Newbie question, how often do you test FC, TA, CC, CYA, pH?

oh Hi Mark

May 17, 2023
Good day!

I imagine myself testing FC, CC, CYA, TA, CH, pH every turnover to test if its within safe standards, BUT this will consume the test kit chemicals at a fast rate.
My question is, how often do you test these parameters?

I really have no idea how will I maintain these parameters without using a test kit, or do you know any digital testers?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Mark and welcome to TFP. That is a good question.

For the new person to a pool the first thing to do is get a good test kit. Which test kit do you have? Test Kits Compared

Next thing that impacts the testing frequency is how does the water look. Take and share a pic of your water so we can see what you are working with.

A new person should test their water every day for the main components like FC, pH, TA as these are the ones that can change faster. The other like CYA and CH does not change without removing or adding water. Pool Care Basics

Once you learn your pool you will not have to test as much. After a while you will be able to just look at your water and know what is going on with it. CRAZY right???

Kim :kim:

Here’s a basic guide that outlines pretty much everything Kim said
👇

Here’s all the important basics in one easy link
👇
Pool Care Basics

To add to what Kim said after a couple years you will also learn what your water should look like. I have a Salt water Generator so don’t test as often but watch the color and clarity.
Last week it looked different and I found out I left the pool heater on.

Reactions: oh Hi Mark
During the swimming season, I test chlorine and pH once a week, have a SWG.
All others once a month. Have never added the Pool Store's recommended weekly Shock; its just not needed with well balanced water chemistry.
I have a crystal clear Trouble Free Pool. thanks to this forum.

every turnover
Mark,

The idea that you have to turnover your pool water x times a day is just an old myth and not really true. Chemicals keep your pool clear, sanitized and algae free, not the number of times your water goes through the filter. The filter is just there to capture the junk that falls into your pool each day. By the time the filter captures any algae, it it too late, you have already lost the algae war.

When new, you should test every day or so.. Soon you will get a feel for how your pool works, and then test about once a week.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The first few months I had my pool I checked FC every day. pH every few days. After I while I was able to guess what it would need without checking. Dropped down to testing every other day or every 3 days.

Since I installed the SWCG a couple of weeks ago, I've been testing almost every day until I get things dialed in. The temperature has been fluctuating, so I've wanted to stay on top of things. I expect ones the temps stabilize, it will be back to testing once every few days. Still checking pH every few days.

The other tests - salt, CYA, CH, and TA - get tested once every couple of weeks or if I have a reason to believe I need to. I've only checked CCs a couple of times; I generally don't have a reason to.

Edit: I read your question entirely wrong and I apologize lol. Anyways, I use my TF-100 test kit daily to test FC, CC, and pH. Everything else is 1-2x a week with the exception of CYA and calcium hardness (my pool is vinyl so I’ll only test it once in a blue moon or if I’m super bored). I only test CYA once or twice a month after I get it where I want it. I do not have a SWG so I’m of no help there. Make sure you get a Speed Stir, also!! I don’t know how I survived water testing without that thing lol

Last edited:
When I started, I tested FC/CC/PH every other day so I could learn how much things changed and the rest every 2 weeks. I did this for every season so I could continue to monitor throughout summer and colder months since I leave my pool open.

Nowadays, I test FC/PH once each week in colder months and twice a week in warmer months. I do a full set of tests once a month. If I have a nagging feeling that my water is doing anything out of the ordinary, I go ahead and test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't think this many would answer my question, this is very much appreciated.

To summarize, for the first few weeks is the experimentation phase, until I get the hang of it through visual indicators such as pool color and clarity. FC, pH, and TA value changes easily, while calcium and CYA is not consumed in the pool.

Reactions: kul
Mark,

The idea that you have to turnover your pool water x times a day is just an old myth and not really true. Chemicals keep your pool clear, sanitized and algae free, not the number of times your water goes through the filter. The filter is just there to capture the junk that falls into your pool each day. By the time the filter captures any algae, it it too late, you have already lost the algae war.

When new, you should test every day or so.. Soon you will get a feel for how your pool works, and then test about once a week.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Goodmorning Mr. Jim,

I get the idea of just feeding the pool with FC to keep it sanitized without the need of flowing pool water into filter, but can this be done without running the pump? how FC will be evenly distributed throughout the pool without "mixing" it? I imagine myself cutting a bamboo and using it as a pool stirrer.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: clambert1273
The first few months I had my pool I checked FC every day. pH every few days. After I while I was able to guess what it would need without checking. Dropped down to testing every other day or every 3 days.

Since I installed the SWCG a couple of weeks ago, I've been testing almost every day until I get things dialed in. The temperature has been fluctuating, so I've wanted to stay on top of things. I expect ones the temps stabilize, it will be back to testing once every few days. Still checking pH every few days.

The other tests - salt, CYA, CH, and TA - get tested once every couple of weeks or if I have a reason to believe I need to. I've only checked CCs a couple of times; I generally don't have a reason to.
Goodmorning,

Do you still feed your pool with FC? How often? and do SWG consume electricity that much?
Thank you.

Goodmorning,

Do you still feed your pool with FC? How often? and do SWG consume electricity that much?
Thank you.
An SWG is really useful to maintain a FC level once it’s reached, but not large jumps in FC (as it generates a constant small amount of chlorine). You still may need to add chlorine every so often depending on FC levels if they are impacted by large events, but not constantly

Goodmorning Mr. Jim,

I get the idea of just feeding the pool with FC to keep it sanitized without the need of flowing pool water into filter, but can this be done without running the pump? how FC will be evenly distributed throughout the pool without "mixing" it? I imagine myself cutting a bamboo and using it as a pool stirrer.
There may be a terminology issue here

When you say “every turnover” do you mean every day? Or every time the pump runs enough to cycle your pool volume through it 1x times? The number of times your pump cycles your volume of pool water does not impact the sanitization by chlorine……

Your pump still needs to run to mix….

for the first few weeks is the experimentation phase, until I get the hang of it through visual indicators such as pool color and clarity.
You need to test the water each and every day as the chlorine (FC) gets consumed by the sun and organic stuff such as body sweat and such. The visual indicators will come with time BUT you will still need to test the water to find out how chlorine you need each day.
FC, pH, and TA value changes easily,
FC needs to be replenished each and every day. You can use liquid chlorine to add the FC once a day or you can get a SWG that will do the "work" of adding chlorine for you. You will need to run the pump each day to keep the water clean of anything that falls into it and to mix the chlorine in. How long you run it depends on what falls into the pool each day.

pH & TA are "married" as such they tend to go hand and hand on care. You want your pH in the 7s on the test kit. TA levels really depends on your pools needs. Daily testing of these two will show you what your pool needs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.