No/low chlorine with this cheap amazon/chinese SWG (Pomeade EC16)

Gilligan8

Nov 30, 2023
South Louisiana
This unit is for 20,000 gallons and I have an 11,000 gallon pool.

Installed this about a month ago and all was going well. I had low levels of chlorine, put it on boost for a few days and then the level started coming up. I eventually started just running it on it's highest setting (5 leds) then it kept staying high, so I started backing it down as well as only running it 8 hours a day.

Now I feel like pretty suddenly we are now showing no chlorine (with Clorox strips... I know I should have a good test kit but money is super tight right now).

I've been "boosting" it for the full 8 hour cycles that I've been running it for the past 3 days and still doesn't seem to be budging. I also don't have a salinity checker but we originally were not salt water and I added 7 (maybe 8) bags of salt to the pool. So my salinity should be "ok".

Here is a video of it running on boost with the cloud after the cell, which I assume is a fair indicator that I should be generating chlorine.

Any advice (other than, check salinity (I'm trying to borrow one) and get a better tester, get a "proper" SWG LOL)?

G,

I don't think the problem is the SWCG, cheap or not.. The problem is you... :mrgreen:

You are lost and have no clue where you are.. Instead of finding a navigation system, or a map, your basic idea is to just keep driving around, hoping you'll find your way home.

Without knowing your CYA level, your target FC, and your actual salt level, there is not much we can do to help.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim is right. It's certainly possible the Chinesium cell is junk. But without any way to actually test your water, we have no prescription or advice since we don't know what's actually going on.

Believe me when I say I understand what it's like to have money be tight. But you're going to spend more money running around in circles and flying blind vs. what a good test kit costs.

In the end you will spend more trying to fix this issue blind and then you’ll finally buy a test kit (maybe). Totally your choice. If you do get one, reach out with your test results and TFP will help.
Test Kits Compared

+4. Your algae is consuming more FC than you can produce.

To clear it, and maintain sanitary levels going forward, you need reliable data. It is what it is. Keep us posted. :)

Reactions: Gilligan8
+4. Your algae is consuming more FC than you can produce.

To clear it, and maintain sanitary levels going forward, you need reliable data. It is what it is. Keep us posted. :)
Thanks for the further explanation, that helps make a lot more sense to my brain.

The "Stabelizer" part of the clorox test strips show about 100 but it's a very odd "faded" looking version of the color that indicates that level. It used to feel it was stronger before.

Would bringing a water sample to a pool company to test be better than the strips?

Would bringing a water sample to a pool company to test be better than the strips?
I would take a big swig and swish it all around like a hoit-y toit-y wine tasting. My pinky would be all up in the air and everything. Then I'd spit it out and decree it was 73.

I'd probably be closer than the other 2. Just sayin. 😁

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support