Noobie chemistry question

That is indicative of needing a SLAM, yes.

I will again strongly suggest that you follow PoolMath's recommendation for how much water to drain, to bring your CYA down to around 30. The savings in the amount of bleach you will use should more than pay for the water to refill before the SLAM.

It would not hurt. There is something eating your bleach. It should be a short SLAM.

Where are you getting your chlorine from? I get mine from ACE Hardware as they are just up the road BUT Pinch a Penny is slightly cheaper. The time/gas makes it even out in the long run.

Kim

It would not hurt. There is something eating your bleach. It should be a short SLAM.

Where are you getting your chlorine from? I get mine from ACE Hardware as they are just up the road BUT Pinch a Penny is slightly cheaper. The time/gas makes it even out in the long run.

Kim

I use p a p , but ace is only 1 mile away from so I'll consider them next time. The water looked great this morning and we didi go swimming. I'll start the slam this evening.

Thanks

That is indicative of needing a SLAM, yes.

I will again strongly suggest that you follow PoolMath's recommendation for how much water to drain, to bring your CYA down to around 30. The savings in the amount of bleach you will use should more than pay for the water to refill before the SLAM.

Thanks for the advice.

To get 50 cya I need to remove 17%, to get 40 cya I need to remove 33%. My pool has a shallow and deep end and the deep end is an uneven shape, the sides slope. So if the shallow end drops from 3' to 2', can I assume I've drained 1/3?

Btw it's raining again so the slam is on hold...

Confused now..according to the pool math, one gallon of 10.5% chlorine should have bumped me up to 5 ppm. I added the gallon and waited at least two hours with the pump running on high speed. The drop test showed 11 ppm. Do need to wait more than one hour after adding chlorine to test?

I just looked at what was remaining in the jug from last night. Instead of adding one gallon I added 1.5 gallons. The jug is 2.5 gal and I goofed...

Thanks for the advice.

To get 50 cya I need to remove 17%, to get 40 cya I need to remove 33%. My pool has a shallow and deep end and the deep end is an uneven shape, the sides slope. So if the shallow end drops from 3' to 2', can I assume I've drained 1/3?

Figure out the average depth of your pool, i.e. (shallow end + deep end) divided by 2.

Take 1/3 of the result.

That's how far down you need to drain, and you can measure it anywhere.

Last edited:
thanks for the tip.

one picky question though...how do you get 20oz from two cups?

By not paying attention to details! OPPPPPPPPPPPS! I never really looked at my "pool cup". When I saw your post I went and looked at it. It is 2 1/2 cups duhhhhhhhhhhhhh NOT 2 cups :( Good call on your part.

Kim who hangs head for not really looking/thinking before sharing info. LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
By not paying attention to details! OPPPPPPPPPPPS! I never really looked at my "pool cup". When I saw your post I went and looked at it. It is 2 1/2 cups duhhhhhhhhhhhhh NOT 2 cups :( Good call on your part.

Kim who hangs head for not really looking/thinking before sharing info. LOL

I wasn't sure if you had a special "cup" marked at 10 oz., or if it was a typo or powdered chlorine or what, just thought I'd bring it to your attention. ;)

Today at 6:30am my F.C. was 7ppm, at 8:30 pm it was 5ppm. My pool is on the south side of the house and gets direct sunlight basically all day this time of year. I'm going to check the fc in the morning one more time to verify if something is eating the chlorine.

Could be. Right now while you are learning your pool it does not hurt to test and test again later to see what happens to your pool when...... it rains, it is cloudy, there are lots of swimmers, when what ever happens .

Yesterday I decided to drain some water. I drained ~22% out, I didn't want to drain much more, since the liner is new and I didn't want to cause a problem. Anyway, I almost got the pool filled back up by this morning. I let the garden hose run all night but only with the valve half open so it didn't completely fill. At a water level of 4" below normal the CYA was 50. That 4" equals about 1600 gallons of water according to my "calculations" so I guess it'll drop some more. The FC dropped to 3ppm so I turned on the pump and added enough liquid chlorine to bump it up to 7ppm(didn't remeasure FC, had to go to work). It's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow so free water :reckon: ! Once the water level is back up I'm going to SLAM it. Thats all for now...

Last edited:
Got the pool full after work yesterday and the cya is between 40 and 50. Last night I was getting a consistent 40 when i measured , but this morning I tried a few times and got varying results. Light reflecting off the water in the black dot beaker is the problem. My plan last night was to add enough chlorine to bring it up to shock level of 16, after I added the liquid chlorine, i went to bed :) . The FC this morning was 18, so according to the cya chart that is shock level for a 40-50 reading. The water is clear, no algae. I'll do the overnight FC test today/tomorrow and go from there.

So yesterday the FC went from 18 to 9ppm during the day. My pool gets a lot of sunlight during the day, so from what I've read on this forum that burn rate is normal. I got the FC back up to 18ppm and it was still 18ppm this morning. The water is very clear and the C.C. has been zero since the beginning so I'm gonna call it good. By the way I tested the cya again and got a consistent 40.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.