Nice to find a huge dataset of pool knowledge.

RDBear

May 31, 2023
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hey!
I bought a house in Texas near Ft Hood.
The house came with a stained, green and awkwardly shaped (and oddly built) pool.

I guess it’s a kidney…
It’s all new to me so any tips on how to identify all the gear is helpful.
I know I have a Hayward Aqua Logic controller with a Hayward GLX-LOCAL-P-4 AquaLogic keypad and a Hayward TurboCell pro T-cell-15.

As for the pump, filter and heater I’ll need to check tomorrow. I was told it’s a sand filter but they replaced the content with “glass”.

Current issues..
I opened it last year by shocking, cleaning, skimming and scrubbing the pool. After some testing I added about 240lbs of salt to bring it up to 3200ppm. I added a 40lb bag later in the season to bring it back up to 3200ppm after it dropped (party and heater going).
I never closed the pool thinking Texas never gets that cold…big mistake. The pool is set to protect itself by running the filter, heater and aerator/spa bubbles if the outside temp drops below 35ish.
I wised up and lower the heater max temp to 70 (I believe), basically to keep it from running 24/7 and using electricity and natural gas.
When it was time to swim the panel showed 2800ppm and the pool had been running and filtering all winter…
I threw in some shock then salt the next day and went back to the skimming and cleaning I had followed the end of last year.
Salt showed 3100 after 160lbs of salt, the numbers looked right and Memorial Day was the first big event (including running the heater to bring the temp up since it was rainy and cold the weeks prior.
After the party the pool was cloudy, not green, just…milky. Checked salt, 1800ppm.
I added salt, 160lbs but the pool turned green.
Water testing showed the salt at 1900ppm. I backwashed the filter, shocked, cleaned, scrubbed etc etc…I added 120lbs of salt and 3000ppm.
I guess the salinity tester I ordered will give a real answer, but I’m also thinking the salt was a wash based on the amount of chlorine needed for the party and the heater running for hours.
The question is, what’s a normal amount of salt should be added to normalize after shocking fir season opening?

The surface inside the pool has staining (rust, some black marks etc) scrubbing doesn’t help at all.
Is there a way to fix this with draining/painting/going broke?

The pool and spa are the same height with a spillover. Last year it was normal for them to be under the spillway but the same height whether the filter was on or off. After the winter, the spa drops 4ish inches when the filter is on.
Why?

The main waterfall works fine, there’s four smaller “dribblers”, there’s a diminishing amount of water from the furthest from the main waterfall to the closest which doesn’t work at all.
Best way to troubleshoot?

The entire plumbing system is like something out of Dr. Seuss. There’s no two parallel lines, even the cement base is off by like 15 to 20 degrees…enough to be overtly visible just by glancing.
How insane is it to re-run all the plumbing to clean it up and make it…symmetrical?
How much more insane is it to consider removing it all and starting with a fresh cement pad?

Attachments

• IMG_6867.jpeg
    IMG_6867.jpeg
    871.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6429.jpeg
    IMG_6429.jpeg
    633.2 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to TFP.

Lets start with your salt.

Salt is not consumed by the SWG. Salt is only lost by draining water, leaks, or splashout. It sounds like you are adding way too much salt and are being lead astray by the Aqualogic salt display which is not a measurement of your actual salt level.

You need a good test kit. Get the TFP Pro Salt kit from Test Kits

Read the following..

Your staining may be from metals. Put a paste of crushed vitamin C in a sock and rub it on the stains and see what happens…

Welcome. There is a lot to unpackage in your post, so I prioritized the pointers below:

Top Priorities:
- Educate yourself about the pool and water chemistry using the links Allen provided
- Order/verify you have a quality test kit so you can test your own water. See my signature for the preferred test kit if you need a new one.

Next Priorities:
- Tackle any algae/cloudiness issues, likely by using the SLAM method (which you will read about above)
- Balance your water chemistry per TFP recommendations (not pool store recommendations, not friends/family, etc.)

Lower Priorities:
- It sounds like you may have some metal staining going on. Generally these are cosmetic, and caused by adding non-recommended chemicals. Regardless we can help you tackle these issues.
- Analyze your "winterization" strategy. It sounds like your heater ran all winter. Typically the heater is not involved in the freeze protection. Generally freeze protection just involves running the pump(s) constantly and cycling through the pool/spa modes to keep those pipes free from ice. That is what most people in Texas will do, including those of us in Dallas who get more of a winter than the rest of the state. Note, you still need an "oh crud" plan in case you lose power/equipment in a hard freeze so you can drain your equipment like is done in northern climates.
- Tackle any equipment pad concerns. It looks to me like maybe sloppy plumbing or possibly the ground shifted some. Assuming no leaks or anything of that nature, those off center pipes should just be cosmetic. You can tackle if you want to...or totally fine if you leave it be.

Welcome to TFP.

Lets start with your salt.

