Noisy chlorinator

Thanks James W for the reply, but my chlorinator does not look like the one on the video. There is no check valve. Just a 2 inch in and a 2 inch out, plus the dial with settings from one to ten. Google CL200 and you will see my chlorinator. Thanks, Mike

I have a Hayward CL200 chlorinator. It sound like there are air bubbles inside. There are no external leaks. It is fine with me, but it bothers the wife. Any suggestions ??
Do you run your pump 24/7? If not, the best thing to do would be to remove the chlorinator, or at the very least not put tablets in it. They can cause a lot of damage to a residential pool, besides adding a large amount of CYA to the water. They were designed for commercial applications, but, at least in many jurisdictions in my state, are no longer legal just because of that CYA rise.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
1poolman1, I only run the filter about 6 hours a day. I see there is a lot of disfavor on this site, about chlorinators but I have been using one for about 18 years. I have gotten high CYA readings from the one place I get the water tested, but never really paid much attention to it. I guess after I use up the rest of the chlorine tablets I should just use liquid chlorine in the future as most recommend here. Thanks. Mike

1poolman1, I only run the filter about 6 hours a day. I see there is a lot of disfavor on this site, about chlorinators but I have been using one for about 18 years. I have gotten high CYA readings from the one place I get the water tested, but never really paid much attention to it. I guess after I use up the rest of the chlorine tablets I should just use liquid chlorine in the future as most recommend here. Thanks. Mike
You've been very fortunate using a tab feeder that long, especially if it is the only source of chlorine in a vinyl pool.
Those chlorinators only add a small amount of chlorine and only with the pump running. For you that leaves 18 hr/day when nothing is being added. It also allows time for the highly-corrosive "soup" that remains in the canister when the system is off to flow backwards into the pool equipment, typically the heater as it is usually the last item before a tab feeder. Sadly, for customers, I've made a good living repairing/replacing pool heaters damaged by those things. Won't do a heater repair or install if a customer insists on keeping them in the system. Let someone else make that mistake. If you want to use tablets as an auxiliary source of chlorine (I do, personal choice), it is best if they are in a floating chlorinator so that some is added 24/7. Don't put them in the skimmer, either, despite them being marketed at times as "skimmer tablets." Same issues.

Funny you mention heaters. I replaced mine twice already. The first one lasted about 12 years which is pretty good I guess, but the second one only lasted about 3 years. Both were Hayward propane heaters. Then I got a bit smarter, and re-piped everything with valves, so I can bypass the heater. I thought it was foolish to run those chemicals through the heater when it is only used about 5 percent of the time if that. Soo, I guess I need to look for a large floating chlorinator and only use the in line chlorinator when needed. It looks like I can turn the chlorinator down to zero which just about shuts off any water from going through the tablets. Thanks again for all your suggestions, Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Soo, I guess I need to look for a large floating chlorinator and only use the in line chlorinator when needed.
I would seriously consider a salt water chlorine generator. Very simple device that makes pool care even easier.

If not, I recommend the puck floaters shaped like a duck. Very fun! 😂

Reactions: 1poolman1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.