue plastic case, organized. The TF100 is a flat clear tackle box like thingie.

The 2006C uses the good (Taylor) drops but has way too much TA and CH that you test monthly once you get a feel for things. Both TF kits swap those extras for more FC tests you'll do frequently. They were designed around how we TFP and are better matches for the same money.

The TF100 is in the same price bracket as the K2006 (no C). The TF100 has 2.7X the supplies and is a no brainer in this bracket.

The TF pro is the same price as the K2006*C* in bracket 2.

The TFpro includes a $44 stirrer (you WANT one) and a much nicer / organized case. It is a no brainer in the higher bracket. Guaranteed fresh, fast responses from the owner to make things right if need be (things happen or shipping issues behind their control), stirring device, better supplies and nice case.

Either TF kit can be purchased in salt models which add the $30 salt kit for only a $20 upcharge, making them even better deals.

Either TF kit can be purchased with SLAM options which doubles the FC tests. A great buy for newbs or swamps as both will be testing FC more at first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The 2006C is in a blue plastic case, organized. The TF100 is a flat clear tackle box like thingie.

The 2006C uses the good (Taylor) drops but has way too much TA and CH that you test monthly once you get a feel for things. Both TF kits swap those extras for more FC tests you'll do frequently. They were designed around how we TFP and are better matches for the same money.

The TF100 is in the same price bracket as the K2006 (no C). The TF100 has 2.7X the supplies and is a no brainer in this bracket.

The TF pro is the same price as the K2006*C* in bracket 2.

The TFpro includes a $44 stirrer (you WANT one) and a much nicer / organized case. It is a no brainer in the higher bracket. Guaranteed fresh, fast responses from the owner to make things right if need be (things happen or shipping issues behind their control), stirring device, better supplies and nice case.

Either TF kit can be purchased in salt models which add the $30 salt kit for only a $20 upcharge, making them even better deals.

Either TF kit can be purchased with SLAM options which doubles the FC tests. A great buy for newbs or swamps as both will be testing FC more at first.
Oh wow, thanks for the details. When I rebuy (I am just going to re-buy when it's time) I'll go for the TF Pro. I am curious about the stirrer.

I'll go for the TF Pro
Get the TFpro -salt which saves another $10 as a bundle. If you're totally comfortable with TFPC, you can skip the SLAM option. If you're still kinda learning, the SLAM option is good to have the extras.
I am curious about the stirrer.
Nobody understands it until they have one, then they can't imagine not having one. It's a game changer and the best $44 you can spend on your pool IMO.

I used to go on how great it was but it was too cliche. Now I just tell folks to go try to take somebody's away and let that be your guide. Protip: be prepared to fight dirty. You won't get one easy. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Hootz
Few day update - I've broken down the image "days" into days visual work was done, not project sequential. We've had pretty bad weather so sometimes progress is halted. We also took one day to drain the water and tile the stairs (I regret this because nothing is hiding the grout on the top and it looks a bit ugly. No pic of it ATM).

Today they're painting the back wall (Too expensive to replace), tearing down the front, and potentially starting on decking. I suspect not much movement this weekend due to holidays, and potential rain.

Reactions: kimkats
I assure you that no one else will notice the grout when there is water in the pool!
<3 Appreciate that; we're not focusing on it anymore now that it's coming together. When it was "just the pool" it was all so much more noticable.

Which; today we had some big changes, with small changes.
We got the rear wall painted (Knight's Armor Permacreate - I love the name), which has just completely breathed new life into it. As a reminder of the (to us) ugly color it was before, you can use the half demo'd retaining wall.
And started laying the decking. Our contractors are extremely precise for the most part and is turning out nice.

I feel for them due to the curve and lack of smoothness in the wall - two tiles they did insanely precise cuts, to actually go around the contures of the bricks. There is of course a small 'gap' between the wall and the pavers which I suspect they fill with sand.

Now that we're seeing it all come to life, it's looking amazing.

They suspect to be done in 2 weeks - I'm assuming 3 but either way, super excited for it. Will definitely be too cold for the pool, but using the spa + firepit will be very nice.

A ton was done yesterday - Here is the progress from that day.

Thinking we'll be done maybe the first full week of March. Right now it's tons of pavers, and then working on the retaining wall (boulders).

For the steps - the first one is going to be completely covered with pavers, and the boulder wall will 'meet' the side of the second one. We weren't really happy with how far they come out into the walkway, but we're seeing the vision now. We do plan on pavering our back deck as well, so it'll match and not be as noticable. We're also bringing the sidewalk in ~1 ft into the small gardens to still keep it 4'.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support