No algae but no chlorine reading. TC=0.31 ph=7.4 Alk=107 Calc=145 CA=101 Iron=0.1 Copper=0 Phos=4000

Overnight Chlorine Lost Test. Details are below, but chlorine is only used up by the sun, and algae/bacteria. With the OCLT you taking out the sun factor by testing after sundown and before sunup, so that you can see exactly how much chlorine is being used up by the algae/bacteria in your pool. If you lost more that 1 FC from sundown to sunup, we typically recommend a SLAM to kill the nasty stuff in your pool.

Edit - Newdude beat me to it.

Link. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

TLDR: The sun or organics (algae, swimmer residuals, etc) consume your FC daily. By running a FC test in the late evening, and again first thing in the morning, you remove the sun from the equation and the FC should remain in the pool during that span with nothing growing.
ahh ok. i think im gonna drain some more water and add fresh and im thinking 3-4 gallons 12% tonight thats about 15ppm for a 15000 gallon pool?

My pool math when configured for you says just under 2 gals of 12% and 2.25 jugs of 10% for 15 ppm.

my advice to you is do some reading this weekend. You've been around long enough to know (or at least should know) that most of what you're doing doesn't / won't work. You can't mix and match instructions from different sources and hope to come out with an agreeable result. It just won't work. Pull that device out now that you referred to in your opening statement, get a recommended test kit asap and KNOW what your numbers are and take control of your pool. It really is that simple. OR, as Marty mentioned earlier, do it your way. And in that case, good luck... Not trying to be mean, but my interpretation of your posts are that you don't really care.

Reactions: ChelleSte
Do not get Chlorox brand as they have additives you do not want in your pool. Around here Walmart is the best place to get 10% liquid chlorine.

My pool math when configured for you says just under 2 gals of 12% and 2.25 jugs of 10% for 15 ppm.
was that for a CYA reading of 100? i just took the CYA reading myself and it matches leslies. I do have 2 gallons of 12% on hand. I had wanted to get more but when i called they said they were out of stock on not getting any until wednesday. Is Chlorox really bad? its 7.5% i got it from Costco. I was desperate in case im unable to get 12% from pool store. Its hard to get some consumables these days so i bought 3 cases from costco thats 9 gallons just to have on hand if i ever get to the point where i can maintain my TC. If what you say is true than later when sun goes down i will apply the two gallons of 12%. Ph is 7.4 TA is 100.

was that for a CYA reading of 100?
CYA level does not matter for adding FC ppm. It will always be X added for Y result.

A higher CYA will bind more FC, so you will have to maintain a higher level to remain safe / sterile, but that’s a different discussion. :)
Is Chlorox really bad
Usually, Yes. Check the bottle for any manufacturer speak for additives (polymers) that may foam and cause cloudiness.

my advice to you is do some reading this weekend. You've been around long enough to know (or at least should know) that most of what you're doing doesn't / won't work. You can't mix and match instructions from different sources and hope to come out with an agreeable result. It just won't work. Pull that device out now that you referred to in your opening statement, get a recommended test kit asap and KNOW what your numbers are and take control of your pool. It really is that simple. OR, as Marty mentioned earlier, do it your way. And in that case, good luck... Not trying to be mean, but my interpretation of your posts are that you don't really care.
its not that i dont care ive had this pool for 15 years. I have a new liner and i dont want to destroy it. I do have a test kit its got all the reagents in it, its always registered to what leslies tests come out to be. So whenever i may think one reagent has gone bad i go bring the water to them. Im no sucker for all the hype of chemicals they try to sell me. I dont buy the whole Phos free and calcium pool perfect blah blah. I use baking soda and borax but i was a user of the tablets bc of convenience. When i got my new liner i had looked into and asked around how ppl felt about the Nature 2 cartridges and got alot of positive feedback and wanted to have a more subdued chemical approach. I spent $80 on the cartridge and for quite some time it worked great. Unfortunately i messed up and i added conditioner(CYA) like 4/5 pounds in beginning of season and used tablets to keep chlorine at a recommended 0.5. So of course where i went wrong was the buildup of CYA now has me in a pickle. We live in NY our summers are short and we drain our pools below skimmer for winterization. Most times when we open pool the CYA is at zero so we start back from the beginning. Lesson learned no more pucks. I will use sodium hypo to chlorinate and only tabs if or when i am away for a few days. Right now i need to get this pool somehwere managable. I trust that the CYA is 100. Based on that if i can get it down to 50 id be happy. in meantime how the heck do i get some chlorine in the pool to avoid algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA level does not matter for adding FC ppm. It will always be X added for Y result.

A higher CYA will bind more FC, so you will have to maintain a higher level to remain safe / sterile, but that’s a different discussion. :)

Usually, Yes. Check the bottle for any manufacturer speak for additives (polymers) that may foam and cause cloudiness.
i didnt see anything funky. It does say on box u can use for pools. It yields 7.17% available chlorine. Active ingredient is Sodium hypo

Then add away @ 7%. :)
i did read some of your other posts and looked further at the chlorox i just bought and although its chlorox it does say chloromax technologies. wth is that? i dont see other additives bc they dont list them all it says is 7+% sod hypo. Now what do i do. i just lugged all those gallons from costco. Grrrr.

Here is a thread on the chloromax. It is supposed to be a polymer, and chlorox said not to use it in you pool. I think the biggest concern is that it will make your pool foamy/bubbly.

Reactions: Newdude
The good news is that Costco will take it back unlike the pool store. Yes it’s a hassle but it’s worth your $60 (?) to have it.

You didn’t know. It’s ok. Now you are here and can use us and the collective knowledge. Get pool essentials liquid shock From Walmart or HDX chlorinating liquid at Home Depot. Both are in the pool aisle in the outdoor (or outdoor-ish) garden area.

Reactions: rosey19
Here is a thread on the chloromax. It is supposed to be a polymer, and chlorox said not to use it in you pool. I think the biggest concern is that it will make your pool foamy/bubbly.

yea i returned it. im gonna start water exchange. get rid of some of this CYA

Reactions: Newdude
The good news is that Costco will take it back unlike the pool store. Yes it’s a hassle but it’s worth your $60 (?) to have it.

You didn’t know. It’s ok. Now you are here and can use us and the collective knowledge. Get pool essentials liquid shock From Walmart or HDX chlorinating liquid at Home Depot. Both are in the pool aisle in the outdoor (or outdoor-ish) garden area.
yep already went and returned it. Now im gonna start draining some water. I cant do this all at once. its not good for liner so baby steps and im going to have to see what happens. does it suck yes.

I cant do this all at once. its not good for liner
With warm weather the liner will be fine. You can drain to 1ft so the remaining water keeps the corners tight. Maybe drain down to 18 inches to be totally on the safe side. Our water is dirt cheap here and we are very fortunate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.