Salt is not consumed by the SWG. Salt is only lost by draining water, leaks, or splashout. It sounds like you are adding way too much salt and are being lead astray by the Aqualogic salt display which is not a measurement of your actual salt level.

You need a good test kit. Get the TFP Pro Salt kit from Test Kits

Read the following..

Your staining may be from metals. Put a paste of crushed vitamin C in a sock and rub it on the stains and see what happens…

Excellent....thank you for all the references....
As for the stains....lowest on my list of concerns....It appears the pool was left untended for a long period of time.
There's an array of different stains....some appear to be a low water line....basically like the wall is rusty/dirty.
In other areas it appear trash was in the water when it was low....bobby pins (distinct defined stain), coins maybe....lot's of round penny sized stains randomly assorted. Last is the black marks/streaks....
I'll try the suggestions from you (and others).

Welcome. There is a lot to unpackage in your post, so I prioritized the pointers below:
Sorry....I was so happy to find a massive group of people with great advice and no BS.
Top Priorities:
- Educate yourself about the pool and water chemistry using the links Allen provided
- Order/verify you have a quality test kit so you can test your own water. See my signature for the preferred test kit if you need a new one.
Yup...in progress right now (lots of reading).
Next Priorities:
- Tackle any algae/cloudiness issues, likely by using the SLAM method (which you will read about above)
- Balance your water chemistry per TFP recommendations (not pool store recommendations, not friends/family, etc.)
Can't trust any of the random advice I've been given from pool stores, pool pros, pool bros.
Lower Priorities:
- It sounds like you may have some metal staining going on. Generally these are cosmetic, and caused by adding non-recommended chemicals. Regardless we can help you tackle these issues.
Tracking Allen's links, I'll be posting updates after I get through the major list
- Analyze your "winterization" strategy. It sounds like your heater ran all winter. Typically the heater is not involved in the freeze protection. Generally freeze protection just involves running the pump(s) constantly and cycling through the pool/spa modes to keep those pipes free from ice. That is what most people in Texas will do, including those of us in Dallas who get more of a winter than the rest of the state. Note, you still need an "oh crud" plan in case you lose power/equipment in a hard freeze so you can drain your equipment like is done in northern climates.
I'm hoping this is some setting in the horrible documentation I was able to scrape up for the controller. It wasn't a choice, it was automagically turning itself on randomly.
- Tackle any equipment pad concerns. It looks to me like maybe sloppy plumbing or possibly the ground shifted some. Assuming no leaks or anything of that nature, those off center pipes should just be cosmetic. You can tackle if you want to...or totally fine if you leave it be.
For now, I've patched leaks, replaced stripped connections, fixed some low voltage issues which are common to the Aqua Logic....the rest is definitely a much larger scale issue. This was just Crud work...the angle of the pad, the randomness of the plumbing angles, the dump pipe going to a pile of rocks in the yard....
The jacuzzi and pool are both connected to the heater....one feed, so if you want to heat the spa, you have to heat the whole pool.
The skimmers are too low to function unless the water level is insanely low.

Did I mention the pool light doesn't work LOL

Your pool is a beautiful shape
#peanuttribe represent!

Get the preferred test kits and see what's what. Your salt inputs seem unusual.
#PeanutTribe
Test kits getting ordered...
This place is like a glass of my favorite whiskey in my new favorite local bar.

Just for fun…a way premature update.
I bought a digital meter for the pool (no yelling, I bought it before I found this place!)
pH is 8.4
Salt at the surface, filter off is 1380

I promise, I’m ordering the test kit!

Here’s some stain pictures….
The Bobby pin is #1….a little blurry. Underwater it’s clearly the shadow of a bobby pin.

Getting vitamin c tomorrow for some tests when the weather allows.

Attachments

• IMG_9352.jpeg
    IMG_9352.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9353.jpeg
    IMG_9353.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9355.jpeg
    IMG_9355.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9356.jpeg
    IMG_9356.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9357.jpeg
    IMG_9357.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9358.jpeg
    IMG_9358.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9359.jpeg
    IMG_9359.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 6
While the stains are only cosmetic, iron stains can be removed fairly easily.

It sounds a bit crazy but you can use vitamin c crushed up in a sock, then set the sock on top of the stain for a few minutes. It worked great for me when I had a rebar tie land in my pool and I couldn't really see it and the vacuum wouldn't pick it up until I started seeing rust spots by my drain.
I even found powdered vitamin C at Sprouts that was a few bucks more but no crushing of pills. It lifted the stain right off and haven't seen any since.

Here is the link, under Iron stains if you want more info:

Edit - Nevermind, I see you already have the vitamin C. Good job on the reading up... I need to take some reading lessons myself :)

Last edited:
Salt at the surface, filter off is 1380

Never test the water with the filter off. Pool water stratifies into layers when still. Such tests are meaningless and will lead you astray.

Always circulate the water for a few hours before testing.

pH of 8.4 is not a big problem. Just lower it down with MA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.